windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windows 7

fuck windows - i dont know how you put up with it!

i just wasted a whole fucking day trying to install ,NET 4,8 for somebody.

it wouldnt install,
    eventually i found out it was failing the security check because windowz needs it's certificates updating.

then i spend hours trying to find certmgr.exe to install without downloading 35 fucking gigs of visual studio sdk!!!!

still not found it or fixed this shit o.s.!!

Re: windows 7

Use WSUS. One if it's first actions is to update root certificates
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
      Use WSUS. One if it's first actions is to update root certificates
      Was just going to suggest that.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

and how will that work on an o.s. with hacked registration?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          and how will that work on an o.s. with hacked registration?
          If you used the DAZ loader, it'll be fine.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

looked at it,
            no go - the security certs i need are not part of any update - they are post EOL for win7
            thats why i need the command-line tool - i can add the certs manually without a cab file or msi wrapper

or i just dont waste any more time on this crap.

Comment

With all your bitching and trying to blame Microsoft for your ignorance I can't tell if you still want it or you've given up.
              Maybe just ask next time and save yourself a load of frustration.
              Attached Files

Comment

then i spend hours trying to find certmgr.exe to install without downloading 35 fucking gigs of visual studio sdk!!!!
                That's as big as a game! At least roughly the same ballpark as PC Halo MCC! Almost as big as GTA V! LOL!

The rate we're going, I wouldn't be surprised if a 1 TB HDD, becomes the minimum requirement soon, LOL!
                Definitely going to be true even more shortly, if not already, for most SSDs, because a 500 GB SSD could have too many writes to cells. They are already starting to feel like a 240 GB SSD already here, LOL!
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-26-2021, 04:41 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Just follow the first two steps of the "Prerequisite" section in any of the latest MS KB articles like this one: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...5-33c7f32fe7f4
                  I.e. this is what you need: KB4490628 & KB4474419

Here is a more in-depth article on the subject: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-69a4cde8e64f
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yes, you need root cert updates, even if you disable windows update. And you could have downloaded the offline installer too.
                    Here is the authroot.stl http://ctldl.windowsupdate.com/msdow...uthrootstl.cab
                    Uncab, install and enjoy. Also, you need to download the SHA2 Update for Windows7.
                    And for some newer drivers - Kernel mode driver framework.
                    Last edited by televizora; 05-26-2021, 11:23 PM.
                    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

i fixed it already with an unlisted KB that breaks auto updates - fine by me!
                      (KB3004394)
                      and a certs update afterwards from an STL.
                      still a shit o.s. and terrible documentation from it's spreaders.

so now it's owner can install dot-net 4.8 and go break something else i suppose.

Comment

why did they need 4.8 to begin with?

Comment

some software related to apple phones - another headache i try to avoid!

Comment

i fixed it already with an unlisted KB that breaks auto updates - fine by me!(KB3004394) and a certs update afterwards from an STL.
                            still a shit o.s. and terrible documentation from it's spreaders. so now it's owner can install dot-net 4.8 and go break something else i suppose.
                            Windows7 is actually not a shitty OS, contrary to the next versions. And there is plenty of information and documentation about it. Not that I am a big fan of .NET framework, but it eases programmers work tremendously. If no standard libraries are used or exist, everybody will have to reimplement the wheel.
                            BTW, certs are updated independently and are not part of the usual Windows Update, but because of the SHA2 if you have disabled automatic updates and haven't installed SHA2 update, cert updates can fail too. Or not updating anything for a long time...and the MS cert installed on the machine itself expires...and then it refuses to install them because of invalid cert chain.
                            Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                            1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                              Windows7 is actually not a shitty OS
                              It started out that way.....but after SP1 came out, I never looked back. As a matter of fact I'm still using it with extended updates.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                It started out that way.....but after SP1 came out, I never looked back. As a matter of fact I'm still using it with extended updates.
                                Unfortunately, the 7 WU is infamous for error code 0x80080005 with what I believed I traced to certain early-2010s' major updates, when not installed one at a time with a reboot after each!

IIRC, I traced that to updates that are from pre-2012, if not solely certain updates from 2011.
                                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-29-2021, 07:09 PM.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

This is why I use WSUS update for all windows 7 updates. Keep the client folder on my NAS

Comment

And just to piss off more windows 7 users, If you are using Microsoft edge, as of a couple days ago, you can no longer have the home page of your choice (IE Google) It now starts up with the "New Tab Microsoft" and you need to click on the Home icon to get your original home page
                                    Last edited by R_J; 05-29-2021, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                      Unfortunately, the 7 WU is infamous for error code 0x80080005 with what I believed I traced to certain early-2010s' major updates, when not installed one at a time with a reboot after each!

IIRC, I traced that to updates that are from pre-2012, if not solely certain updates from 2011.
                                      Never seen it....even on client machines.
                                      Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                      And just to piss off more windows 7 users, If you are using Microsoft edge, as of a couple days ago, you can no longer have the home page of your choice (IE Google) It now starts up with the "New Tab Microsoft" and you need to click on the Home icon to get your original home page
                                      Anyone voluntarily 'uses' Edge? It's not installed on any of my 7 or S2K12 systems. Funny, for as much good software M$ has written they have never had a web browser that's been worth a shit...
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                        Never seen it....even on client machines.
                                        Well, that bug bit me a lot on fresh installs! At least for certain updates from 2011, IIRC, I apparently have to install them "pseudo-NT4-style" as a workaround!
                                        (chronological order)

This is why I don't recommend the WU page/menu for 7 anymore!

IIRC, it bit me on Core 2 systems, so it couldn't have been bad caps, IIRC, also happened on my new-at-the-time PC! At least as late as 2013 as well, IIRC, when doing a fresh install for my Core 2 Duo system.
                                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-29-2021, 08:40 PM.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Working...
                                        X