Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!

When semiconductor thermal protection material gets hot , it looks for something to eat. Like good ribs , the wire was a microwave meal.

Comment

So much for the stickers for UL Certification on the box. They didn't work. lol
      It's really surprising that we have all been fitted with $20 PSU's in the past , while the system was over a grand in total. Not that I am power hungry , but that is obsurd. I'd say the caps on that board were good , what brand were they???

Comment

I have a ps from a friend. its a bestec. inside, i found a cap that had burned itself and everything around it. i see burnt, ried electolyte dripping out of the fried remains. ash all over inside of box.

YIKES!!!!!
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Is this Bestec the model number ATX-250 12E?
          Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

it was a 250 watt

thats probably it, it came out of an emachines t5026

explains all of the old owner's bsods (he thought he was infected )

all bad caps jamicons (so was the fan, go figure)

what makes it a shame was that it had thick wire, thick sheet metal box, nice, extruded heatsinks, good board material, and the big caps were nippon chemi-cons. a few apples ruined the barrel on this one... a bit too charred for me to recap it...
            Last edited by ratdude747; 06-01-2009, 10:16 PM. Reason: forgot to say somthing
            sigpic

Comment

Worst cap meltdown I ever saw was from an old cheap mobo when I used to work at PC Club. Had a computer come in that wouldn't post, pulled the panel, and on the side of the board (the side that sits at the bottom, a cap blew, and caught fire. Burnt up the motherboard, taking out the ram, and several of the IDE cables along the way. Was pretty impressive. Witch I took pictures.

Comment

I hear you. I would not recommend Bestec ever.

Comment

Originally posted by wetback View Post
                  I got that beat... I had a cap pop on a Soyo board, they claimed I samaged the board because there were componates missing (they f'ing BURNED OFF!!)

Did they happen to be Sacon caps? My old Soyo motherboard only uses Sacon caps and it never functioned properly out of the box (apg x8 mode). I personally will never buy anything made by them again.

Comment

recap it... my friend has an old soyo (all wendell and sacon) that i am recapping for him right now. my dad had jetway issues and it was all evercon (sacon before the second name change)... before i fully fixed it, it ran fine after a partial recap, however, i was a tard and killed it during the full recap. i wish i had that board undamaged... nice form factor (7 slots, 2 rows of holes deep), VIA chipset for pIII, possibly tualie comaptible, max 1.5gb ram, and lots built in goodies.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have received a Macintosh with a psu that had black stuff covering the transformer, capacitors, everything you name it! There was also black stuff on the outside. The voltage rail was toast and perhaps beyond repair. The psu did not stay around for long.
                      they call, they telnet, I hangup, I laugh, I get hiccups and digital breakups.

Comment

I had an Abit AG8-V go out on me. One of the caps blew suddenly and took out the NB. Fortunately, nothing else was taken out. There was some system instability associated with it, but I thought it was just driver issues.

Comment

That Happend To My Video Card........Sadly
                          Thanks, cookieCAM (Cam)--Updated:March 2011

Comment

At least This Did Not Happen To My Arcade Games....
                            Thanks, cookieCAM (Cam)--Updated:March 2011

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              it was a 250 watt

thats probably it, it came out of an emachines t5026

explains all of the old owner's bsods (he thought he was infected )

all bad caps jamicons (so was the fan, go figure)

what makes it a shame was that it had thick wire, thick sheet metal box, nice, extruded heatsinks, good board material, and the big caps were nippon chemi-cons. a few apples ruined the barrel on this one... a bit too charred for me to recap it...
                              I got two emachines that were beyond repair cause the "Bestec" brand power supply had a capacitor blow up in the 5v stand-by circuit, making too much voltage go to the motherboard, and SHORT both motherboards out...

they were bestec ATX-250 12E power supplies, and had good chemi-cons on the board EXCEPT for the 5volt-sub. the capacitor, a jamicon, was in a hot spot on the power supply too, next to big heatsink how could you design a power supply like that? unless you want it to fail in the future..

One of them I was able to fix by replacing the problematic jamicon, but the other had some other fault and was just dead...wouldn't turn on. I assume that a power mosfet failure might have happened but who knows...not worth fixing.

-Ben
                              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Slap a 5v1 zener across the 5vsb rail to make sure it never ever shorts a motherboard again.
                                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                  Slap a 5v1 zener across the 5vsb rail to make sure it never ever shorts a motherboard again.
                                  A 5.1V zener won't be able to stop the might of a DC power supply when it's angry! It will melt! I've tried it.

Use a 5.6V zener, a resistor, and SCR, to form a crowbar circuit, which will short the power supply on overvoltage.

OR, use a better power supply.
                                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Zener diodes usually short when they fail. This either shuts the power supply down or blows it up.

Also, a properly working power supply might supply slightly more than 5.1V. The highest voltage the power supply is allowed to produce is 5.25V.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                      A 5.1V zener won't be able to stop the might of a DC power supply when it's angry! It will melt! I've tried it.
                                      Not if it's a 1W zener against a standby supply. It will short and take out the switching transistor.
                                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                        recap it... my friend has an old soyo (all wendell and sacon) that i am recapping for him right now. my dad had jetway issues and it was all evercon (sacon before the second name change)... before i fully fixed it, it ran fine after a partial recap, however, i was a tard and killed it during the full recap. i wish i had that board undamaged... nice form factor (7 slots, 2 rows of holes deep), VIA chipset for pIII, possibly tualie comaptible, max 1.5gb ram, and lots built in goodies.
                                        Pre-2002 Soyo boards are more likely to have Wendell and "Rifeking" caps.

Wendell is probably at least better than GSC and Sacon. Probably not better than Ost.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

wow, is it even possible to start a fire due to a bad cap? that's serious...

Comment

Working...
                                          X