• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG LST5651SW stove: oven not heating properly

Here's the sheet of diagrams.
    Attached Files

Comment

From the pictures: Everything looks OK, board soldering has a few rough spots but no big fractures. There is no thermal safety switch in this model.

I do see a blackened diode with splat of solder, on the relay on the right. I'd look to see if the relay spit some molten metal or what. Both diodes should look identical.

RY6 is Bake, RY5 is Broil, RY8 DLB is the safety relay for both.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by redwire; 01-08-2023, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Since the top element (broil) works, I would suspect that RY6 is bad.

It may or may not be getting told to turn on but to check that it would require working on a live oven.

You could give the smaller relay a couple taps with a screwdriver handle and see if the bake element comes on, then you know the relay itself is bad.
        Last edited by R_J; 01-08-2023, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Here's the diagram sheet.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            Is this wire (red arrows) all connected to the same point (red ac line in)?
            Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious808 View Post
              Yes.
              I figured that after seeing the diagram but wanted to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                I do see a blackened diode with splat of solder, on the relay on the right. I'd look to see if the relay spit some molten metal or what. Both diodes should look identical.
                One doesn't look like the others. Is this the problem?

Attached Files

Comment

D38 does look a bit different but I doubt that is the problem, The only one that would cause the problem you are having (no bake element) would be if D36 was a dead short across the relay coil, causing the relay to not operate.

Comment

The diodes look fine, one was black in the picture but it must be lighting.

I would put it back together and run the oven and make a (live) voltage measurement. Are you OK to do this? As long as the dog/kid etc. don't come running in, and your multimeter+probes are reasonably good quality.

I would measure the output of the relay board going to the bake heating element and confirm there is 240VAC across the wires to power the bake element. Like this:

"-->Set the oven to bake and check for 220 Volts AC across BAKE and L2 or DLB-OUT. The terminals are marked on the board. L1 is voltage into the board. then, depending on what's selected, bake or broil, it comes out through the relay and to one side of the element. The L2 voltage goes into the board and comes out the Double Line Break relay OUT and is common for both elements.
                    Touch one meter lead to BAKE and touch the other to L2 then BAKE. Your meter should indicate 220 Volts AC for both measurements."

pic taken from Jake at ApplianceBlog.com thread but no solution was posted.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The diodes look fine, one was black in the picture but it must be lighting.
                      R8 looks broken up inside, compared to the others. That's fine?

I would put it back together and run the oven and make a (live) voltage measurement. Are you OK to do this? As long as the dog/kid etc. don't come running in, and your multimeter+probes are reasonably good quality.
                      Sounds ominous. I get the risk. Does this multimeter look up to the job?

Is it possible to continuity test the relay board first (the tech sheet says to do that)?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Curious808; 01-08-2023, 07:24 PM.

Comment

The meter should be fine, but PLEASE be careful, you are checking 240vac, so find a way to attach one lead, and probe with the other keeping one hand only to probe the high voltage.

to check the dc voltage across the diodes you can use both hands to hold each probe but again be careful.

If you are comfortable doing the above test, you can also check the dc voltage across each of those diodes, the voltage across the diodes would be around 12vdc, this test will confirm there is drive to each relay and if the voltage IS there, confirm a bad relay
                        Last edited by R_J; 01-08-2023, 07:30 PM.

Comment

i also suggest if very low or no volts to the element try disconnect the element and see if something like full voltage is there .if so there is a bad contact . possibly inside the relay .

Comment

I would check the bake relay because these relays are notorious for going bad

The easiest way to check them is when the bake relay is being called to be on check the terminals on the relay terminals for voltage if you have voltage a crossed the terminals then your relay has issues with it and you can do the same exact thing with the broil relay as well and compare the results
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply
                            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

"-->Set the oven to bake and check for 220 Volts AC across BAKE and L2 or DLB-OUT. The terminals are marked on the board. L1 is voltage into the board. then, depending on what's selected, bake or broil, it comes out through the relay and to one side of the element. The L2 voltage goes into the board and comes out the Double Line Break relay OUT and is common for both elements.
                              Touch one meter lead to BAKE and touch the other to L2 then BAKE. Your meter should indicate 220 Volts AC for both measurements."
                              Oven turned on, preheating to 350. There were several clicks over a couple of minutes. Tested several times.

BAKE YELLOW / BAKE BLACK 0.01 VAC
                              BROIL YELLOW / BAKE BLACK 240 VAC

No connector post at L2. The holes are bridged with solder.

L2 (holes) / BAKE BLACK 0.05 VAC

The photo shows what was tested.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Curious808; 01-09-2023, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Replace the orange relay RY6, as long as it is being told to close (12vdc across coil) the contacts are open.

Looks like Digikey pt# PB2478-ND, P & B # 1-14155369 (RTH34012WG) SPST-NO (1Form A) 16A
                                Last edited by R_J; 01-09-2023, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Tested the diodes. Not sure if that's how, but touched probes to lead wires on either side (see photo).

Set oven to 350, preheat started.

R6 0.0 VDC
                                  R5 13.5 VDC
                                  R8 13.5 VDC

Tested 3-4 times each.

(Thanks for the help, and sorry if it's taking so long. First time doing most of this, so taking it slow.)
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Now this is why I asked about the coil voltage, R6 (RY6) it has no voltage, so the coil is not energized, so this relay will not close, so it looks like the problem is somewhere else, It looks like the wire for that relay is pin4 of CN8.
                                    So check the wires and that plugs connections, if they are ok, trace that 6 wire cable, it likely goes to the main controller.

Looks like that cable connects to CN7 on the main controller
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by R_J; 01-09-2023, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                      Now this is why I asked about the coil voltage, R6 (RY6) it has no voltage, so the coil is not energized, so this relay will not close, so it looks like the problem is somewhere else, It looks like the wire for that relay is pin4 of CN8.
                                      So check the wires and that plugs connections, if they are ok, trace that 6 wire cable, it likely goes to the main controller.

Looks like that cable connects to CN7 on the main controller
                                      Sorry, not clear. Does that mean that the whole relay board is fine, and the problem is elsewhere?

Comment

I'd say yes, the oven relay board looks OK and the problem is upstream. That means a little scream and then pulling the control board out. Or first taking clear pictures of the control board in the area that goes to the little cable that goes down to the relay board.

There is power to the oven relay board, Broil and DLB relay have coil power, but zilch for the Bake relay coil. That means troubleshoot the command signal to turn on the bake heater relay. This comes from the control board I believe.

It's worth the patience to troubleshoot, at least down to the board level because it's gets expensive otherwise. Hang in there. This is fun. So much fun.

Comment

Trying to find the LG service manual for the LST5651 and I couldn't find anything. So, looking for its EBR74632606 Oven Control Board PCB Assembly, I find the same board is also used in American model number LSB5682.
                                          I did find that service manual, give it a looksee and I think it can help, it has a few extra options that might not be the same as your stove.

So it seems to have no test modes, the service manual advice is replace the temp sensor, then the relay board, then the control board. OUCH that's crazy expensive.

Next would be to remove the control board and post pictures here. LG does have low quality soldering so hopefully that's all we have to look for.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X