Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives to Power-Z?

Hello everyone!

I am looking for an alternative to the Power-Z USB power meter, like the model KM001. Are there no alternatives to this? Other than other models from the same company? This is a very popular meter that repair pros use.

I have a very simple and inexpensive USB power meter. I think it costed around 20 - 30 USD. I'm looking to upgrade it to one that has the logging and graphing functions like the one I mentioned above. Something in the same price range of 80 - 100 USD. Any suggestions?

I actually have a DC power supply that has a USB port and Modbus support, so I can control it from the computer by a COM port over USB, and I can get the power graphing function this way. But it comes with a crappy software that makes it difficult to use. Would it be possible to buy a compatible third party software? Using the DC power supply would be ideal for logging and graphing voltage and current, because you're not locked in to USB voltage and current levels.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Alternatives to Power-Z?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDNLUoQW53w
    ??

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOlhibDUJgs
      ??

Comment

I thought the suggested Fnirsi FNB58 was too expensive and it's PC software is not very good. It also seems to have too many functions, when all I need is a solid graphing function. So I ordered the Ruideng TC66C. I first found it here: https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/05...-data-logging/

I have received it and it seems like a good quality product, it's easy to use, not too many buttons and it does not have one million functions and twenty modes like this weird looking oscilloscope on that Fnirsi device. I have not tested the PC software yet, I will do that next.

I wonder, is there no cheap power meter similar to these USB meters that can simply measure current, voltage and power directly from the battery terminal? Without all these USB related things like PD, QC 2.0, QC 3.0, BlaBla 4.0, and so on? Just plain and simple Ohm's law on a graph? That's all I really want.
        Last edited by R7027; 01-28-2023, 06:02 PM.

Comment

you cant get current without a shunt in series with the power,
          and you cant get logging on cheap devices.
          i have a meter that shows voltage and current for about €2 but it has no interface - just a display

you could make something with an arduino and a module with something like an INA226 on it
          Attached Files

Comment

The idea of building something of my own sounds very tempting. I do have an Arduino Uno I could probably use for this. I will explore this later. Thanks for sharing! But what kind of device can do logging and graphing, that's not a USB meter? Something from makers of professional devices like Siglent or Rigol I presume.

Comment

i know the rigol psu's can graph and log - but those cost serious money, psu's are more expensive than scopes.

Comment

Power Z has no cheap alternative as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                X