The 2021 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

I like Win10 because it was free, and does all i need, things that i can't do with linux
    .i have 4 machines with it,,but i wouldn't pay for it for sure,and other 3, one with vista and 2 with linux.
    Last edited by ivtec; 01-21-2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I have Windows 10 on my home PC, but with how buggy and unstable it was with my old one, I'm seriously considering switching over to Linux when I get a new laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
        Search is better
        Well, yeah, that's because they bastardized that feature in Windows Vista/7. Search in XP was pretty decent... and if not content with that, there were a few light-weight add-ons that improved it in some aspects (and no, Google Desktop Search was NOT one of them.)

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          Well, yeah, that's because they bastardized that feature in Windows Vista/7. Search in XP was pretty decent... and if not content with that, there were a few light-weight add-ons that improved it in some aspects (and no, Google Desktop Search was NOT one of them.)
          So they knew 10 was going to be a turd so they knobbled 7 so we'd appreciate 10 more ?

I use search to avoid clicking though the white UI.
          I also like right click menu on the Windows logo. I haven't been a fan of 10 up until I started my new job and got a nice laptop with 10 on, it's the slickest/fastest machine I've ever used even with 10 on and I've enabled dark mode so the UI is bearable.

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
            I like Win10 because it was free
            There's a gazillion ways to get it for free.....but the denutting process takes a lot of time....
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

So they knew 10 was going to be a turd so they knobbled 7 so we'd appreciate 10 more ?
              Well no, but I think you know what I mean.

7 built up on a lot of features that XP had, but it also ended up dropping a number of them - and this is not just something related to searching. I'm talking in general. And it mainly has to do with what Vista was before it. In Vista, they added a lot of crap that didn't need to be there. So with 7, they just fixed some of the crap in Vista and polished it a bit more. In simple terms, 7 is what Vista should have been.

In regards to search...
              Windows XP had a robust and well-understood file search system.
              In 7, MS kind of modified that to be more of a "content" search, rather than just a file search system. And in the process, they ended up dropping a few features that actually were quite helpful. Also, Windows 7 search acts rather retarded sometimes without the file Indexing Service... and Indexing Service is retarded in itself (I call it Disk I/O Wasting Service.) In XP, you can turn Indexing Service off and you still get good accurate results. 7? -Not always. And since Win7 search was "simplified" (can't do * searching, along with a few other small options), it actually makes looking for files more cumbersome.

But again, XP search was merely meant for files, and not so much content, which is what 7 tried to do, but ended up being somewhat of a failure IMO while dropping features from XP that should really have stayed. Windows 10 search is probably what they had in mind for 7... and on that note, I'm OK with Windows 10 search.

What really annoys me about 10 is the double Control Panel mix up. They should have kept it the way it was in 7 and not take anything from W8 crap Metro interface.

The way it handles installed programs (or more appropriately, apps) vs. standalone EXE/COM/BAT standalone executables is also retarted, as Televizora noted a few pages back.

There's more stuff, but I'd rather not make a detailed list here. It's mostly small things, but they add up. And it's the same way with 7, which is why I still haven't switched to it yet - not as a main desktop OS. I only use it for gaming (while it's still possible) and testing/using newer "apps" that don't or can't work properly on XP / XP hardware.

I use search to avoid clicking though the white UI.
              I have no need for that, usually.
              At least on my main desktop, I have customized the UI and start menu to a point where I can open/find things simply from muscle memory. It's the same reason I absolutely hate taskbar button grouping and shrinking to an icon (what Vista and any later version of Windows does by default.) I have good visual and muscle memory, so when I open a bunch of windows, I can go between each in an instant. With grouping, I have to hoover over it with the mouse (especially if I have, say, 10 Word documents open, and they are all bunched up into 1 button on the taskbar) and then see which one I was looking for every time... or as I often do when I'm forced to use a silly interface like that, I just Alt-Tab or Shift-Alt-Tab, because clicking through grouped bastardized taskbar buttons really pisses me off.

I also like right click menu on the Windows logo.
              That one is convenient, I give it that.
              Last edited by momaka; 01-21-2021, 10:28 PM.

Comment

You can emulate XP taskbar behavior by creating a new toolbar, and putting shortcuts in that folder you made for new shortcuts. Make the icons big, get rid of the taskbar name, and show the icon name if you want
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

You guys tried out "God Mode"? Still works and useful in W10. If not, Google...
                  ------------
                  Be a mensch

Comment

Originally posted by sofTest View Post
                    You guys tried out "God Mode"? Still works and useful in W10. If not, Google...
                    It does, but using search is superior IMO.

Comment

It does, but using search is superior IMO.
                      Yes and no, IMHO. If you know what to search for, yes, otherwise you might want another quick way to the configs.
                      ------------
                      Be a mensch

Comment

Working...
                      X