Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Improving CRT geometry by upgrading capacitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitto View Post
Because the quality of the picture, its contrast, the blacks, the colours and the sharpness beats hands down the quality of any LCD I've encountered so far.
Exactly!

Well, I don't know about the sharpness of a CRT beating any LCD. In fact, CRTs are typically a lot less sharp than LCD monitors (due to pixels in CRTs not being exactly square, unlike LCDs.) But you are absolutely right about the colors, contrast, and deep blacks. Also, don't forget that CRTs do not show any tearing on a moving image, regardless if the image is v-synced or not. This is why video/moving image on a CRT running even at 60 Hz still looks more fluid than an LCD. And also why analog video looks better on a CRT than LCD... well, it's that, and the fact that CRTs have a more neutral mid-tone colors. LCDs tend to "exaggerate" colors near mid-brightness levels, and this makes compression artifacts on video (especially low-bit rate and non-HD) show a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitto View Post
Apart from that, picture is outstanding and even movements on both movies and games have perfect responsiveness already at 85Hz.
Indeed.
This is why I still actually use CRTs for gaming. Many people ask me why I keep those old things until they try them out. The difference really is noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearchris View Post
Unless you have some really top of the line CRT, running any modern software will be quite painful on a low-res crt.
Not really.

Most web pages still render fine on 1024x768, and that's the resolution I still use quite frequently myself. For other software, bigger resolution may be needed to fit more stuff on the screen. Personally, though, I don't like that, because then text becomes to small to read. I like to sit fairly far from my monitors, so very larger resolutions start to bother me a lot if the text becomes too small to read. I don't like hunching over the screen to see it.

That said, I only switch to higher resolutions when gaming... and by higher, I mean 1152x864 or 1280x960. On a CRT (especially standard 17" and 19"), those resolutions don't look grainy at all, unlike on an LCD. Very rarely, I may do 1600x1200 on my 21" CRTs, but it's rare. I rather sacrifice resolution (especially on older PCs) to gain framerate and higher refresh rate. 85 Hz on a CRT looks amazing for gaming.

In terms of image color quality, I wouldn't say that a large "top of the line" CRT necessarily looks better. Most CRTs actually have a trade-off between contrast and screen size. For a given tube anode voltage and current, bigger screen means light output from the tube is spread over a bigger area, and that means lowered contrast. I find this to be especially true for Sony CRTs. Both of my 21" Sony's have significantly worse contrast than the 17" and 19" models from the same line. So if I want better "cinematic experience", I go for the smaller screens. On that note, I find 19" CRTs to be the best compromise between contrast and screen size.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote