X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS ROG STRIX X99 motherboard short problem or similar

HELLO
    I'd like to ask for advice.
    I would like to ask for help in a asus rog strix x99 motherboard and there is a short circuit at the 24 pin on the 3.3V line and the 8 pin at the 12V break. Where I am looking for error ?What can cause this?somebody help for me?currently the motherboard does not respond to anything.
    And sorry I'm just little bit speak English but i understand everything.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by David1122; 03-21-2021, 09:05 PM.

Re: ASUS ROG STRIX X99 motherboard short problem or similar

Hi David
    I have a very similar motherboard to that one which I repaired last year

First of all - here is the board view for the Asus X99 Deluxe, which is the closest one I have to the Rog Strix X99. Looking a the pic you posted, it is going to be very similar. Hopefully someone has the exact one and may post it here.

To open this .fz file you need to use board viewer which is a free download from here - download that the install it.
    http://boardviewer.net/

A board view is like a schematic, in fact once you get used to them, in some ways it is superior to a schematic when it comes to motherboard repair. Try opening the fz file in the attached zip file with board viewer. What you see is a board view of the motherboard.

Now to your problems.
    When you measured the short from the 8 pin 12V connector, did you have a CPU fitted?

Basically this 12V supply will go to some FETs underneath the heat sinks and you possibly have a short there. You say the motherboard does not respond to anything. I would expect with a short on the 12V connector your ATX power supply will not even start.

The 3.3V short will probably be something else, and may or may not be related to the 12V short.

Try disconnecting the 8 pin cable. Now, just out of interest, connect the 24 way ATX connector. Do you have any power on 5VSB (pin 9, the purple wire)

If you do, then also measure the voltage on the pin header where you connect the power on switch to the motherboard. Is there any voltage on either of the pins?

You can try switching the PSU on, but with a short on 3.3V I doubt it would power up.

You need to remove all the heat sinks from the motherboard then post some more pics, including a more close up of the VRM area around the CPU socket, the area near the ATX connector, and the area near the Northbridge (PCH, whatever they call it) BGA

Also let me know what voltage is on 5VSB and the PS_ON switch. Then we can get a bit further
    Attached Files
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

I understand ,
      thank you for the advice I will check everything you wrote and I will make the photos and attach and send and after I finish the check I write everything result for you , Thank you for the help me.

Comment

When you measured the short from the 8 pin 12V connector, did you have a CPU fitted?
        NO.
        Attached Files
        File Type: rar Asus X99-DELUXE-ASUS-1801.rar (5.61 MB, 107 views)
        I can't open this file,what is this file?
        I unpacked it and found an bin file but I can't open it with viewer program.
        voltage is PS_ON switch 3v but little up and down not does not keep it stable
        I will send the pictures in the attachment
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry David I uploaded the wrong file (I think it was the BIOS not the board view)

Try this one

It looks like you have some problem in the VRM section of your motherboard

Can you check if it used the same VRM drivers as the Asus X99 deluxe - IR3550MTRPBF
          https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datash...550MTRPBF.html

It looks like they have individual heatsinks on them - can you get one off?

I've also seen that problem with PS_ON voltage varying up and down - as I recall I think it was a problem with the SIO last time I saw that.... but let me double check my notes.

Can you please measure the voltage across all the capacitors integrated onto the northbridge and post that info

rich
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dicky96; 03-22-2021, 05:00 PM. Reason: More info
          Follow me on YouTube
          ------------------
          Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Oo an i forgot write power on 5VSB (pin 9, the purple wire=5.1V

Comment

I understand thak you so much help for me

Comment

"Can you please measure the voltage across all the capacitors integrated onto the northbridge and post "

is this area sorry i just ask, because I'm not sure, I attached the picture
                Attached Files

Comment

"It looks like you have some problem in the VRM section of your motherboard ""
                  And yes something wrong one of the coils has a problem.

Comment

my tip is that the bga chipset has a short circuit because all the condensator(GND)around it are on both sides in diode mod. The DC-checked measurement does not have a good voltage for the capacitors either. A bga chip replacement should be possible.....?

Comment

on the bga chip or northbridge i don't know the exact name it is also on the 3.3V on line. Related to it can cause a short circuit?

Comment

Hi David.
                        Yes I meant you to measure the voltage on the capacitors (condensators) that are actually on the BGA chip substrate itself.

There should be three different supply voltages here - one of them will be standby and probably that will be present (maybe 3.3V, 1,8V or 1,1V) so if you read 3.3V on any of the capacitors here that is a good thing. Without standby voltage on the PCH it can never start.

Definitely measure the resistance across every capacitor on the BGA - on a working board none of them should read short!

Can you post pics of the VRM area with the heatsink removed. Thanks
                        Last edited by dicky96; 03-23-2021, 06:49 AM.
                        Follow me on YouTube
                        ------------------
                        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

"Can you post pics of the VRM area with the heatsink removed. Thanks"
                          this has fortunately been exchanged.

"Yes I meant you to measure the voltage on the capacitors (condensators) that are actually on the BGA chip substrate itself.

There should be three different supply voltages here - one of them will be standby and probably that will be present (maybe 3.3V, 1,8V or 1,1V) so if you read 3.3V on any of the capacitors here that is a good thing. Without standby voltage on the PCH it can never start.:
                          well yes i measured the values are not good (0.1) v and (0.8) v there is a value and 0.00v and you can see all the capacitor short circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by David1122 View Post
                            "Can you post pics of the VRM area with the heatsink removed. Thanks"
                            this has fortunately been exchanged.

"Yes I meant you to measure the voltage on the capacitors (condensators) that are actually on the BGA chip substrate itself.

There should be three different supply voltages here - one of them will be standby and probably that will be present (maybe 3.3V, 1,8V or 1,1V) so if you read 3.3V on any of the capacitors here that is a good thing. Without standby voltage on the PCH it can never start.:
                            well yes i measured the values are not good (0.1) v and (0.8) v there is a value and 0.00v and you can see all the capacitor short circuits.
                            I attach the picture
                            Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the much help without you i couldn't have done it
                              Thank you so much

Comment

You fixed it?
                                Follow me on YouTube
                                ------------------
                                Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

I fixed the VRM, but not the bga chip short circuit, I only ordered the chipset from China yesterday I don't know when it will arrive and then I will replace it but I can't go on until then.....
                                  or do you have any other ideas for advice?

Comment

if you have an idea for your advice thank you very much

Comment

heloo i have a problem with the same motherboard after i spill some water from the watercooling motherboard sudently shut off and start giving me code 00 self test passing normaly all the parts are fine i replaced it with an msi x99 motherboard but i like the strix so i want to fix the board i found a short sirquit at step down near the bios i removed the inductor and i can see that the short is after the stepdown but i cant find where it goes i have attached a picture and marked the inductor with red if someone can hellp me revive this old beast
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by David1122 View Post
                                        HELLO
                                        I'd like to ask for advice.
                                        I would like to ask for help in a asus rog strix x99 motherboard and there is a short circuit at the 24 pin on the 3.3V line and the 8 pin at the 12V break. Where I am looking for error ?What can cause this?somebody help for me?currently the motherboard does not respond to anything.
                                        And sorry I'm just little bit speak English but i understand everything.
                                        david if you want to exchange any measurment i would gladly do it

Comment

Working...
                                        X