View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #38
pc7fan
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Maritimes
My Country: Canada
Line Voltage: 250V Split-phased, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Panasonic FC series - leaking? quality gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wester547 View Post
LXJ too? Yikes. Never seen one leak before but I wouldn’t put it past them. I know they were also used in old proprietary Newton Power 200W PSUs from 20+ year old Dells. FC should not use the quaternary ammonium salts. Chemi-con released a notice in 2003 (attached in this post) maintaining that none of their series in production at the time used the quaternary salts, including SXE, whose older datecodes were also known leakers. But I noticed LXJ was not included in that document. I initially thought it was because it was going out of production at the time. Maybe the real reason is due to the usage of quaternary salts in the electrolyte.
Seen that notice from NCC. LXJ is not as prone to leak from the bung as the noted ones.. but when they leak, they wreck PCB traces just like the others. The only brand from that era that I don't see pee on the board from the bung are Pannies, even HFQ.

Even then, rubber does decompose after decades. It doesn't help when ammonia/ammonium attacks rubber and some plastics, expediting the process.
pc7fan is offline   Reply With Quote