X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION

Originally posted by japlytic
    In the L&C LC-B450E 450W supply, the 330uF 200V primary capacitors are inadequate for a supply of this size.
    And those primary capacitors are also generic (has some logo that is the planet saturn) caps.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic
      In the L&C LC-B450E 450W supply, the 330uF 200V primary capacitors are inadequate for a supply of this size. They should be at least 680uF.
      Please explain why, I live to learn

From this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1202

Originally posted by Per Hansson
      Can someone more knowledgeable than me please comment on the very small rating of the Primary bulk cap, only 270uF, and 220uF in the 350w Seasonic?

Is it due to the active PFC or something? I mean I've seen Primary caps in L&C powersupplies with almost twice the farad rating!!!
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

New Dell Server PowerEdge 2800 which has 2x2.8Ghz dual core Xeons has PSU 930W!
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Well, i was going to post pics of my Delta DPS 300BB, but it looks like larrymoencurly already has.. I bought a pair of them back when directron.com had them for $13 each.. I wish i would have bought at least 6 more of them..

They are perfect for running AMD socket A systems that are demanding of +5V and +3.3V. I've got one in my HTPC as a matter of fact, although it would probably work fine with a 250W PSU, i want that little HTPC to live a long and happy life, so it gets a server grade 300W Delta.

It's probably the best built PSU i've seen, when it comes to heatsinks, tons of toroids, and good quality capacitors. If only the 300BB had a +12V P4 connector, it would be powering my Athlon 64 also..

On the label, it says that you can have 245W max between the +3.3 and +5. I wish Delta would sell their stuff to end users. I'd love a 400W PCIexpress compliant one..

Comment

Originally posted by gg1978
            If only the 300BB had a +12V P4 connector, it would be powering my Athlon 64 also..
            Do you mean you haven't added the connector to it? There's an unused hole in the circuit board for the pair of +12V wires, but for the ground wires I had to drill a hole really close to a capacitor. Sure, this PSU is rated for only 13.5A @ +12V, but they're honest amps.

Comment

I have a question. There are always very low capacitance (2.2 to 10uf), medium volted (25-50v) caps on PSUs. Some are found beside transformers, some near coils, etc. Should these caps remain during recapping, as some are hard to reach?

Comment

These very little caps should be left alone since 470uf or 1000uf or more caps are affected. The very little caps aren't affected.
                My gaming PC:

Comment

A bad Jamicon 1uF cap in my TV caused the picture to stretch at the bottom part. And several years ago, my then-fairly new cheapo PSU, maybe a Deer, a 1uF, 16V cap shorted, and after replacing it I borrowed my friend's scope and saw 50V spikes across it and a few other 16V caps.

Comment

You can leave most of the small caps alone, barring a few related to the ATX auxiliary supply, which generates +5VSB. There's a primary side flyback cap there that fails often - check the thread on Eurocase PSUs for more details.

Comment

Originally posted by dood
                      Thermaltake PUREPOWER-480AD ATX12V PSU

Fancy brushed aluminum plate... functionality? Guess again...

Teapo main caps...

And teapos on the other side too...

This PSU has not been used yet, so unsure of its reliability. I'd guess it's not too bad. Comes with a PCI plate or 5 1/4" drive bay filler for a fan speed knob, i think.
                      I think that was made by High Power, their HPC-480-102DF power supply has the same dual orange 80MM fans, black casing, and even the same amp ratings.

http://www.highpowersupply.com/produ...c480102df.html

High Power HPC-480-102DF

Dood's ThermalTake
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Newbie2; 02-02-2006, 01:45 PM.
                      My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                        powmax redundant.
                        note the burst cap in lower right.note the engrish on the label!
                        this is on +5stby.
                        this unit was in a hot spare server plugged in but not running.
                        if it were run any at all all the caps would have likely failed.
                        That Powmax redundant power supply has been known to give out a small puff of smoke, but work okay after the first turn-on.
                        My gaming PC:

Comment

okia 450w
                          A search of the UL file number for that power supply (E194657) shows that the company is BROADWAY COM CORP, which is actually in the USA!

BROADWAY COM CORP
                          19715 E HARRISON AVE
                          CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA 91789 USA

TigerDirect sells an Okia 450W and it got 4 good reviews. On TigerDirect right now it is the 2nd best seller and it is usally the 4th or 3rd best seller on the best seller list for power supplies on TigerDirect.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ab=11&NoMapp=0

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=106

that okia unit was in a p4 2.8 with 6 hdd,2 opticals and lots of lights.
                          +5 was running 4.35!
                          it got hot enough to stink.
                          got a worse one than that to post later!
                          Where did you get that 4.35V reading on the +5V rail?

Did you use the motherboard voltage monitoring or did you use something that has more accurate readings?
                          Last edited by Newbie2; 02-22-2006, 02:17 PM.
                          My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                            A search of the UL file number for that power supply (E194657) shows that the company is BROADWAY COM CORP, which is actually in the USA!

BROADWAY COM CORP
                            19715 E HARRISON AVE
                            CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA 91789 USA

TigerDirect sells an Okia 450W and it got 4 good reviews. On TigerDirect right now it is the 2nd best seller and it is usally the 4th or 3rd best seller on the best seller list for power supplies on TigerDirect.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ab=11&NoMapp=0

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=106

Where did you get that 4.35V reading on the +5V rail?

Did you use the motherboard voltage monitoring or did you use something that has more accurate readings?
                            read from a drive cable with a fluke 77
                            and good reviews cant change the crap i see in this one!
                            and us oldtimers call them tigerdefect :-)
                            those reviews were likely posted by a shill.
                            and remember the cheapest is usually the best seller .

Comment

Looks like Broadway Com Corp is an importer. Now, if you want to build a computer while on a backpacking trip, they might have everything you need.
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
                                I have the same PSU, Tyler, it's a Dell/Lite-On unit. They sneezed all over the inside of the PSU.
                                That snot is better than a noisy singing PSU.
                                Must have been done by a girl because guys can aim.

Comment

Pictures of the FSP235-60GT are found on https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=fsp235-60gt

Mine was built in 1998, and had smaller heatsinks than the ones in the link. It also had some "WC" brand capcitors, as seen on https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...3126#post13126

The first filtering capacitors for the +5V and +3.3V rails were Fuhjyyu TMR Series (3300uF 10V), with the output capacitors being Fuhjyyu TNR Series (4700uF 10V TNR for +3.3V; 3300uF 10V TNR for +5V). There was one "WC" branded capacitor (1000uF 16V) on the +12V rail - a bit inadequate.
                                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Should I be worried about this PSU found inside my external drive enclosure?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...3626#post13626

It's not UL approved, and there's no room to add a line filter because the circuit board normally sits right next to the AC receptacle. Also the plastic sleeving of the black/gold cap at the far right was melted in a few places, and its leads had a big solder bridge between them -- on the top side of the PC board.

OTOH the USB-IDE controller is based on an NEC chip

Comment

Looks like total POS.

Comment

those green caps are Koshin brand.
                                        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

That power supply looks like junk to me - the manufacturer had cut quite a few corners in it. There is also a Fcon capacitor in it as well. If there are no specifications on the supply, I recommend a good supply with 2A output each on 5V and 12V.
                                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                                          X