Supermicro curse strikes again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Supermicro curse strikes again

Um no, he said I could have it. I have higher dibs, unless Topcat is a complete sellout.

Dick move Imho.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      Um no, he said I could have it. I have higher dibs, unless Topcat is a complete sellout.

Dick move Imho.
      Wow just noticed this post, your a arrogant ass.

And WTF is "Higher Dibs" giving it to you for free or selling it to me for cash is 2 different things. Now if he was choosing who to give it to for free then yes you should be first but that was not the case. I offered $ for it and you "as usual were looking for a free handout.

Comment

^Moot point... And FWIW It's still a bit dirty IMHO to publicly say "you can have it" and then sell it when somebody flashes dollar signs... Yes, money talks, but there is something to sticking to your word.
        sigpic

Comment

^Moot point... And FWIW It's still a bit dirty IMHO to publicly say "you can have it" and then sell it when somebody flashes dollar signs... Yes, money talks, but there is something to sticking to your word.
          To me only SCUM sucking freeloaders use the "He said I could have it" over "I will pay for it" excuse.

Isn't it time to get off the free handout tit and start earning your place in life?

What you need to learn is real life and I hope you start learning it before you get married and have kids so they don't have to suffer at your expense.

Comment

^Not worth replying, I'm not going to start a flame war over slander and BS.
            sigpic

Comment

Odd update:

I found out the secret to SLIC'ing Supermicro boards... whatever you do, DO NOT UPDATE THE BOOTBLOCK! That means if you use the .bat, axe the /BBU option (or type "phlash16 /x /s ____.rom). This also means if you're updating to a newer version, flash the vanilla rom first (with the bootblock) and then flash the modded (without the bootblock).

Did it to my X6DA8 w/o issues... I'd also do it to X5DAL in question but until I get around to recapping a spare PSU, it's PSU will continue to be stuck in another rig (my parents).

Yay mydigitallife... The X6DA8 decided to break activation on my update copy for a bit, and I decided to google it one more time... and found an obscure server/workstation mod thread that had this tidbit
              sigpic

Comment

more updates:

-got the PSU back (my buddy happened to gift me a HP XW4000 which is now my parent's rig)... and I've toyed with the X5dal some:

-SLIC still doesn't work (yay having 2 boards so I could hotflash my way out). The X6DA8 had no issue though... odd... whatever, I have 3 7 upgrade keys, one of which is still allocated to said rig. all this means is I have to install XP first (big deal)

-I got the 8GB RAM to work... I figured out that it seemed to play nice with my 128mb Geforce fx5200 card with 8GB... upped the AGP apeture to 256MB (max) and now it plays well with 8gb and my 1GB HIS HD4680 (IIRC, it's been too long).

-Insult to injury: my 320GB HDD went belly up in storage... the one it replaced under warranty did the same thing. Damn WD POS... and I liked WD drives. Good thing I had an 80GB seagate not in use (now I need to find a decent SATA HDD, or 3 and a 3ware 9550 )
                sigpic

Comment

Any good ratdude ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/3WARE-AMCC-9...item19fb69d2d1

Comment

PCI-X, you need a good server board for that.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                      No BBU. No bueno. I already have 2 9550's (both with BBU) in service and a pair of 9500's sitting (one with a bad battery (good bbu board), the other with a good BBU)... but the 9500's were so doggedly slow in comparison.

Stj, this thing has two PCI-X slots, along with two PCI slots and an AGP Pro 8x slot. This thing is twin xeon beast (only ATX though, not EATX).
                      sigpic

Comment

Happened across this thread. A friend of mine is looking to unload some mostly NOS Socket 604 Supermicro Superserver 6024 series rack mount equipment. Do people actually want these things anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by NJRoadfan View Post
                          Happened across this thread. A friend of mine is looking to unload some mostly NOS Socket 604 Supermicro Superserver 6024 series rack mount equipment. Do people actually want these things anymore?
                          Yes. *drool*

If you were closer I'd be interested (moving out very soon, I could use a decent file server since my current one stays with my parents)

------

Posting from it now... so far so good. running pretty quick too. faster than I'd expect. Now I remeber why I worked so hard on it...
                          Last edited by ratdude747; 05-21-2015, 01:05 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Looking at the photos I got, its not just SuperMicro. There is an Intel Server Board SE7525RP2 mixed in there with a few 6024 chassis.

Comment

Supermicro makes both boards and chassis (and barebones that combine both). The real question is how many HDDs does it support... some only hold one or two (these are made more for processing power) and others hold 4 or more (these are made more for network storage).

I can't say people all over would be interested, but I know that I think such isn't junk (and I know I'm not the only one on BCN who thinks so).
                              sigpic

Comment

Reviving this to attach a relevant but no-longer-available file.

This is the latest X5DAL Bios. No mods. Pulled from a softpedia external mirror (SM no longer lists it, maybe still available on their FTP?

Happy flashing!
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic

Comment

Reviving this to attach a relevant but no-longer-available file.

This is the latest X5DAL Bios. No mods. Pulled from a softpedia external mirror (SM no longer lists it, maybe still available on their FTP?

Happy flashing!
                                  Gracias.....I was given one of these....the only reason I'm wasting time on it, it came with a pair of 3.2GHz 533fsb (SL7AE) Gallatins w/2mb L3's.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                  Team : 49813
                                  Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                    Gracias.....I was given one of these....the only reason I'm wasting time on it, it came with a pair of 3.2GHz 533fsb (SL7AE) Gallatins w/2mb L3's.
                                    I got a pair of those... in the system this thread of shame was made about originally no less.
                                    sigpic

Comment

I got a pair of those... in the system this thread of shame was made about originally no less.
                                      Nah, not shame.....just a quirky old board that has gone from a workhorse in the day to now being thrown together as a novelty during this novel-cv19 downtime. Good but goofy P4-era gamer system with period specific hardware.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                      X