Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

470 'uf' 35V CapXon, Selecting the right cap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

470 'uf' 35V CapXon, Selecting the right cap.

Hey fellows,

I am repairing a TV power supply for a shutdown problem. I have read and read about CapXon caps being the absolute pits as far as quality. This PSB has 8 large size caps and 8 small ones. I plan to replace the large ones since 3 of the 8 are popped and one leaking. I don't think I need to recap the small ones even though they are the same brand.

However, The specific size/rating I am trying to get for the last cap (one that is actually leaking) is not available online here. I checked out Mouser, but it seems there are about 20 different caps to choose from in the Nichicon brand.

How can I find the right capacitor? the options I have to filter left are, Ripple Current, Load LIfe, and General Purpose or Low Impedance. Any help guys?

Thanks,
    Mac

edit: should be a pic in another thread I started about an Olevia TV if anyone is curious for pics.
    Last edited by mntegra01; 11-26-2014, 02:46 PM.

Re: 470 'uf' 35V CapXon, Selecting the right cap.

what are the capxon series?
    it's printed on them.
    and the diameter & height?

Comment

I chose a general purpose category and it left me with one choice.

MFG# UPB1V471MPD

I assume a Gen purpose cap will be fine for a TV power supply board.

Why are caps so cheap????

Comment

sorry guys, I was looking at the wrong cap. and its not CapXcon.
        Simple mistake by me. It is a brown colored heatshrink on it. I will get better info when I get home in a few hours.
        Last edited by mntegra01; 11-26-2014, 03:56 PM.

Comment

"I assume a Gen purpose cap will be fine for a TV power supply board" Not for switching power supply, you need LOW ESR/LOW IMPEDANCE TYPE with 105C temp rating.
          I use PANASONIC FM/FR/FC series for all my repair.
          You should change them all except the main big filter cap.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

So you suggest to replace the smaller caps as well? There is a picture in my Olevia TV thread I started. They seem ok at the time. So basically because they are just as worn as other caps and are of shoddy brand I should replace them also.

Thanks for help.

Comment

Yes! I have seen alot of these small caps fail open (no capacitance and infinite ESR). They may look fine from the outside but they often fail open IMO. Most of these caps are from shoddy brands like CapXon, Fuhjyyu, and the like. Most of time, for the 5mm diameter caps (like 1uF and the like) are general purpose but high temperature rated caps. These are just as important to the operation of the power supply or circuit as the filtering caps (220+ uF). Since often they filter the power just for the microcontrollers, these chips control the device. If these caps happen to fail, the device may work very eratically or plain not work. So yes, as a precaution, replace ALL the capacitors.
              Last edited by pc7fan; 11-27-2014, 01:43 PM. Reason: More ex.

Comment

Excellent advice. I will replace all the caps on that power supply. Now im on the hunt for a decent soldering iron.

Comment

then consider a hakko 880d
                  search the forum for stuff about irons.

Comment

Getting back to having good information, I have 16 caps to replace in total.
                    14 are CapXon
                    2 are United Chemi-con

12 are CapXon KF
                    2 are CapXon GL
                    2 are United Chemi-com KY

The replacements I bought here were different series but ALL Rubycon. ZLH, ZLJ, MCZ and the last one was a 1000 uf/16v and I bought both available online here. One a HZ and the other a ZLH, Only difference I noticed at first was the size. But the orginal one is 10mm x 20mm

What is the difference between series? It seems size and possibly application (general purpose and low impedance)?

Thanks,
                    Mac

Comment

i hope you didnt use ebay.

Comment

Also you should use the next higher voltage rating if possible!

Comment

No, I bought them from badcaps.net since site is so useful I chose to support the forum. I made a spreadsheet on original caps vs. the Rubycons I bought and they will definately work and have higher ripple current.

The other 8 caps (2 of each) range from
                          4.7uF @ 50v ripple current rating 90
                          10uF @ 50v 120
                          33uF @ 35v 175
                          100uF @ 25v 370

values taken from website http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/Capxon/

In these smaller capacitance values, it is being a challenge finding the correct caps online at digi-key or mouser. I am going back and forth checking ripple current so I can get the best suited new cap with a decent brand. Seems Rubycon and Panasonic don't make every single thing that CapXon does with same or higher ripple currents.

Comment

or more likely, capXon have a wild imagination!
                            if i had the money t buy a capacitor analyser i'd buy some of these capXon, FuckYuu, Teapo etc and see how close they are to the datasheets.

some of the caps these company's make really do seem like they either have a hidden technology better than Rubycon or Panasonic, or they are just liers!!
                            specially the really small 4700uf caps that show up in pc powersupplies that are the same size as decent makes of 3300 / 3700 uf caps.

Comment

I guess by your statement I can assume that CapXon values are bloated and I should be able to find an appropriately matched quality cap.

Comment

capxon and bloated are 2 words that often go together.

Comment

Haha that pun made my night.

Comment

Diving deeper into Mouser and choosing a cap for my replacements,

it seems that Nichicon will be the brand I go with for these smaller caps. I am having some concerns as to which cap is better suited to the application.

4.7uF/50v either PS or PW series, only difference I see is higher reliabilty, except that on Mouser... they are cheaper which makes me curious, is the more expensive one better or the higher reliability. a difference of 6 cents between the 2 make me cautious.

next..

10uF/50v same options PS or PW

33uF/35v options are PW or HE or PV

100uF/25v options are HD or PM

anyone care to offer up a choice of the options I have left on what series to choose from? I am a noob and have no idea what I am really looking at besides choosing specs of a cap from what I know of the old cap. I did a search before on choosing a cap but never refined my search to a few options left and searched those specific series. But I hope anyone else looking for help and experience from others like I have, can come here and learn as well.

Thanks,
                                    Mac

Comment

Working...
                                    X