Samsung Syncmaster T220 2 seconds to black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Syncmaster T220 2 seconds to black

I'm new in self-repair. However I will try to keep it short and simple.
    Info:
    Samsung Syncmaster T220
    Modelcode: LS22TWHSUV/EN
    Produced: 2009
    Problem:
    When pressing the power button it takes 3 seconds until a picture appear, then that picture disappear after 2 more seconds. Using a flashlight I can see movement on the monitor so should be a backlight turning off issue.
    Slogan on the box:
    "Design That Performs" (..badly because of cheap components)

Troubleshooting
    Done so far:
    • Found the power board and looked it over. Sadly can't see any bad caps or anything malicious. Took 7 pictures if you want to look with your expert eyes.

Questions:
    Now, I'm trying to get my hands on the needed tools. But before I have them I would like to find out precisely what to do.
    Ok, I tried to read the guide at https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

While the caps looks fine I guess i will have to check those as well, don't know if I can get hold of a ESR tester or know how to use it.

I think i understand the mosfets, there's only one (IC102) and will test that as soon as i get my hands on a multimeter. As far as I understand I set it to 200ohm and check if it below 30. The same with the fuse/picufuse, where it has to be below 1.0ohm.

Now the "Bad inverter transformer" troubleshooting is causing me trouble. I don't know what to do. It mentions 4 pins but I seem to have 9 pins on each transformer like this:

Any comments on what I should do here?

These seem to be the most likely things to test before I go further down the guide. Any other things I should test?

Thanks in advance for any comments
    /Carbonic
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung Syncmaster T220 2 seconds to black

The green fuse next to one of the transformers ???

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
      The green fuse next to one of the transformers ???
      Yes, should I test it in any way besides what I mentioned in my original post?

Comment

If the fuse is good, then measure the resistance between A1 and A3 on each of the inverter transformers,the readings should be within 3-5% of each other..

Comment

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but were you ever able to fix this monitor?

I have the exact same issue with my Samsung T220, no capacitors show signs of bulging or leaking, and I have tried to replace two of the capacitors (those located in the middle bottom left corner above the screw hole) in this picture: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...3&d=1374764047

I have also tried to replace both inverter transformers, the TM-21240 ones, but with no luck. It's still exactly the same symptom.

The red power light comes on, the screen will turn on, and the screen comes on and shows the picture perfectly for 2 seconds before it goes black. I can see the picture if I use a flashlight.

In the last couple of months before the screen got like this, the top part of the screen would flicker erratically. It also was a little bit dimmer in this flickering part of the screen, this got worse with time until it got completely unusable with the 2 seconds to black symptom.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I have a multimeter which i can measure with if any of you can point out what to look for.

I feel like I can't give up on this now with this much effort put into it. Maybe I will try to replace the rest of the capacitors in spite of them seeming to be fine.

Kind regards,

krlle

Comment

could be a bad lamp ..think there is a way to force them on for testing only .

Comment

No I never fixed this error. Bought a non-samsung monitor and have moved along.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                could be a bad lamp ..think there is a way to force them on for testing only .
                +1

Comment

Originally posted by krlle View Post
                  Sorry for bumping an old thread, but were you ever able to fix this monitor?

I have the exact same issue with my Samsung T220, no capacitors show signs of bulging or leaking, and I have tried to replace two of the capacitors (those located in the middle bottom left corner above the screw hole) in this picture: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...3&d=1374764047

I have also tried to replace both inverter transformers, the TM-21240 ones, but with no luck. It's still exactly the same symptom.

The red power light comes on, the screen will turn on, and the screen comes on and shows the picture perfectly for 2 seconds before it goes black. I can see the picture if I use a flashlight.

In the last couple of months before the screen got like this, the top part of the screen would flicker erratically. It also was a little bit dimmer in this flickering part of the screen, this got worse with time until it got completely unusable with the 2 seconds to black symptom.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I have a multimeter which i can measure with if any of you can point out what to look for.

I feel like I can't give up on this now with this much effort put into it. Maybe I will try to replace the rest of the capacitors in spite of them seeming to be fine.

Kind regards,

krlle
                  Make a pair of test lamps:
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19987
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I'm also having this problem hope to find the answer soon

Comment

Originally posted by Ori View Post
                      I'm also having this problem hope to find the answer soon
                      Hi, Ori!

Please check if the 2 mosfets under the board are the AF4502C.

Changing these would fix the monitor in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by senndogg View Post
                        Hi, Ori!

Please check if the 2 mosfets under the board are the AF4502C.

Changing these would fix the monitor in most cases.
                        Hi Senndogg,
                        Are those the 2 rectangle 8 legged things? How do I check them?

I managed to get a new Power board off ebay unfortunately it was poorly packed and arrived broken (PCB snapped) but it might be salvageable for parts

Comment

Originally posted by Ori View Post
                          Hi Senndogg,
                          Are those the 2 rectangle 8 legged things? How do I check them?

I managed to get a new Power board off ebay unfortunately it was poorly packed and arrived broken (PCB snapped) but it might be salvageable for parts
                          Yes. Just check if "4502C"is written on them. In my experience, changing them has resolved issues with late 2000s Samsung monitors.
                          Desoldering and soldering is better achieved with hot air + solder gun.

Comment

Yes. Just check if "4502C"is written on them. In my experience, changing them has resolved issues with late 2000s Samsung monitors.
                            Thank you I will get onto when I can

Comment

1. Replace lamps
                              2. Replace lamps with 12V LED stripe
                              Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                              1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                                1. Replace lamps
                                2. Replace lamps with 12V LED stripe
                                Thank you I have seen the build for this, if it comes down to it yeah I think I will replace it with led strips hoping not to have to pull that part of the screen apart unless I really have to.

I looked at both the mosfets the numbers read
                                4525GEM on both the boards i have
                                Last edited by Ori; 07-27-2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I changed over the mosfets with the 2 off the new broken board but still no change. so it wasn't that, I also have tried it with the smaller controller board swapped for the new one and no change either so it isn't that. The inverters also seem to test ok.

Comment

the mosfets
                                    Last edited by Ori; 07-27-2021, 06:22 PM. Reason: picture not showing up

Comment

try using something to power the backlights . there are plenty of ready made driver circuits available .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                                        try using something to power the backlights . there are plenty of ready made driver circuits available .
                                        if the back lights come on for a few seconds at the start doesn't that mean they are working ?

Since my last post I have changed all the caps I could cept the big one, I changed the green fuse, I changed both the inverters, changed both the mosfets, I also tried a different logic board so that is also ruled out as faulty .... still the same doing more research atm
                                        Last edited by Ori; 08-11-2021, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X