JVC EM55FT everything ok but cannot find any channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JVC EM55FT everything ok but cannot find any channels

Have done a reset. Can get the menu and when auto scanning for OTA channels is finds none of the 45 channels that my other TVs find. What to check first?

Re: JVC EM55FT everything ok but cannot find any channels

Did you try firmware update and or factory reset?

Comment

have you selected "antenna mode" in the menu (as opposed to cable).

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I have reset the TV. Then scanned for channels using the "antenna" mode which is an outside antenna that works well for all my TVS. I have NOT done a firmware update b/c my ordered JVC remote has not arrived yet. I would love for this dumb TV to come back to life. Will update when the remote arrives. I may hook the computer to one of its HDMI and see what happens

Comment

that would be a good idea especially if you don't know the tv's history. Just to be sure we understand, can you post a picture of the menu that you used to set "antenna"?

Comment

Got the remote control for it and same issue, no channels found. See pics. There are two different ways to scan for channels, using the attached outdoor OTA cable to the back of this TV, and specifying ANTENNA mode....neither find any channels.
            Attached Files

Comment

:-(

have you got any "base video sources" (ie. cable box, vcr, video camera) that you can try inputting? do you get a different response if you choose "cable"? have you checked the input connector with a meter to see if is not shorted?

Comment

Thx Budwich. I did try scanning using the "cable" and still no channels found. I did plug an active HDMI computer into two of its HDMI ports and got no response. No. I have not checked grd on the input, but will do so in the morning. I guess I'll have to crack this open and take a look.......?

Comment

hold it... you plugged in a hdmi cable (and input a displayable signal ... dvd etc) and do not get a picture?

Comment

This TV was NOT recognized by my computer, and thus did not show picture, so maybe the HDMI ports on the TV are bad? I am going to try other inputs in a bit and a different computer or output from another HDMI device.

Comment

ah.... it appears that your problem is wider than "no channels".... you likely have a significant main board problem that is impacting all inputs on that board. You should probably start checking voltages on the main board to see if any are missing.

Having said that, using an hdmi from a computer isn't the best way to test ports. This is because computers can easily set a resolution that is NOT supported by an external display and result in no picture. Get a cheap dvd player or otherwise to confirm operation of hdmi.
                      Last edited by budwich; 03-06-2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

thanks, a work in progress

Comment

The Antenna connector center pin is not grounded. The PS has exactly the correct output voltage values. The PS main cap voltage is 320vdc, cap rated at 450. The main board's central processor is warm. All the caps on the PS and main boards appear physically perfect. BLs On. Menu display perfect. Music Menu displays full screen image. DVD play plugged into all three HDMI ports do not display anything. Cannot find firmware. Cannot get into the factory mode. Have done reset from the menu. Channels scanned finds no channels. Advice now?
                          Attached Files

Comment

well now you have "narrowed down" the problem.... :-) It is likely a problem with the main board which houses the inputs and conversions. The menus are generated internally and don't go thru much / any signal conversion / capture and the display basically works. You need to start checking voltages in and around the hdmi area especially 5v which is used in the protocol. When you try to select an hdmi input, what does the screen display? You can / should trace voltages coming from the PS to the main and into the main.

although hard to tell from the pictures, there appears to be some bulging of tops on some of the caps on the main board.... maybe.
                            Last edited by budwich; 03-07-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

When I have a device plugged to the HDMI port and change to that port it says "Checking Signal" and then "No signal". I will check the top and bottom of the caps again. Too bad I cannot find any historical common faults on this model. Also, I talked to the previous owner and this was used as a kids plaything, plugging and unplugging lots of HDMI toys, so I am going to have a close look for a damaged HDMI connector..
                              Last edited by captainKKK; 03-07-2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

figures... another MSD main IC.

Comment

Your are right. see pic and very small bump above the third row of letters, above the 1. What causes this, lightning strike or is this a high probability of more component failures on the tcon and PS boards? Can I replace the MSD?
                                  Can I use a different model board like I have a bad JVC mainboard JVC 3655-0852-0150 (3B). Can I use a JVC 3655-0852-0395 and or JVC 3655-0852-0395R, and or JVC 3655-0852-0150R replacement (R=roku?)
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-08-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                    X