Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suitable capacitor to replace two of these in network switch

Hi All,

I've just opened up a network switch (HP procurve 2510-24g) as the fans were so loud, and when looking over the board it looks like two of the capacitors have got some issues, see pics.
    https://imgur.com/a/MpTTwqx
    https://imgur.com/a/2WdlGfh

As best I can tell, these are KZG 10V 1500uf in a 10x16 form, so a impedence of 0.019 and ripple of 2000. From some old threads I found, these are well out of production now and there's been questions about replacements in the past. I've got some panasonic 1500uf 10v, ripple current at 1790 but impedence at 0.028. Is that likely to be a bit too high? Otherwise I found available rubycon 1500uf at 16v, that looks pretty close with 1960 ripple and 0.02 impedence, should I go with them?

No faults/error lights when it powers up so I guess the existing caps are just about OK but I'd like to do something for long term stability.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 01-26-2022, 02:15 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded

Re: Suitable capacitor to replace two of these in network switch

Yea something like Rubycon ZL is an excellent replacement when the added height is not an issue.
    Normally I'd say to replace all KZG caps but wierdly your failed ones are from 2006 and the ones next to them from 2008 which I have not seen failures of yet.
    I guess HP found some old caps in a drawer when building this switch
    P.S: Using the Panasonic caps is probably not a problem, probably
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

those specs for the size are very high,
      i would use a polymer part

Comment

Thanks for both for the replies.

I now know what polymer caps look like which is an added bonus

I did a bit more searching for both, the usual big distributors are around £10 here just for delivery unless its a big enough order. I've found ZLH and ZLS (and also some on ebay) which look really close to the existing ones spec (tho 16V seems alot easier in that diameter, just a bit taller).

I didn't have so much luck with a close polymer spec, I found one (well, two others not stocked), Kemet (A755MS158M1AAAE013) but impedance was down at 0.013 and ripple at 5100, it's been a long time since I dived into this but I'm guessing higher ripple handling is no bad thing, but the impedance might be matched with other parts of the circuit and so more key to have close to existing?

Will look at sorting out the order tomorrow, hopefully I can think of a few other bits I need to get the order over £40 and then get free shipping

Comment

nippon chemicon PSG series
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vinnieb View Post
            I didn't have so much luck with a close polymer spec, I found one (well, two others not stocked), Kemet (A755MS158M1AAAE013) but impedance was down at 0.013 and ripple at 5100, it's been a long time since I dived into this but I'm guessing higher ripple handling is no bad thing, but the impedance might be matched with other parts of the circuit and so more key to have close to existing?
            You are spot on with that comment!

P.S: The PSG caps stj linked to has their whole own thread here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65732
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Oof. I had a SRW 2048 I got at goodwill (computer works) for $30 that randomly freezes. Tons of "stone" brand caps inside. Like, 15. Accidentally ordered the wrong size (bigger width by 2mm) but they worked fine at an angle
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
              X