OTA tuner w/ ethernet out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTA tuner w/ ethernet out?

Anyone know if there are any "black boxes" (no user controls -- just power, ethernet and antenna) that implement an OTA AM/FM tuner with ethernet access? I.e., hook antenna to this box and hide it in an attic and stream OTA broadcasts to over your internet. Similar to the Silicon Dust boxes for OTA TV broadcasts...

Re: OTA tuner w/ ethernet out?

is AM even mainstream anymore?
    on equipment i mean.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      is AM even mainstream anymore?
      on equipment i mean.
      I think most radio solutions are now highly integrated such that the AM is part of the same block.

The trend, however, seems to make "stereo components" that pull content off the network instead of sourcing content (from OTA) onto the network.

[This, of course, makes sense if your typical user's "network" is The Internet]

Comment

yea,
        i'v noticed it getting harder to find FM tuner app's for phones even though the radio is in the hardware.

Comment

yea,
          i'v noticed it getting harder to find FM tuner app's for phones even though the radio is in the hardware.
          I suspect it's the same issue -- the phone (presumably) has a path to The Internet so music can be sourced from that, instead of OTA.

Be interesting to see what happens during natural disasters when phone infrastructure goes down and no way to get OTA situational updates on phone!

[How many folks own a "radio"?]

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
            I suspect it's the same issue -- the phone (presumably) has a path to The Internet so music can be sourced from that, instead of OTA.

Be interesting to see what happens during natural disasters when phone infrastructure goes down and no way to get OTA situational updates on phone!

What band would you like me to tune up and what modulation?
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
              What band would you like me to tune up and what modulation?
              It's not a question of what you (or I) can tune up (think: SDR) but, rather, how the "emergency broadcasting systems" developed ages ago will be used going forward. They were developed on the assumption that (nearly) EVERYONE had access to those media...

Comment

It's not a question of what you (or I) can tune up (think: SDR) but, rather, how the "emergency broadcasting systems" developed ages ago will be used going forward. They were developed on the assumption that (nearly) EVERYONE had access to those media...
                To answer your original question -- anyone with a car or higher end motorcycle. Old bedside alarmclock radio. Old Hifi setup in the garage/house. Under cabinet mounted kitchen radios....

They are more common then you think.

How many can receive NOAA/NWS? Well, thats a different story. Maybe the bedside and car radios, but the rest rely on the rebroadcasting of EAS transmissions.
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

To answer your original question -- anyone with a car or higher end motorcycle. Old bedside alarmclock radio. Old Hifi setup in the garage/house. Under cabinet mounted kitchen radios....
                  Do you want to have to go sit in your car to hear IF there is an emergency alert? I.e., is this just a thunderstorm or is it projected to be something MORE? We rely on OTA TV broadcasts for weather alerts, etc. (we can watch them without having to go sit in the car!) Of course, in a power outage, that becomes problematic (old "transistor radios" didn't require main power).

I don't know anyone with a "HiFi", anymore. Or, any other traditional "sound appliance". The closest thing I've seen are these silly little iPod/iPhone docks -- just enough sound to fill a room (like a kitchen or bedroom).

Aside from the cars, our OTA access is confined to one cell phone that has a shitty radio and a Sansa PMP that has a much better one (assuming the battery will take a charge).

OTOH, having OTA content available digitally means you can have "something" listening on your behalf...

Comment

Do you want to have to go sit in your car to hear IF there is an emergency alert? I.e., is this just a thunderstorm or is it projected to be something MORE? We rely on OTA TV broadcasts for weather alerts, etc. (we can watch them without having to go sit in the car!) Of course, in a power outage, that becomes problematic (old "transistor radios" didn't require main power).

I don't know anyone with a "HiFi", anymore. Or, any other traditional "sound appliance". The closest thing I've seen are these silly little iPod/iPhone docks -- just enough sound to fill a room (like a kitchen or bedroom).

Aside from the cars, our OTA access is confined to one cell phone that has a shitty radio and a Sansa PMP that has a much better one (assuming the battery will take a charge).

OTOH, having OTA content available digitally means you can have "something" listening on your behalf...
                    Odd, its the opposite for me. Everyone i know has multiple radio receivers in house. 5 even have HiFi. And before you scream rural, 3 of those 5 live in the Denver metro

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Odd, its the opposite for me. Everyone i know has multiple radio receivers in house. 5 even have HiFi. And before you scream rural, 3 of those 5 live in the Denver metro
                      I think a good deal of it has to do with age and income levels.

The younger people that I know are more interested in their vehicles and phones than "household items". Their "surplus income" goes into travel and other "shareable experiences" -- instead of stuff to clutter up their homes (or, their folks' homes if still living there).

The older folks have moved beyond the legacy "material goods" and put their money into art -- statuary, paintings, etc. -- and travel (the idea of bringing home "souvenirs" never even occurs to them -- unless its something truly exotic). They see status in the absence of "stuff" (clutter) in their homes. As its no-big-deal to have a large TV nowadays, even the folks who previously had $20K+ "home theaters" have now reclaimed that space for more useful purposes.

[The same goes for desktop PCs -- even laptops are disappearing in favor of fancier phones. (when was the last time you created a spreadsheet at home? Or, prepared a "significant" document -- needing anything more than Notepad?)]

I discarded my Imperials more than a decade ago. I still have my Beogram 8000, two Dragons, TD1200 and a 1000II -- but all in boxes (and no preamp/tuner, let alone amp/receiver!). It's just so much easier to pair a discarded phone with a BT speaker and get music without committing all of the "space" to monstrosities like the Imperials and the appliances to drive them. Or, hide a USFF under a dresser and serve music over the network wherever you want/need it.

But, this doesn't get me the ability to be alerted to weather/emergency conditions without ME having to take explicit steps to get that information. How much nicer to just be able to go about my daily routine and know that "something" will let me know if there is an issue worth my attention. (just like a doorbell frees you from having to watch for visitors coming to your door)

Comment

we dont need "emergency channels",
                        in a situation, the government are the last people on my list - and only then for termination!

people need to talk with people, that's why i'm glad the chinese company's like vero-telecom (baofeng supplier) are flooding the west with cheap 2way's.
                        in the past you had to spend fortunes on an icom or yausa - now thanks to these chinese radio's at literally a tenth or less of the japanese prices the number of the public buying them is huge.

Comment

we dont need "emergency channels",
                          in a situation, the government are the last people on my list - and only then for termination!

people need to talk with people, that's why i'm glad the chinese company's like vero-telecom (baofeng supplier) are flooding the west with cheap 2way's.
                          in the past you had to spend fortunes on an icom or yausa - now thanks to these chinese radio's at literally a tenth or less of the japanese prices the number of the public buying them is huge.
                          So, I should wait for someone up-stream from me to ring me up when his home is inundated by a flash flood and do so BEFORE the floodwaters manage to travel down to my place? And, HE will expect someone upstream from HIM to likewise give him a "heads up"?

Or, an incoming haboob?

Which one of these guys is going to proactively monitor weather conditions to determine when that flood (or haboob or wildfire or...) is LIKELY?? (or, do we rely on someone to "lose property" as the warning sign?)

I guess we could PAY someone to perform that task, right? Maybe some guy who's got the necessary skillset/education to understand weather and geology/topography?? Then, put in place a system whereby he calls those of us who are in danger from those events... :>

Comment

i keep channel8 on all the time,
                            if someone wants to say there is a problem - or order a pizza ;D then i'll hear it.

Comment

i keep channel8 on all the time,
                              if someone wants to say there is a problem - or order a pizza ;D then i'll hear it.
                              For the most part, we keep the house quiet -- listening to what we want instead of dealing with random "noise" events. E.g., phones don't ring, nor do doorbells, TV only on late at night to watch DVDs, etc.

I tried listening to a "scanner" while working (out of curiosity) and found it too distracting.

I want someTHING to do the listening for me and just tell me when it "hears" something that may be pertinent. Ditto doorbell and phone: don't bother me unless it's someone that I will want to see/talk to NOW.

All of these things are relatively easy to do -- IF you have access to the data/content digitally (hence the post).

Comment

Working...
                              X