I'm getting windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting windows 10

Well I now have two pc's with windblows 10 home and never used it. What do I need to shut off and not do? The one will be used by an old lady and the I3 by me and will probably end up dual booting with a flavor of linux.

HP Slimline 270-p013wb intel G4560T
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05492124

HP Slimline 270-p043w I3-7100
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05591683

Re: I'm getting windows 10

you cant shut it off,
    it's not added spyware, it's spyware that happens to run wondows software (to a degree)

Comment

There are guides out there for what to disable manually, but its cumbersome. I prefer to use a tool that gives me the controls speedier at one place. This page gives a list of some tools. Personally I've used the Spyboot one for some of my own stuff, without any problems. As always with these kind of tools, use with care. At least create a restore point before making changes. And it would be unwise to use more than one of the tools on the same PC.
      ------------
      Be a mensch

Comment

Kinda leery using 3rd party tools on the one but i'll check em out. She will be banking with it. I'm just going to be screwing around on the other. Figure better learn 10 since 7 EOL is soon.

Comment

Originally posted by junktv View Post
          She will be banking with it.
          well your screwed then!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            well your screwed then!

Comment

Kinda leery using 3rd party tools
              So am I, but I selected the Spyboot program, as they are well known for their other garbage clean-up software. The program can also do some tweaks that normally are only available in the Enterprise-version.

If such a company cannot be trusted, on par with other well known software manufacturers, you would be best advised to stay away from most readily available software. You would then be best advised to use open source code, examining the code and compile it yourself. That is, if you got a trustworthy compiler.

You best select your own level of paranoia.
              ------------
              Be a mensch

Comment

Figure better learn 10 since 7 EOL is soon.
                But, 8.1 shouldn't be EOL for a good while!
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                  2023. S2K12 R2 is the same interface and doesnt phone home....The standard edition with some mods, classic shell, and tweaking, its a hell of a good workstation OS....but probably not something a little old lady would be able to deal with.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Nope not even. Why do they kill the good and keep the crap.

Comment

make sure you turn off activity history it was introduced in version 1803, you can find it in the settings then privacy menu, there are lots of other options in there you can turn off too.

It took me awhile but I came around to 10 mainly after my boss scolded me for all the windows 7 computers having viruses which is because the overlords that be turn off the WSUS server so they never get updates and thus viruses. That said I am the last person in our tech group to be running Windows 7 on my main work machine.
                      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

You can't even get Drivers for 8.1 these days for some important things...

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                          my boss scolded me for all the windows 7 computers having viruses.
                          u should scold your boss back and tell him that isnt your fault or problem. its a pebkac issue with whomever is using the computer who isnt computer literate. most probably surfing pr0n on the work computers which is the main source of picking up viruses.

i mean u said u run win7 on your machine. so if others get viruses on their win7 machine but u DONT, then what does that prove?!

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                            2023. S2K12 R2 is the same interface and doesnt phone home....The standard edition with some mods, classic shell, and tweaking, its a hell of a good workstation OS....but probably not something a little old lady would be able to deal with.
                            I tried to introduce her to android on a 8" tablet and it didn't go well. Then again I'm fairly android illiterate myself but getting better since I picked up a couple tablets and don't mind breaking them. Although the 10" lenovo seems decent and perfect for mobile computing, movies/music at camp and maps etc..

She used a pc every day for 30 years but didn't get how they work. She started with punch cards and ended on win7 or 8. She brought home backups of programs she wanted to keep one time on a floppy. Yup backed up the desktop icons perfectly. Good job momma lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              Even the non-Windows Server version, is much less frustrating than 10!

8.1 by default lets me keep stubborn Windows Defender turned off and I haven't recalled a storahci.sys issue (or its ilk) yet. I was happily using 8.1 in 2015!

10 by default, will keep installing a video driver without your permission!
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-30-2019, 03:52 PM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Well I fired one up. Microsoft needs to line up and be beat with a rubber hose.

Comment

She used a pc every day for 30 years but didn't get how they work.
                                  i hate that.

i remember long ago - win3.11 time.
                                  i walked into a university computer room,
                                  sat down and proceded to locate and copy all the different dictionary files from a special version of Word on the network server onto about 30 floppies.

the other students(i wasnt one) sat in silence watching me, thinking i was some super-hacker or something! lol.

Comment

Last edited by captainKKK; 02-09-2019, 03:55 PM. Reason: my opinion only

Comment

Added a new one to the mix. HP 570-p013wb i3-7100, 8gb ddr4 2400,1tb WD blue and mid case. I'm setting it up for me so playing around more.

Is there anyway to upgrade from 10 home to 10 pro free? It's what came on it and the xp pro are the only ones I have keys for. My 7 pro is of iffy origin and uses a oem key that I couldn't even download a copy of 7 pro with when I tried years ago.

Comment

i wont use 10 myself.
                                        if i get a machine that cant run 7 or linux it gets sold.
                                        that tends to be those craptastic convertible tablet things mainly.
                                        when micro$oft was giving free 10 "upgrades" i figured it was not for the benefit of users!

Comment

Working...
                                        X