Capacitor missing on GTX 1050 TI 4GT OC - Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor missing on GTX 1050 TI 4GT OC - Need help

Hello everyone and happy to post a message, I have an MSI GTX 1050 ti 4gt oc and at any time the card gives me a black screen and then nothing.

Even when trying to install windows for example at startup, the card started to make a black screen.

I have not yet tried to take measurements but I have observed a missing capacitor which is impossible to find on the boarview and seems nonexistent for this one or diagram.
    In addition, my thermal camera shows an overheating of 40 degrees at this location.

I show you a photo named (InkedGTX 1050 GOOD_LI) which proves that it is very likely a capacitor.

And other photos of the missing component.
    How to find the right value? I take the opportunity to put the complete diagram.
    What should I measure off in this case?

Many thanks in advance.:le sourire::réjouir:
    Attached Files

Re: Capacitor missing on GTX 1050 TI 4GT OC - Need help

I forgot to show the graphics card ^
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi, the boardview isnt allways exact, it depends on the model and revision, but with a schematics its all you need for fixing them.

look for the schematics and post them here so we can have info.

Look for more missing parts arround that zone

Comment

hey thank you for your return response. Indeed I agree with you. I only found a boardview that matches the msi gtx 1050 ti simply and not the GTX 1050 4gt OC and no schematic yet. It seems that the manufacturer does not provide it. After an inspection this is the only component removed and I have not tested which rail it is on. Small question can I try a capacitor with a value for example 2.2 uF or 470 pf. Looks like it's size 603 or 402. Or am I waiting to find a diagram?

Comment

Hi, first check if this is definitely a cap, easy way is to search for pictures of same type of card in the net. If it's cap, fire up the card and measure the voltage on the pad's, most probably this will be a power filtering cap. Just put there a cap with the highest capacity you can find, eg 10-20uF with the next higher standard voltage. However one missing power filtering cap cannot cause the failure you write about. So probbaly this is not the cause. Look for a other missing components, if one is missing there might be more, especially when you don't know the history of the card. Check U503, looks like desoldered, also strange is there are no SP-Caps on the backside at all, only places for (these ca 4 times 10mm black cases, ca 2 mm thick).
          Last edited by DynaxSC; 12-31-2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Hey hello I want to thank you for the precious advice really.

1) According to the real photos on internal it is well a capacitor dimensions 805 and at the level of measurements there is 1.8 Volts what seems to be on the line 1V8.
            2) U503 is original desoldered and without component normally.

3) For information I did as you specified and added a 10uF capacitor (the only one I have) and the graphics card displays a picture well for more than an hour for the moment without it cutting the picture by a black screen very quickly.
            Should I add a 22uF as a precaution in your experience?

4)The GPU-Z software displays all the properties of the graphics card well compared to starting with nothing.
            HMDI and DP port work flawlessly as well as in game over an hour.

To conclude I think that this small capacitor seemed to disturb a very important line.

My friend will be happy to get it back

Comment

Hi,

I'm happy this helped.

If the card will run correctly under full load for eg 30 min. (you can do it with Furmark test), than it seems this cap is enough - longer not recommended, as this is a real stress for the card. Observe the GPU temperature !!! Usually it should not get above 70-75 Celsius, if yes check the fitting of the cooler, ventilators and thermo grease. I have seen cards which where badly designed/assembled in factory, cooler not ideally seated on GPU, and GPU burned out with wholes.

You can try to measure the ripple voltage on the capacitor (provided this is really connected to the 1,8V supply) with a meter in AC voltage and calculate what is the percentage against the 1,8V value. I would guess under 1-2% is still OK, if more I would evaluate 22uF. You can make the same with a scope if you have one at hand. Be carefull, it's easier than one tends to believe to make a short when measuring powered card, so maybe you should follow the maxime "never change a running system" and let it as is - speaking from my experience - very often when I wanted to "make it perfect" I achieved the opposite.
              Last edited by DynaxSC; 01-02-2022, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Hii, if you have another 10uF you can try to parallel the cap, put it on top another. 22uF with 20% tolerance is around 18-26uF so 20uF is pretty much works. Or you can salvage from another dead board like motherboard, vga and hdd board. but 22uF usually in VGA or Motherboard unless you have strange hdd board.

Comment

I'm afraid that with Furmark the software brings the graphics card to its knees and makes it hs like I never tried for fear.
                  Is it really reliable? because it will be pushed to the extreme =S

Unfortunately I don't have this type of hardware yet. Of course I did measure 1.8 Volts on this capacitor and that I will add later 22uF if it is not stable in games in the future I think.

And indeed I had the same problem as you under voltage ^^ I made an electric arc on a capacitor and it did not appreciate and yet measured as it should.and sometimes difficult to make a return when it is the GPU or CPU.

faraday28 = Hello to you =D I take note of your information and thank you for this little tip

But one last question when I don't know the value of a ceramic capacitor and it is of course missing on an electronic board for example (computer motherboard, graphics card, tablet etc..) and there is no schematic or boardview. How to choose the right value in farad?

Often there are his little friends on the line and with the capacitance meter it is easier but when there is only one or several missing how to know the right value?

Nice evening to you

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Comment

Hi, I never had an issue with Furmark, tested a lot of cards, even up to 3h non-stop. The cards must withstand such load by design. However they must be in good condition. i.e. clean, good thermal paste, cooling/fans/fan driving circuit working 100%. Furmark shows the GPU core temp. online as an graph, so if there is an issue, you will see and can turn off power. Its better to test the card in monitored way, as do it later eg. during gaming w/o monitoring. Games can also stress the card very heavily.

Regarding the caps it is always necessary to understand their role in the circuit, sometimes you need to make some reverse engineering, look on the chips they work with, look into the datasheets of the chips, look i to application notes (often some reference applications are in the datasheets) . Very often the values are just the same like in the application notes of the chip vendors. The card vendors go the easiest way, and copy the chip vendor recommendations, they are same kind of lazy as we all

And the ultimative last option solution working always is to buy a second same card, measure the component, and sell it again. This is a matter of calculation, if it is worth to do.
                    Last edited by DynaxSC; 01-05-2022, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X