Comanche Blackhawk 10-meter radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comanche Blackhawk 10-meter radio

Well, I ended up with a broken Comanche Blackhawk.

It's a 10-meter amateur band radio that likely will go into 11-meter.

Looks like the digital electronics is toast. On a very unlikely search, wonder if anyone has seen service manuals for this radio? I have seen some service manuals for radios that are *close* but not quite and unfortunately unusable (Radio Shack HTX-10, Magnum 257, Albrecht 485) else I may have to end up just trashing this radio and salvaging components...

Would be nice to see schematics to find out what pins go from the digital to the analog portion so I could set up a rpi or arduino or something to control the analog guts, as likely the digital section is unrecoverable. Would be nice to actually have some working HF equipment that's not just 11-meter...
    Last edited by eccerr0r; 04-19-2021, 01:06 PM.

after scouring the internet and getting alot of deadends ...i found a site that had info and this radio was designed in GERMANY and sold under a TON of names... the website is a lil sketchy so make sure your AV software is updated disregard the MODEL of the Radio...the Chassie is supposed to be the same over 12 brands... so here is the link i got for one of the models that listed the Schematic... not gonna promise it's the same but from what i read ..it's supposed to be..take that with a grain of salt here ya Go https://www.cbradio.nl/dragon/Schema..._SS485_ENG.pdf .. good luck Daniel.

Comment

show some pictures - you cant just say something is toast

Comment

Psst...don't tell stj i said this but i found out he likes peanut butter and jelly on his toast

Comment

heh, died and didn't ever expect a response...

Toast = LCD is blank, no response. No burnt areas but someone was in the unit making "mods" so I assume the mods killed the digital portion. I was hoping to use the analog portion at some point.

Anyway, thanks - I did come across a bunch of schematics but the boards are all slightly different from each other, though they look so similar... I'll take a look in a bit and see if it's any better, but the 485 seems like it might be the Albrecht 485 which IIRC was not quite the same.

Alas I've subsequently acquired a TS-440 so I'm finally on the air on HF -- so for now I don't need to worry about the Commanche too much. It would be nice to get it working...though if I have to make a new controller/LCD for it, it might get shelved at this point...

BTW, if someone looks at the schematic, IC4 (lower/right hand section of the schematic, just left of IC5, a bona fide amplifier) is a 3-terminal regulator drawn as ... an amplifier... WTF.. LOL.
          Last edited by eccerr0r; 12-13-2023, 02:46 PM.

Comment

They just used the triangle symbol for linear regulators.
            I'd look for the dial lamps and MCU 5V rail and don't see Xtal osc for it to check. I think RESET is job of Q407. There are strangely a bunch of fuses going to MCU pins (=jumpers?) and one internal to the MCU at pin 11. It might be for config.

But if a gorilla was in here trying to do mods, they basically destroy a lot of stuff.

Comment

the "fuses" are jumpers - it probably selects the frequency range & similar stuff so they can use it in different models or countries.

Comment

This fuse seems OTP, but seems silly because you you can leave the fuse alone, pin 11 is low or pop the fuse and pin 11 gets pulled up high. Ground pin 34 and it should go low. So no "security" there.
                The display shows CB Ch. 40 so maybe it's AM/SSB/10m options.
                Attached Files

Comment

fuq. The cpu board/daughterboard is soldered to the analog board via card edge instead of using a connector.... GRR.... cheeep cheep cheeep cheeeeeeep...

BTW, yes the backlight is(was) on so power is good. I've been meaning to check reset and the crystal output but too lazy recently, haven't been feeling well.
                  Last edited by eccerr0r; 12-14-2023, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Eccerr0r... i hope you end up feeling better... i wasn't sure if the schematics i found was gonna help..but the site i had found them on listed that radio chassis for at least 12 other radios... i gather there is some minor changes for each radio..but they claim they are all the same...so thats whi i grabbed what i could in the Meantime i hope everyone has a nice christmas... i used to have one but i'm seperated pending divorce and right now the only thing keeping me sane is keeping myself busy even with small stuff but i hope everyone has a nice holiday just the same

Comment

Working...
                    X