Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone build their own equipment? Plans for small benchtop power supply.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone build their own equipment? Plans for small benchtop power supply.

I knocked this together with a 3d printer, some spare parts and a broken laptop power supply.

Anyone build anything useful?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4126979

Attached Files

Re: Anyone build their own equipment? Plans for small benchtop power supply.

I am thinking about doing something similar so I can use my battery tester on BMS balancing protection boards

But have not figured out or decided how and what parts to use and how do the voltage and current limiting parameters yet
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
      I knocked this together with a 3d printer, some spare parts and a broken laptop power supply.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4126979

I send you a Pirate Message
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Yes many years ago I had built an adjustable bench power supply

It was not fancy but it worked I still have it but I do not use it anymore because I had burnt out the voltage regulator that I had used in it and now you can buy them cheaper than building one

It will also depends on how you answer the question I sent you to how I am going to put this together

I have comment you did a very nice job with the case and the write up about it

My thinking is that I want to use a 48 volt / 24 volts
        ( with a selector switch for the two different voltages ) switching power supply and a buck converter and a shunt less amp voltage meter module

With a electronic fuse controller setup that I have that I bought several years ago that I have not had a use for it until now
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-23-2020, 04:54 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I used to build some of my own test equipment, mostly small bench PSU(s) the odd esr / capacitor tester, rf sniffers, noise sources and probes but to be honest I predominantly look at his pragmatically these days and reached the conclusion it was not worth my time. Most of my workshop purchases would not lend themselves to home-brewing and since most if not all or my electrical engineering buys are second hand and or intended for refurbishment the overall costs are low compared to new equipment.

Perhaps if there is some oddity that I need urgently which is not available off the shelf either second hand or new, and or at a sensible pricing structure then I might opt for design and home build. However factoring in my commercial rates it rapidly becomes far cheaper to purchase through the second hand circuit, furthermore equipment purchases are an investment and usually pay for themselves after a couple of repairs.

Comment

I just do it for funsies. If I were a professional, there's no way I'd be building my own equipment.

Next on my list is probably an isolation transformer.

Comment

Nice work, clearchris! That 3d-printed case looks pretty neat.

I've been meaning to build my own bench power supply for years now, but still haven't. The problem is I always find a way to test whatever I am testing without the need for a bench PSU eventually. Either that, or I look through my boxes (note the multiple) of power adapters and always find the adapter and voltage I need... or usually something close enough that I can drop down with a diode or two and get the right voltage I need. Sure a bench PSU would have come handy on many occasions. But in the end, I've always been the type to try and troubleshoot with the least amount of tools possible, and so far that hasn't really stopped me much for fixing a good deal of stuff.

Comment

Next on my list is probably an isolation transformer.
                When you do this project please post it
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I'd think an isolation transformer wouldn't be very much more than just getting an isolation transformer...

Unless...

Comment

sam: it's not hard, you can either get two identical transformers and hook them up, or you can have one transformer, take out one of the coils and rewind it so that it's a 1 to 1 transformer. I have one microwave transformer, I'm on the hunt for another. I'd rather not do the wrapping. Yes, in my box there would be the presence of very high voltage, but I also use microwave ovens and neon signs, both of which have similar voltages. I plan on putting it in a wooden box with no fasteners penetrating all the way through the wood. If I'm feeling really paranoid, I have some glass tubes I can use to isolate the high voltage connections.
                    There are plans out there for such things.

Comment

Oh, I forgot about this, I did print a case for my lcr-4. It's not my design, and it's pretty rough because it was printed before I really had my printer dialed in, but it's functional enough, if not aesthetic.

Attached Files

Comment

Oh, I forgot about this, I did print a case for my lcr-4. It's not my design, and it's pretty rough because it was printed before I really had my printer dialed in, but it's functional enough, if not aesthetic.

I like it!

As for making the case smooth - I've seen people make their own "hot acetone baths" particularly for making 3D-printed ABS plastic projects shiny / with a mirror finish.)

Me - I'm more about function over looks, so I haven't even been bothered to make a case for my T4 meter.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes I smooth my ABS prints, but not often. Here are some things I have cranked out (designed and printed) in the past few days since I have been trapped. IMHO, the designs are pretty slick and the printouts are damn nice too. They are both ABS, neither have been acetone smoothed.

Raspberry Pi Zero W Case and Mount
                          https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4249306

4 Module Relay Case / Mount
                          https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4245641

Comment

New design. CCM5D PWM motor controller. First thing I'm going to hook it to is a computer fan for a fume extractor. No more getting buzzed off kingbo fumes for me!

Pretty simple design, also helped that I used a lot of the design from the power supply.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X