Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft becoming more aggressive in pushing Windows 10+end of Windows 8 patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Microsoft becoming more aggressive in pushing Windows 10+end of Windows 8 patches

If I could, I would EOL W10 and extend Windows 7 mainstream support AT LEAST 10 YEARS and extended support for another 10 years.
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Re: Microsoft becoming more aggressive in pushing Windows 10+end of Windows 8 patches

If I could, I would release Win2K x64 and extend it's support indefinitely, then EOL W10, W7, Vista, XP.
      There, eternal bliss in the IT world!
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

bring back os2-WARP

Comment

Look what I still have, all complete, I won it a Novell user group meeting in the '90's, New! plus BonusPak.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
            If I could, I would release Win2K x64 and extend it's support indefinitely, then EOL W10, W7, Vista, XP.
            There, eternal bliss in the IT world!
            I loved Win2k.....and like you said, if there were an x64 I'd still be using it. The only platform that got a 64 bit taste of win2k was the Itanium. I'd still be using XP....but I have to make a confession. I really took a liking to Aero. Vista's aero was meh....I didn't like it. W7's aero + classic shell = functional eye candy!!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              Look what I still have, all complete, I won it a Novell user group meeting in the '90's, New! plus BonusPak.
              I totally have that beat!

Original copies of both Win NT 4 server & workstation in all their original packaging, with books, boot disks, and cd's. Bought them from a state auction for $7.00 back in 1998 or so, still in the shrinkwrap. Talk about gubermint waste!!

Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I kinda wonder about if someone were to write modern hardware drivers for older Windows systems, what would their boot times be?

Newer Windows systems are so bloated up. I've disabled alot of drivers for NetBT and stuff... which I believe should be userspace services, not kernel-mode drivers anyways.

I pretty much disabled over half of the system, and I'm running just fine! The desktop looks old because I disabled the Themes service, but hey! More GPU cycles for the games!

I only use Windows because I need it for games, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  I totally have that beat!

Original copies of both Win NT 4 server & workstation in all their original packaging, with books, boot disks, and cd's. Bought them from a state auction for $7.00 back in 1998 or so, still in the shrinkwrap. Talk about gubermint waste!!
                  Pfft, Who needs packaging?
                  Attached Files
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

How Microsoft boosted Windows 10 market share: http://www.myce.com/news/microsofts-...etshare-79023/
                    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

This was one of the most unlikely (?) places where a free Windows 10 upgrade notification appeared:
                      http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-...weather-79271/
                      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Microtoilet is pushing harder and harder and harder. Hopefully, they'll quit this mess once the 1-year free upgrade thing is up.
                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                          Microtoilet is pushing harder and harder and harder. Hopefully, they'll quit this mess once the 1-year free upgrade thing is up.
                          They'll just auto-bill the credit card associated with your Microsoft account...

Comment

**** microsoft!

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Now Microsoft is being sued for an unwanted Windows 10 upgrade: http://www.myce.com/news/woman-sues-...te-wins-79767/

Comment

Working...
                              X