X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
    I just hope the WFs aren't resleeved Samxon GFs!
    Seriously??
    This makes no sense. Why would they be, anyways?

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
    Delta actually design their PSUs such that the output caps are not stressed. That's how lesser esteemed brands such as LTEC and Taicon can survive in very old Delta PSUs.
    Yes.
    Keyword here: very old Delta/Newton PSUs - the ones that typically came with Pentium 4 and Pentium D machines. Later ones... I'm not sure if Delta changed something or Ltec became more crap, but these latter PSUs have a ton more problems with CapXon and Ltec caps, despite the PSUs being built very similar to the old ones and powering an even less power-hungry PCs (typically Core 2 Duo and Athlon II X2's.)

With that said, Ltec is now on my replace-on-sight list. I trust even old Fuhjyyu caps more than that! (Except Fuhjyyu in a CWT - not sure why that combo never worked out ). And CapXon...... eh, let's not talk about them.

It's not uncommon to find general purpose capacitors on elderly motherboards. It's okay to use them so long as they are only used on the output of linear regulators or -maybe- as general output filters (I/O filtering, etc) on really old motherboards.
    Indeed.
    That said, you can still use GP caps even on modern motherboards if the application is with a linear regulator.

Comment

With that said, Ltec is now on my replace-on-sight list. I trust even old Fuhjyyu caps more than that! (Except Fuhjyyu in a CWT - not sure why that combo never worked out ).
      I think LTEC just went from iffy to utter crap over time.

As to Fuhjyyu, well... this is an example of why Fuhjyyu has such an unfavorable reputation:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...6&postcount=54

Regarding the first image in that post, those particular caps were only two or three years old (going by the age of the PSU) at the time, and yet they outgassed in less than four years, just by sitting on the shelf at room temperature.

And that's not the only time it happened:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=26
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=11

If you scroll through the eleven or twelve year old Antec PSU RMA thread, you'll find many a complaint about Fuhjyyu caps having nearly a 100% failure rate, not just in CWT PSUs but pretty much anywhere else. Threads such as this one are probably only a mere sample of the Fuhjyyu “plague”. I have no doubt incompetent fan controllers and poorly ventilated PSUs expedited their failure, but there have been too many failures for heat to be the sole reason why they died.

Of course, due to the inconsistent quality of the dubious brands, everyone's experiences are going to be different so there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to this (other than the brand is dodgy... but of course you already knew that ). CrapXon is largely considered one of the worst brands on the forum, but I've read some people say they've had no issues with them in well cooled PSUs. Some consider Teapo almost on par with the Japanese brands, others would rather deem them closer to CapXon's quality... AKA a game of Russian roulette.

But since we're talking about “resleeved” capacitors.... my experience with Fuhjyyu is closer to that of the older KZG (and to some extent KZJ). I've seen just as many bulge for no apparent reason, even in storage. IMO they are basically equal in quality. Wouldn't it be something if it turned out NCC contracted Fuhjyyu to manufacture their KZG series for a number of years? We'll probably never know (and that's probably not the answer), but it would be funny indeed if they were actually Fuhjyyu all along.

Comment

I think LTEC just went from iffy to utter crap over time.

As to Fuhjyyu, well... this is an example of why Fuhjyyu has such an unfavorable reputation:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...6&postcount=54

Regarding the first image in that post, those particular caps were only two or three years old (going by the age of the PSU) at the time, and yet they outgassed in less than four years, just by sitting on the shelf at room temperature.

And that's not the only time it happened:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=26
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=11

If you scroll through the eleven or twelve year old Antec PSU RMA thread, you'll find many a complaint about Fuhjyyu caps having nearly a 100% failure rate, not just in CWT PSUs but pretty much anywhere else. Threads such as this one are probably only a mere sample of the Fuhjyyu “plague”. I have no doubt incompetent fan controllers and poorly ventilated PSUs expedited their failure, but there have been too many failures for heat to be the sole reason why they died.

Of course, due to the inconsistent quality of the dubious brands, everyone's experiences are going to be different so there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to this (other than the brand is dodgy... but of course you already knew that ). CrapXon is largely considered one of the worst brands on the forum, but I've read some people say they've had no issues with them in well cooled PSUs. Some consider Teapo almost on par with the Japanese brands, others would rather deem them closer to CapXon's quality... AKA a game of Russian roulette.

But since we're talking about “resleeved” capacitors.... my experience with Fuhjyyu is closer to that of the older KZG (and to some extent KZJ). I've seen just as many bulge for no apparent reason, even in storage. IMO they are basically equal in quality. Wouldn't it be something if it turned out NCC contracted Fuhjyyu to manufacture their KZG series for a number of years? We'll probably never know (and that's probably not the answer), but it would be funny indeed if they were actually Fuhjyyu all along.
        Ahh Fuhjyyu aka Chiisi caps. (Chiisi caps still exist)

I remember i purchased some Spiral flourescent bulbs from a store and were UL certified (CFL are harder to find now cause of LEDs), one day i smelled something burning, and found the CFL bulb smoldering and sparking, i plugged off the lamp, and looked at the base, a 2 Fuhjyyu caps vented shorting out the bulb, i was lucky i didnt leave home.

Now LED bulbs are using Aishi caps in an unusual way. They put the cap on wires and push the cap all the way into the metal base where you screw on the bulb to avoid heat. It seems to work because the bulb lasted 4 years.
        Although i did see a cheap dollar store LED bulb with a Chiisi/Fuhyuu cap and it was already vented , and never used.
        Yes i love Nichicon MUSE Audio Capacitors...they would look awesome all over any motherboard

Comment

Are you referencing Chhsi capacitors (Cheng-Shing Electronics)? I don't think they're one in the same regarding Fuhjyyu, but they were definitely among the worst of the crapacitor plague brands back in the day, along with GSC/Sacon/G-Luxon/YEC/Gloria/I.Q/Jackcon/Jpcon/YEC/Wendell/Jee/Rulycon/Fuh Yin/Choyo/Stone/Lelon, etc...

Comment

Are you referencing Chhsi capacitors (Cheng-Shing Electronics)? I don't think they're one in the same regarding Fuhjyyu, but they were definitely among the worst of the crapacitor plague brands back in the day, along with GSC/Sacon/G-Luxon/YEC/Gloria/I.Q/Jackcon/Jpcon/YEC/Wendell/Jee/Rulycon/Fuh Yin/Choyo/Stone/Lelon, etc...
            I know they are bad, but i remember reading somewhere that Fuhjyyu was made by Chhsi for them...i could be wrong if i am, sorry

I looked up Fuhjyyu and the address listed (google maps) just shows a tiny office not a factory.

http://www.fuhjyyu.com.tw/en/contactus.html
            Yes i love Nichicon MUSE Audio Capacitors...they would look awesome all over any motherboard

Comment

I forgot to mention Tayeh and Arcon on that list of utterly crap brands. I could only find a mention of Yihcon on Chhsi’s most recently accessible web archive snapshot. No mention of Fuhjyyu, but looking at their history, they’ve worked closely with both Licon and Teapo to produce capacitors.
              Last edited by Wester547; 05-08-2019, 02:25 AM.

Comment

but they were definitely among the worst of the crapacitor plague brands back in the day, along with GSC/Sacon/G-Luxon/YEC/Gloria/I.Q/Jackcon/Jpcon/YEC/Wendell/Jee/Rulycon/Fuh Yin/Choyo/Stone/Lelon, etc...
                Hehe, you know you've been on badcaps.net long enough when you've seen pretty much all of these brands either shown/mentioned in a thread or have dealt with them yourself.

I.Q. are actually just a bit unpredictable. I still have an Compaq Sniper socket 7 mobo with those I.Q. caps still reading normal. That motherboard also has 3 large Fuh Yin caps on the built-in audio amp (which uses a full-blown TDA1517 IC mounted on a mini heatsink! ). Haven't pulled those, but being in the audio section, they might actually still be reading OK. Probably because they are GP caps and not low-ESR, I imagine. Even the really crap brands don't do that terribly bad when it comes to GP caps in low-stress GP applications... though they are still quite more problematic compared to any good Japanese GP series.

Comment

I think Tayeh just rebranded other random crap. I've seen some that looked like GSC caps and some with other series and date code markings that I don't recognize. I have a modem with Tayeh caps that only have capacitance, voltage, and the temperature rating printed on them.

I still see Fuhjyyu caps in power supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    I.Q. are actually just a bit unpredictable. I still have an Compaq Sniper socket 7 mobo with those I.Q. caps still reading normal. That motherboard also has 3 large Fuh Yin caps on the built-in audio amp (which uses a full-blown TDA1517 IC mounted on a mini heatsink! ). Haven't pulled those, but being in the audio section, they might actually still be reading OK. Probably because they are GP caps and not low-ESR, I imagine. Even the really crap brands don't do that terribly bad when it comes to GP caps in low-stress GP applications... though they are still quite more problematic compared to any good Japanese GP series.
                    Wasn't I.Q one of OST's subsidiaries?
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by itachi View Post
                      Oh I have a good one! A NAD T752 amp filter capacitor let its goo out. Nice amp but the choice of capacitor is questionable.

(other images hidden)
                      Take a look at how wide open the vent is. I'd say it suffered a sudden, violent failure.
                      That's not the first time I've heard of big filter caps going in a NAD amp..

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
                      Found this in an ATX supply and I thought it might be interesting: not sure if that white "fog" is directly related to the bulged cap, but I believe it is, since I haven't seen anything like that so far...what is that ? Has anybody seen this before ? :| Does electrolyte "vape" like that ?
                      Look closely at the big filter/regulation choke hiding behind the wires. I think it has smoked, has it not? Looks a bit dark/burned.
                      I'm betting that it may have had something to do with the capacitor failure, causing the choke to run hot. Once hot enough, it probably develops a short (or looses magnetic properties) in a winding, causing a more significant incident~

//-------------//

Anyways, I've got some specimens of my own to share.
                      The notorious Samsung SyncMaster 204T, with failed SAMXON ("Sam's Gone") GF ("Go Figure") caps.
                      The bung has pushed out, and a little crust built up. Who fed this cap some Taco Bell?

The bloated cap measures a measly 51uF, and the other measures about 340uF. Both way out of spec.
                      NOTE that the non-bulged cap has a wet appearance on the bung, I think it has been leaking!
                      The CapXons (GL series) *appear* fine, but I'll replace them anyways.
                      Attached Files
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

A while ago I bought an Ebay source for an old qosmio toshiba, when I got the source, I was curious to disassemble it, and I found Nichicon capacitors, but obviously fake xDDD.
                        The impression and the color of the label gives them away.
                        The capacitors have not yet failed, although copies will not last long, so I'm going to replace them.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by kevin!; 07-22-2019, 07:51 AM.
                        Gaming pc:
                        nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                        Workshop PC:
                        Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                        Server:

Comment

The font on those “Nichicons” is definitely dodgy, although I’d be curious to see if the bung is accurate or not. My guess is that they are most probably counterfeits as well.

Comment

Found the attached slightly vented capacitor in an xilence 1000W ATX power supply - when issue first surfaced, the supply would only run on warm days, so it had a couple of months of being assisted with the gentle application of a warm hairdryer, though eventually it gave up altogether. This capacitor appears to be the only one showing signs of failure, though I've not replaced it as yet.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Well, on one hand I'm pretty sure that's a low quality brand, but on the other, it's about 12 1/2 years old. Even if it has needed hair dryer help for 2 years, that's a reasonably decent life.
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                                Well, on one hand I'm pretty sure that's a low quality brand, but on the other, it's about 12 1/2 years old. Even if it has needed hair dryer help for 2 years, that's a reasonably decent life.
                                Thanks for your comment PeteS - that's a valid point, and I'm not particularly upset about the failure - I just added the pic for interest. The cap is mounted against a heatsink too, which likely also had some bearing on its failure.

Comment

Taicon BY 22uf 250v.

This is in an older Feit Electric LED bulb that has a LED with a corner burned off.
                                  Attached Files
                                  I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Whole lot of toasty badness going on there, ruky con!
                                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      Well, the low-end Athlon II X2 chips are just only slightly faster than the older AM2 X2 chips clock-for-clock, so no surprise there. That said, once you go above 3 GHz, they're very decent for everyday use.
                                      Athlon II X2s have K10 cores and are significantly quicker than K9-based AM2/2+ X2s. However, they're better in AM3 mobos with DDR3, and do fine in AM2+ mobos also.

That said, the Sargas K10 Semprons 14x are the real sleepers - they work fine in AM2+/AM3/AM3+ sockets with modest idle power consumption and are pretty nifty even when loaded, with CPU power consumption rarely exceeding ~25W. They can also be OC'ed significantly, but I never attempt that. These are the modern-day equivalents of the venerable Tualerons, ~15-20 years later - perfect for 24/7 appliance boxes and HTPCs. Small-footprint distros like Lubuntu 18.04 (Alternate) are perfect for these - Sargas runs fine with dirt-cheap 2GB Kingston DDR2-800 on AM2+ running Lubuntu.
                                      Last edited by linuxguru; 10-31-2019, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Samwah WB series from a Samsung TV (Hansol?) PSU

The bulging caps are 1000uf 25v, there are also 1000uf 10v caps that while not bulging, may also be bad.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

^
                                          Seen plenty of bad WB series caps, they also fail open without any visible signs as well. Replace all of these caps, not only the bulged/leaked ones.
                                          Last edited by pc7fan; 02-05-2020, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X