This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello! I'm a physicist with a faulty LCD TV looking to repair it on the cheap. People on this forum seems very helpful, so thanks in advance for your assistance!

Comment

Hi. New guy here. Fixed a Samsung with bad caps...want to give an LG a shot now! lol This seems like a great place to learn more about this stuff. Thanks for having me.

Comment

howdy techs, Im not a tech, nor any kind of repair guru. What i am is a user who is tired of getting electonics that die in the first hours after the warrantee is out. And i have enough technical knowledge and where with all to fix almost anything that dont need machining. I feel if i need some guidance this should be the place to fix something Visio says "sorry, thats out of warrantee, please buy another"

Comment

well guys I am all new to electronics, just got married so need a hobby to stop me killing the wife lol, started with a faulty 50 Samsung, change the PSU and now getting one click so getting further than I was, I think the problem is the yboard and top buffer!! I will end up spending more on this TV that it is worth, but if I fixed then it is worth it!!. I go me self a knew iron coming this week and a headband magnifier so I will look the part. looking through the form and it looks like a good one cant wait to get something fixed by my own hands, cheers guys talk soon

Comment

Hello everyone, i'm another newbie thats read a lot of great stuff from you all before i've started.
            Just a little info about myself, i'm 54, married, live in Yorkshire, England.
            I have wired up HGV trailers, agricultural tractors and i'm currently working on the electrics on the trains.
            I had a free week in Canada to learn all about "On Train Monitoring Systems".
            As a hobby, i have always liked to find out how things work.
            I've saved a few bob over the years, fixing the washer, dishwasher tv's, videos and dvd's.
            A few years ago now i built disco equipment but these days i'm more into getting jukeboxes working again, either vinyl or cd and i also like to recycle old computers and build them into jukebox wallboxes to make jukebox mp3 players.
            Always willing to learn new things.
            Hope to get a reply so i know this worked!

Comment

Hello I'm new hope this will be a good experience.

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
              As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
              So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
              where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
              Hello all I'm new in this forum so hope this will be a good experience.

Comment

Any one know how to fix Philips 52 " LCD TV ?
                My pictures disappear after 1/2 hr with still having back light and sound.
                If I turn this tv off after a few min on it works again. it looks like some components get hot and shuts up the picture.
                Fred

Comment

Fixed a couple of tvs with bad caps and found this forum after. I have a couple more Tvs im working on now.....so much fun!

Comment

Hi everyone. I'm new here, but been fixing devices with bad caps for awhile now. Lots of useful information you've collected here

Comment

The latest newby! (at least at the time I typed this!) I found this site because I was looking for information regarding repairs on an old LCD TV I have...

I started my career with an A.A.S. in Electronics...back in '84....did a lot of bench work...fixes, builds, etc., in the earliest of days, then everything became disposable...so I moved on to IT...servers, PCs and networks... I still like to dabble in electronics here and there, though...back to my roots!

Comment

Hi new here. Found this site as lightning hit our house and through the previous posting of other member was able to fix 5 tvs that were damaged and decided to join. I enjoyed fixing the tvs and kind of became a hobby.

Comment

Hello! New here troubleshooting my monitor with 2 seconds to black. Have some interesting findings but will startba new thread to explain.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi - just joined whilst trying to find information on Vestel chassis TVs. I've been servicing TVs for around 35 years. When flat screen TV came along, the servicing shifted from component level repair to PCB changing. I kind of lost touch with the old ways. In the meantime I've built PCs repaired laptops and learned HTML and CSS along with basic PHP and JQuery. I intend poking about this place to refresh my skills.

Comment

Hi. Over the last year I recapped a TR808, part-recapped an Allen & Heath GS3, Akai MPC 3000 and currently I'm looking to recap my insanely red hot Ensoniq ASR10 and my mildly hot Ensoniq EPS16+.

Comment

Hi everyone my name is David Vincent and I love to play around trying to fix things badcaps is a fantastic website and has helped me loads, my hobbies are Ufos repairing computers, I am married and have 3 Children

Great to be here

Comment

Hi All!
                                  I've been visiting this great board from long time and it helped a lot, so I thought it was time to join with.
                                  A big Ciao from Italy!!!

Tomaso

Comment

Hi, new to the forum. I've been dabbling in electronics repair for a couple of years now. This started with repairing arcade machines, then got into fixing my failed electronics around the house. Currently I've got an in with my local IT at work where they give me their bad monitors now and then. Usually it's a few caps, but sometimes it's much deaper such as '2 sec to black' failures. I have fun fixing them, and I can keep swapping out my home PC monitor with the latest repair! It's nice to upgrade my family's monitors too. See you guys around!

Comment

Great Site I was looking around and ran across this site started reading. Nice some one other than me to talk too. I have been a bench tech for a 31 years until 7-31-2013 the store closed ,now I am on my own

Comment

Hi, this is my first post. Hope you guys will be able to help me to fix my plasma TV... it stopped working a few days ago.

Comment

Hello from Northern NY. My background is television and radio electronics, but it is rather aged. Anyone here remember electron tubes? (I have some Radio Shack Lifetime Warranty ones. Do you think I can still get them replaced?)

More recently I've fixed a few computers, TVs and monitors, but most had visible defects or easily solvable troubles. I stumbled across this forum in my search for help with a recent acquisition and found the info here quite useful, so I joined to be able to see some of the other items only available to members. I will probably seek more help than I will provide, but maybe someday...

Comment

Working...
                                          X