X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New tool to find short capacitors on motherboards : shorty with display

Hi Kripton
    The AD8628 come in two package types, SOP-8 (which is cheaper) or SOT23-5

I think form your pics you are using SOP-8. Can you confirm that is the correct one for your pcb?

Cheers
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
      I'd think the speed might help, but maybe not, I haven't read the code, but I rarely run out of ram or flash on these small devices.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...pecifications/
      >Dual-core Arm Cortex-M0+ processor, flexible clock running up to 133 MHz
      Ugh. Now I have to deal with threads on a tiny mcu. I think I'll pass on this one for a while, I'm pretty bought into the stm32 ecosystem. Speaking of which, I think this was recently released, it's a version of the blue pill with stm32f4 processor, usb c, and space for a flash chip on the underside. I might grab a few.
      https://docs.zephyrproject.org/lates...doc/index.html
      i'v seen the F411 blackpill,
      but you may as well spend a bit more for a nucleo64 with the chip on.
      then you get more i/o and an st-link programmer/debugger module.

Comment

@dicky96
        yes I use the ad8628 in the sop-8 package for my pcb. (and the mcp3421 in sot23-6)
        anyway as I will publish the kicad files (schematic and pcb) once the pcb is ok
        you will be able to change the package if you need it.

Comment

Thanks kripton - I wanted to order the components I don't have in stock so they are here on the slow boat from china by the time your PCB is ready. Really it's just the AD8628, MCP3421, OLED display and Arduino nano I need to get. Everything else I think I have.
          Follow me on YouTube
          ------------------
          Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Originally posted by kripton2035 View Post
            @dicky96
            yes I use the ad8628 in the sop-8 package for my pcb. (and the mcp3421 in sot23-6)
            anyway as I will publish the kicad files (schematic and pcb) once the pcb is ok
            you will be able to change the package if you need it.
            Will you be offering this in kit form if so what do you think the cost would be

Thanks again
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Will you be offering this in kit form if so what do you think the cost would be
              sorry only bare pcb for now. may be later a smd-only populated pcb if there is interest.
              you should be able to get all the components for less than $20
              Last edited by kripton2035; 03-10-2021, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Hy, there is my 'producat' or copy of Kripton2035/Shorty with little modifications/add , hardware an sofware. I replace AD8628
                with LTC 1050 and work fine. From five of LTC1050 , only one give good results of measurement - offer high precision on low ohm value or high ohm value on this device. I used Atmega328, not Arduino. Have fun with work !
                For me was, a lot!
                Attached Files

Comment

sorry only bare pcb for now. may be later a smd-only populated pcb if there is interest.
                  you should be able to get all the components for less than $20
                  What would the cost of a unpopulated board plus shipping cost
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

i think that was already answered in post #40.
                    Last edited by stj; 04-03-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

nice to see other variations around my project !

the pcb is ready to send to manufacture (for prototype and test only). should receive it in 2 weeks. then test it and if it is ok manufacture in greater qty.
                      it should cost EUR 10 with untracked shipping, and EUR 15 with tracking.
                      there will be an order button on my pcb page of the project.

for now, the last variation of the pcb.
                      Attached Files

Comment

nice to see other variations around my project !

the pcb is ready to send to manufacture (for prototype and test only). should receive it in 2 weeks. then test it and if it is ok manufacture in greater qty.
                        it should cost EUR 10 with untracked shipping, and EUR 15 with tracking.
                        there will be an order button on my pcb page of the project.

for now, the last variation of the pcb.
                        Do you have a website with more info on please?

Comment

sure !
                          http://kripton2035.free.fr/Projects/shorty-display.html

Comment

OK I'm ready to buy once you have the PCB available. Thanks
                            Follow me on YouTube
                            ------------------
                            Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Keep the project updated, I would like to buy one when possible

Comment

Any news on when the PCBs will be ready? I have all the parts here now and I'm keen to try building one
                                Follow me on YouTube
                                ------------------
                                Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

i also have all the parts , now i just need to find time to build it
                                  the chinese shipped all the shit real fast though.
                                  funny how actually paying for the post has that effect!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    (...)
                                    the chinese shipped all the shit real fast though.
                                    funny how actually paying for the post has that effect!
                                    Now you left me curious...
                                    From my experience (couple of hundreds or less) i always got the feeling the sellers were only playing around with the items price and shipping cost (except for express delivery, of course).
                                    Would you mind sharing the site url... (not plain text )

Comment

I received the pcb some times ago. but there is a failure I did not find until now.
                                      I made some changes in the schematic, using a constant current source for better repetability,
                                      well I'm still investing. the voltage regulator is giving 2.4V instead of 5V
                                      ... and it does not seems to be a short circuit !

Comment

Originally posted by megaraider View Post
                                        Now you left me curious...
                                        From my experience (couple of hundreds or less) i always got the feeling the sellers were only playing around with the items price and shipping cost (except for express delivery, of course).
                                        Would you mind sharing the site url... (not plain text )
                                        just ali-express sellers in general.
                                        just dont use super cuano shipping!!
                                        i opt for ali standard or saver shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                          just ali-express sellers in general.
                                          just dont use super cuano shipping!!
                                          i opt for ali standard or saver shipping.
                                          Thanks @stj
                                          That's what i usually do, but the outcome -time to arrive- varies widely. [Portugal, Western Europe]

Comment

Working...
                                          X