EBC-B20H 20A 12-72V Lithium Battery capacity tester just bought one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EBC-B20H 20A 12-72V Lithium Battery capacity tester just bought one

I have just bought one of these battery tester because I have bought several battery packs that were over 24 volts and had no way to test them with out testing each battery bank of 1S3P which is a pain to do safely because it requires you to remove the battery board from the enclosure

Plus it will allow me to test lead acid batteries at 10 amps versus 5 amps

The only downside of this battery tester is that the voltage starts 12 to 72 volts instead of 1.2 volts to 30
    volts this is the main reason I have not bought one of these battery tester before now

*** There is a note that if you are testing a 12 volt battery that it is limited 10 amps I am not sure exactly why this is the case ***

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38436463604...53.m2749.l2649
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-08-2021, 05:25 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: EBC-B20H 20A 12-72V Lithium Battery capacity tester just bought one

Assumes protection or the acceptable lack of such?

Indeed weird, seems 10A @ 72V would be a bigger problem than 10A @ 12V, perhaps it was a typo?

Comment

how much current are those GX12 connectors rated per pin anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        Assumes protection or the acceptable lack of such?

Indeed weird, seems 10A @ 72V would be a bigger problem than 10A @ 12V, perhaps it was a typo?
        I will find out once I get the battery tester and see if it does limit you at 12 volts @ 10 amps or not but you could be right that it might typo

I know that the EBC-A10H is very well built because I have use the hell out of anywhere from 500 milliamperes to over 2.5 amps but not much higher than that because of the same reason about generating to much heat even though it does have a cooling fan that comes on when you go higher than one amp
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-09-2021, 09:10 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          how much current are those GX12 connectors rated per pin anyway?
          I do not know I would have to look it up but I doubt that I would go beyond 5 amps anyway just because how much heat you would build up in the battery tester compartment/enclosure
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

With its fans it probably can really dump 500W fine, but likely not 1KW. At 5A per contact it's probably using all three in parallel so those together will get you 10A just fine.

Still trying to figure out what's in the box...

Comment

probably just a shunt or an array of shunts switched by relays or fets,
              together with a simple mcu to do the metering of current over time

Comment

well... I guess I sort of meant "what's in the box" ... sarcastically, to explain the advertisement

Comment

Well the battery tester came today and I tried it and it works however in order to charge a battery you need an external power supply which I have to buy one that go up to at least 48 volts ( that is solely used for this battery tester ) I might get one that goes 100 volts but would have to limit the voltage 72 volts

This one is different from the other battery testing machine you set the cutoff current for charging and you set the power supply to the current that you want it to charge at

Come to think about why the current is limited to 10 amp might be because the cutoff voltage is 9.0 minimum setting for discharge and might cause it to misbehave and let out factory smoke is my guess to why it has this limitation

One note the manual does not explain why it has these limitations which I find odd

One other note when you activate the the discharge cycle the fans comes on automatically at full speed which is a little loud I might put a temperature controller on fans in the future depending on how much current I decide to test batteries at

The most that I tested current on the other battery testing machine was at 2 amp because the fan on this one does not seem to run very fast because it is not very loud but most of the time I would only use 1 amp and fan would barely come on
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-11-2021, 06:43 PM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

well... I guess I sort of meant "what's in the box" ... sarcastically, to explain the advertisement
                    The package weight was 22 pounds this is heavier ( and twice the size ) than the other battery tester that I have from the same company

I might open it up after I have it for awhile to see what electronics are in it and see how it is setup
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-11-2021, 06:35 PM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well I used it to test a 32 volt battery pack and the results are pretty good however when I do more than 1 amp I need to use the step cycle feature that this battery tester has to step down to 500 milliamperes when I am finished with higher discharge current above 1 amp for more accurate milliamperes hours results when doing li-ion batteries

With this feature I can test a battery pack for what current the device requires to work correctly and see what my results are if the device has a stand-by feature and a working feature which I did not have this capability before with out worrying about the tester taking a shit beyond the 2 amp limitation I have used for the other battery tester
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-12-2021, 06:11 AM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I am going to have to put some temperature controlled cooling fans on this new battery tester because these fans are noisy as hell which is going to drive me nuts if I do not replace them very soon
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

what does it use for the load?

Comment

I will post some pictures of it when I take it apart but last week and this week are very hectic at work I did not even have a day off so far sense last Sunday night and this week does not look any better until Thursday night unless something changes sometime this week

Are working week starts Sunday night to Thursday night

On a brighter note the week of Christmas and the week of New Years we are scheduled to only work Sunday night to Tuesday night unless they change their minds which happens sometime
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here are the fan that I am going to use in the new battery tester machine

https://www.mpja.com/12VDC-47-120mm-...info/35272+FN/

I will remove the temperature sensors and relocate it to the heat sink or heat sinks for better cooling temperature control
                              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-13-2021, 08:07 PM.
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Not sure if it's easy to relocate the sensors in those fans...may be easier to have custom controller for those fans?

Comment

It not hard to relocate temperatures sensor you just have to have some patience and take your time and use a desoldering gun and after you remove it then you put the temperature sensor on a small circuit board and use some very small diameter wire between the two circuit boards and use some hot glue on the temperature sensor and you are ready to rock and roll

However it took several tries before I could do it with out damaging the sensor or the circuit board

The switching power supply that I wrote about modifying a few months ago I had modified a small size fan from the same company
                                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-14-2021, 01:25 AM.
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well what I had in mind to use for the temperature controlled fans is not going to work because the thickness of the those fans are two times more than the ones in there now

So plan number two which is use temperature controller from some switching power supply that I bought surplus a couple of years ago which I have not done much with so far I have found two of them I need to find two more of them

But I installed the two that I found and it is a lot quieter than it was I can at least be in the same room now with it
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is some pictures of the inside of this battery testing machine before and after I mounted the temperature sensors on the loading resistors

So much quieter than it was before I added the fan speed controllers on this battery testing machine at least now I can be in the same room with while running the testing
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-19-2021, 01:04 PM.
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I posted some pictures of the inside of this tester

I also ordered a temperature sensor controller that I going to put on the charging controller circuit so I do not have to babysit the battery tester on battery packs that I am not sure of
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X