Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CMOS battery life

Just this:

What is the average lifetime of a classic coin battery used in today's computers for maintaining BIOS settings?

And another one : If the battery is placed in the mobo and the mobo is not used for let's say 10, it's surely depleted, right? To be more precise, in what time does the socketed battery dry out while the motherboard has never been turned on?
    Mobo: MSI K8N Master2-FAR CPU: 2x Opteron 265 OC'd @ 2,25GHz RAM: 2x2GB Crucial DDR400 CL3 ECC/Buff. (ECC OFF), VGA: ASUS HD6950 2GB Reference edition FLASHED TO HD6970 HDD: 80GB ATA133 Seagate ,OnBoard: 2xGLAN, 8-Ch. Realtek audio, USB2.0/Firewire, PCIe Physx card PSU: 850W Corsair AX Case: Cooler Master HAF932 + NZXT 5 Fan Controller.

Re: CMOS battery life

Not used for 10 what?

Depends on use...
    On modern boards the CMOS battery is bypassed any time +5vstb is available.
    There is no drain on it during that time.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

10 years Sorry for that.

Just wanna know if a board left 10 years of no use, no AC plug, no nothing, has the battery still working...
      Mobo: MSI K8N Master2-FAR CPU: 2x Opteron 265 OC'd @ 2,25GHz RAM: 2x2GB Crucial DDR400 CL3 ECC/Buff. (ECC OFF), VGA: ASUS HD6950 2GB Reference edition FLASHED TO HD6970 HDD: 80GB ATA133 Seagate ,OnBoard: 2xGLAN, 8-Ch. Realtek audio, USB2.0/Firewire, PCIe Physx card PSU: 850W Corsair AX Case: Cooler Master HAF932 + NZXT 5 Fan Controller.

Comment

And no, they are not rechargeable batteries.

I took out an old PII/PIII BX board the other day to test some ECC PC100 RAM.
        It probably hasn't been used in 5+ years and the battery was still working.
        Of course the cheap Chinese variety probably doesn't last that long.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

And is it possible that the battery may show 0.01v on a multimeter after 10 years?

Comment

Yes but that's not enough voltage to 'hold up' the CMOS.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

Right, that's clear. Just wanna know the numbers...So PCBONEZ, you claim that it depends on the battery manufacturer, rite? Interesting, thought at least batteries, which tend to explode when handled inappropriately, are manufactured with safety provided to the consumers...

Comment

the coin cell inside the "dallas module" on my 486DX33 board still has 2.97V
                and it's far older than 10years..
                Last edited by Scenic; 03-28-2011, 03:19 AM.

Comment

I have several Nintendo NES games with coin batteries in them still good after 25 years.

Comment

I guess the old saying "your mileage may vary" applies. I replace mine about every 4-5 years or so and on all used motherboards I aquire when I aquire them. Its all trivial since CR2032's and CR2025's can easily be found at most discount retailers for a couple bucks each.

Comment

Would it make ANY difference if the OP's ( Shodan486) board had the cmos jumper in the OFF position?

As I understand it, all regular lithium etc cells have a limited lifespan. Thankfully they're not expensive to replace. I'd never throw a board for the lack of one!
                      it's Michael Hockley actually... my parents have a sense of humor.

Comment

Jumper simply shorts the + and - together momentarily [through a resistor so it doesn't fry the battery.]
                        Leaving the jumper off would have no ill effects.
                        Leaving it in the reset position for a while would eventually drain the battery.
                        I usually just remove the battery instead of fooling with the jumper.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

PCBONEZ, can you please give us an idea of basic BIOS circuit, I mean NOT the circuit inside the BIOS, but the circuit behind the BIOS system on a motherboard. Some kinda diagram and its basic components.

Comment

I don't know that one. Never traced one out.
                            I only know how the BIOS chip is powered.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

One thing that interests me, its your profile (About Me page) .. you are interested in chasing women.. and that's the special science LOL

Comment

Originally posted by cmosbios View Post
                                One thing that interests me, its your profile (About Me page) .. you are interested in chasing women.. and that's the special science LOL
                                Not so much anymore.
                                The problem is getting away after you catch one.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

You definitley can get 10+ years out of them with normal use.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post

You definitley can get 10+ years out of them with normal use.
                                    Which, woman or batteries? ..............

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by oldnwrinkly View Post
                                      Which, woman or batteries? ..............

Dave.
                                      Depends how hard you use them.....

Comment

10 years seems pushing it for a CR2032...

Why worry anyway? Quick test with DMM and if it doesn't work get a new one... If you don't have a DMM use an LED. Works perfect for testing them. It should glow brightly!
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X