Olevia 542-b11 psb fsp271-4f02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olevia 542-b11 psb fsp271-4f02

I made an intro in the new member section.

So here is my current situation with a TV that was given to me free.

Problem: TV works fine with great picture using my Wii. However, the TV will turn off after a few hours on its own. I only used the tv once since possessing it. But previous owner got rid of it for that reason. When it shuts off the blue stand-by LED comes on right away. It is leading me to believe it is a overheating power with the power supply.

I took it all apart and found what seems to be some bad caps. one is leaking just barely at the top and 3 are popped. They are CapXon capacitors. I am going to replace the 8 large ones. The other 8 small caps seem to be ok, but are the same brand.

I have had two people suggest that the heatsink is overheating and causing the system to go into protection mode and shutdown. I didn't think there was much to 'fix' a heatsink. I guess I could remove them and reapply thermal paste??

I will get some pictures up as soon as I figure out how to get them from my phone and photobucket to here.

Thanks,
    Mac

Re: Olevia 542-b11 psb fsp271-4f02

added pics
    Attached Files

Comment

ADD more pics..

EDIT... using the master list for replacement caps, I have come across a 1000mf at 16V but there are two different series. I measured the cap and it is a cross between the HZ and HN series in size. the cap on the board is 10mm X 20mm (WxH) but the ones listed in the master list for purchase are listed either as 10mm x 16mm or 8mm x 20mm. any help on figuring which cap I need?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mntegra01; 11-25-2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I would try replacing those domed capacitors on the power supply. That will cause a shutdown or a no restart condition. Most likely the issue
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I have a couple OLEVIA LCDs with bad screens.. If you need some replacement parts, just PM me. I'de be happy to send them out.

Michale

Comment

I just bought news Rubycon caps online here. I did not get the last one because it seems to be backordered. Ill get it from Amazon I guess. It is a 470mF 35V. Or any recommendations for a quality place to get the cap?

Comment

Got my caps in today. Got 7 of 16 desoldered. Had a hard ass time getting new solder to stick to the lead. I gave up for the night and well probably getting new solder. I am using 8 year old r radio shack solder. High tech silver bearing solder. Very thin. About half the leads did good then I just gave up for tonight. Tried so much I need to clean the solder rosin off.before I try again.

Comment

"High tech silver bearing solder" why do you not use regular lead solder and flux?
                Last edited by budm; 12-01-2014, 11:53 PM.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

It was what I had. Im going to get new stuff today. It worked great on my Phillips 60" RPTV when I soldered in new ICs. and When I did ONE cap in my car radio unit. Thanks for reply. I am still waiting on smaller caps from Mouser to come in.

Comment

Excited about getting in my new caps from BCN.

RS3, RS5, RS11 were the caps I replaced in the first pic.

then next to CS3, BS1, I guess I forgot to snap a pic of the other two 680uF/25v caps I installed.

I honestly had a hard time getting one solder joint done well. On the RPTV IC repair I did twice, never had so much trouble. even with regular 60/40 rosin solder, I had a hella time getting just that one single joint done. Anyway, I changed the tip to another chisel tip and first shot, done.

Cleaned the board up, was looking kinda white with residue after cleaning with 91% isopropyl alcohol, but after multiple scrubbings it cleared up. Must have been a film on the entire board from manufacturing.

I installed the recapped board, hooked everything up, left the back cover off of TV and powered it on. I left it on for about 5 hours watching DVDs last night. It didnt shut off a single time.

However I still have 8 other caps on the PSB that are CapXon and one United Chemicon. I understand the UCC is great brand, but TV is 8 years old I think, so I will just replace it anyways. All the other caps are small 4.7uF to 100uF. So Im guessing there is no problem at this time, but I am gong to replace them before the ruin a different component that I cannot diagnose at this time with my limited knowledge and tools. (I do not have a multimeter)

Also left the back cover of TV off to go back in there and do second round of caps, but I am wondering if TV was able to dissipate heat better with cover off, therefore NOT overheating and shutting down.

So thanks again Badcaps.net for helping with my second successful cap repair.

Mac
                    Attached Files

Comment

well, It seems I did NOT fix the problem. I used the TV with the cover off and no problems. I then came back from vacation and soldered the 8 smaller caps in. TV turned on fine all good. TV shut off again. So turned on the ceiling fan and the TV stayed on much longer until it was bedtime. Tuesday night it finally popped. So I turned the I/O switch and pulled the plug and disassembled again.

So I decided my solder joints were very horrible, took it to a electronics shop and the guy fixed the solder joints, but he pointed out a ball of solder that dropped accidentally between two surface mount resistors. He cleaned that up and said the connections were now good. So I installed it back into the TV, played the TV for a few hours while I took apart my computer. seemed to be fine. I get the cover back on the TV and everything secured. TV shuts off a while later. and if I turn it back on within seconds, the blues are purple and other colors seem washed. But If I let it cool off a few more minutes and turn back on, everything is fine.

Lastly, new problem since the bridged solder joint, remote turns TV on but not off, volume buttons do not work on remote, but do work on unit itself. Only thing I can think of is the solder joint shorted something.

I like to learn and try because Im too cheap and broke to pay anyone else, but seems I messed myself up more this time around. My profession is actually working on cars. So, I am way out of my field and don't have the right tools for this job.

I think I am just going to dremmel a hole in top of the case and hook a fan up somehow. to keep things cool.

Comment

I just drilled a bunch of 1 inch holes in the back of my phillips lcd after recapping inverter, no problems since.

Comment

funny you say its a Phillips LCD. This Olevia has Phillips LG tag on the boards on the side of the TV at the edge (inverter boards, now that I just googled what an inverter is), and noteable is that they used I assume real Rubycon Caps, but the PSU had CapXon, UCC, and the A/V board has CapXon and Jackon caps.

Any one run into a problem with partial remote functions? I would assume it all works or not at all... especially when the tv set itself has buttons that DO work for volume and powering on and off.
                          Last edited by mntegra01; 12-18-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Well, tonight the remote works, but after an hour of playing Wii with my kid. It went buzz really loud almost like snowy picture, and the screen went scrambled and lots of green tones. Turned tv off 5 mins, works great again, but I turned on ceiling fan and working for half hour now. I guess I need to take off the cover and heat up certain parts of the boards and try to find the fault.

Comment

Working...
                            X