Dell 2408WFPb / 2408WFP - No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 2408WFPb / 2408WFP - No Power

Wow, this forum really is the place to be for this kind of work. You guys were both spot on with the diagnosis. I inspected the TCon board and reseated/cleaned all the connections to it, specifically the LVDS did seem a bit out of alignment. This seems to have solved the problem, thanks for the surgical advice! Cheers
    Last edited by Joontree; 06-04-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Cool man! Glad you fixed the problem. @budm: great post:-)

Comment

FWIW, I had the failure to power up unless the main chip was heated before applying power. I ordered a replacement off of ebay which works fine. I noticed that 4 capacitors had a different brand than the failed board. 4 x 25V 100uF. C231, C229, C116 and C114.

Comment

Hey everyone, I know this is an old thread but this seems to be the best place to look for answers.

I recently received a 2408WFPb for free and it doesn't work. For the heck of it I tried replacing the IC701 but that didn't do anything.

I should add that like others on here, I don't see any obvious signs of failure on the board, and that I get no indication on the power LED whatsoever.

It sounds like most people on here get some power LED indication? Not sure what my problem might be.

Just wondering if this thing is too far gone.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowsnow4free View Post
            Hey everyone, I know this is an old thread but this seems to be the best place to look for answers.

I recently received a 2408WFPb for free and it doesn't work. For the heck of it I tried replacing the IC701 but that didn't do anything.

I should add that like others on here, I don't see any obvious signs of failure on the board, and that I get no indication on the power LED whatsoever.

It sounds like most people on here get some power LED indication? Not sure what my problem might be.

Just wondering if this thing is too far gone.

Thanks!
            Try heating the central heat sink with a hair dryer. Once it is nice and hot, pull the power cord, count to 3, replace the power cord and turn on with the power button. This usually works for me. (I have done this successfully with the case on, but is easier with the case off.)

Comment

Originally posted by dbrubeck View Post
              Try heating the central heat sink with a hair dryer. Once it is nice and hot, pull the power cord, count to 3, replace the power cord and turn on with the power button. This usually works for me. (I have done this successfully with the case on, but is easier with the case off.)
              Thanks dbrubeck!

It sounds like you want me to first heat the heatsink with the power cable in (and plugged in?) then to count to 3, and plug the power cable back in and turn it on? Just want to confirm about having the power cable plugged in and connected to power first.

Is this a permanent fix or a temporary one? If it's temporary, what does it tell me if the hair dryer trick works? (like, what part(s) is/are bad?)

Thanks!

Comment

Please read this forum carefully. It doesn't matter whether the power cable is connected or not. Heat up the heatsink and then try to power on your monitor. If the monitor works fine, I recommend to apply Sirzur's great solution with the power resistors. You can read his description and see some clear photos as well.

Comment

Hello, my Dell 2408 does not switch on.
                  I think the power supply may still be working.
                  On the main board there is two heat sink :
                  One a little smallest than the other with "straight lines" and is a little warm.
                  And the other is not dissipating anything apparently.
                  Do you think heating more this warm heatsink is usefull ?

Comment

Originally posted by nabla666 View Post
                    Hello, my Dell 2408 does not switch on.
                    I think the power supply may still be working.
                    On the main board there is two heat sink :
                    One a little smallest than the other with "straight lines" and is a little warm.
                    And the other is not dissipating anything apparently.
                    Do you think heating more this warm heatsink is usefull ?
                    Sorry my mistake, it is the central heat sink which is warm.
                    The smallest one is not.
                    ( I did not find where to edit my post....)
                    Damned there is an "Edit" button to this post but not to the previous one...
                    Last edited by nabla666; 01-02-2020, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sirzur View Post
                      So I wanted to post my workaround (NOT fix) for the Dell screen not [powering on. But to recap

• The fix is to heat up the heatsink on the onboard BGA chip
                      • Seem to imply that the BGA solder is bad, but someone had reflowed the BGA chip and that did not fix the problem
                      • X-ray photography shows that the BGA solder balls to be intact
                      • Speculation that one of the internal pins broken and only bridged with heat
                      • I confirmed that a hot hair dryer on the heatsink for a few minutes will subsequently allow the monitor to light up

Hack uses two resistors powered by a USB 5V source to heat up the heatsink of the BGA chip. The basics of the USB heater design are:

• 2 X 3W, 6.8 ohm connected in series to USB source
                      • Heat resistant sleeve where it contacts the heatsink
                      • V = I X R, therefore that current in the circuit is about 0.37A, below the 0.5A specification of a USB port
                      • Heating power = V X I = 1.8 watts between the two resistors, so I chose 3W rated resistors for adequate safety margin

Then power down the monitor at the mains and reapply power to the monitor and it should fire up. The reapplication of power is a necessary step as just heating the heatsink with power turned on to the monitor will NOT light up the screen
                      Thank you so much for this! My good old Dell 2408WFP is back to working with your method

For some reason the 6.8ohm resistors I bought are more like 7.5ohm, but they do work. I used a Micro USB to USB adapter cable for the power and used heatshrink. The cable can just poke out by the composite ports without cutting the plastic case. I did bend the metal shield out of the way slightly so it can't slice the cable though.

It takes about 5 minutes of heating to get the monitor from its original state of:
                      Power LED blinks once then turns off

to:
                      Power LED blinks on very quickly, then goes off, then comes back on and stays on. The Dell logo is then displayed on the screen.

I left it connected up for around an hour and the heatsink was barely hot to the touch, so it's maybe safe to leave it connected indefinitely.

Comment

Hey, everyone, I found this thread via google and figured I would post here asking for help since I have the same monitor, basically when I got it,

It was working fine and then I had to unplug it from the power and when I plugged it back in I was greeted with a messy white screen and not able to switch inputs or see the OSD menu,

if I hit the side of the monitor the picture would blink like it is trying to correct itself but it does not do anything

I took it apart and checked all of the caps and none looked bulged or anything but now when I turn it on I get the green led on the power button and a black screen but I can tell the backlights are working

and if I hit the side of it there is blinks of white, so it still does kinda work but I cannot get a picture of any kind, does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?

Comment

Originally posted by sirzur View Post
                          So I wanted to post my workaround (NOT fix) for the Dell screen not [powering on. But to recap

• The fix is to heat up the heatsink on the onboard BGA chip
                          • Seem to imply that the BGA solder is bad, but someone had reflowed the BGA chip and that did not fix the problem
                          • X-ray photography shows that the BGA solder balls to be intact
                          • Speculation that one of the internal pins broken and only bridged with heat
                          • I confirmed that a hot hair dryer on the heatsink for a few minutes will subsequently allow the monitor to light up

Hack uses two resistors powered by a USB 5V source to heat up the heatsink of the BGA chip. The basics of the USB heater design are:

• 2 X 3W, 6.8 ohm connected in series to USB source
                          • Heat resistant sleeve where it contacts the heatsink
                          • V = I X R, therefore that current in the circuit is about 0.37A, below the 0.5A specification of a USB port
                          • Heating power = V X I = 1.8 watts between the two resistors, so I chose 3W rated resistors for adequate safety margin

The implementation was as follows:
                          • Old USB cable, but doubled up the line to reduce line resistance (Data+ and Data- cable used for power and neutral respectively)
                          • Heat sleeves to resistors, between resistors and also from resistors
                          • When circuit is soldered, do a trial with a 5V source to confirm that resistors heat up
                          • Outer heatsink fins bent outwards to create space for resistors. Resistors in contact with heatsink and just held in place by friction.
                          • Ensure no bare wire contact with heat sink
                          • USB cable routed under boards
                          • Cut made in right protective stainless steel cover and also screen back cover to allow access for USB cable
                          • I would strongly recommend to connect power to the USB cable to confirm that the heatsink is being heated up before reassembling the monitor

I attach some photos to show final implementation. To use it, either connect the "new" USB to a 5V source (a phone charger works) for a few minutes. I find that 2-3 minutes is all that is required on mine. Alternatively, power up the monitor - despite the screen not lighting up, there is power to the USB ports which can be used to heat up the heatsink.

Then power down the monitor at the mains and reapply power to the monitor and it should fire up. The reapplication of power is a necessary step as just heating the heatsink with power turned on to the monitor will NOT light up the screen
                          He everyone,
                          This thread was already too old but since I found the material useful in my case, thought that my follow-up would be useful for someone else...

This was my case:
                          Whenever I unplugged my Dell 2408wfp, there was a 50% chance it wouldn't turn on with a half dim power LED. So I had to unplug and re-plug a few times to power it on.
                          Finally it got really bad and didn't respond to this trick and wouldn't turn on at all...

1st step: Disassembled and checked PSU: ALL RIGHT
                          2nd Step: Heated main CHIP to about 60'C with a Heat Gun: power LED flashed once and after half second turned on and stayed on forever. So I thought BINGO! that's it! and applied sirzur's trick to preheat the CHIP with resistors. BUT surprisingly it didn't work . It would heat the chip but it didn't power up!
                          3rd step:I realized that it is not the main chip that was faulty and the reason it worked with Heat Gun but not with localized Resistor Heater, was that Heat Gun heated the adjacent elements too. I started examining those elements and found out that the faulty elements are U20 & U21 chips (marked in the attached image) that were quite close to main chip and responded well to heating. So I decided to reflow them. I used Heat Gun set to 300'C without any insulation for nearby elements! (I know, I could toast capacitors beside those chips, but fortunately it didn't happen). and VOILA.

Know no matter how long the monitor remained unplugged and in what temperature the device or it's components are, it turns on like a brand new device without needing any warming or anything else...

PS: for those for whom this trick doesn't work and might want to stick with the preheating method described by sirzur, the better calculation for the resistors:

15*10ohm 1 watt resistors arranged this way:
                          First group them by 3 and connect them in series => result is 5* 30ohm resistor.
                          Then connect those 5 resistors from previous Step in parallel => result is a 6ohm resistor that draws slightly less that 1 amp connected to 5v supply.
                          There is a connector on the mainboard that supplies power to the USB hub with 5 pins. the two outer ones have 5v deference. You may use them without concern about current overflow cuz it is designed to supply power to the whole HUB that has 4 USB ports and three memory sluts. But you should put a switch on the way to turn the heater off afterwards.
                          Two important considerations:
                          1-Be careful when pushing resistors in the heatsink, if you damage the thin layer of insulation on the resistors you might cuz a short circuit and damage the power supply, so check the insulation between the heatsink and heater before connecting it to the power supply.
                          2-use some SILICON GEL to facilitate heat transfer between heatsink and resistors.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by eaarnoudse View Post
                            I am also trying to repair a Dell 2408WFPb. I have the same problem as mentioned in one of the previous posts. A led light that blinks one time and the monitor won't turn on. The power supply is OK, because CN701 has about 24V on the output. The reason that the inverter board doesn't power on is simple. The first black wire on CN701 is the ON/OFF signal and it's 0V.

I started to suspect the mainboard and I found a way to power up this board. It seems like there are two main sections on it. Each section has a big chip, a crystal and a voltage regulator. First, I measured the section at the side where the power supply cable comes in. The crystal has a perfect sine wave and the voltage regulator shows a perfect 1.8V. But there is no voltage on the second crystal and voltage regulator.

I heated the heatsink and the onboard chip in the first section very carefully with a hot air rework station. Then I tried to power up the monitor and it was working great again. I waited some time until the heatsink was cooled down. The monitor did not start up. I heated the heatsink and chip again and the monitor was working fine.

I think there is a cold solder joint in one of the pins of this chip. Maybe a reflow precedure will solve the problem, although this method is not very reliable. I hope this post will help other people to troubleshoot this specific problem.

Greetz,
                            Erwin
                            Hi All

Amazing that this thread from 2011? is still helping people ! I had one of these monitors which died sometime last year. Couldn't throw it away.

It's now working again thanks to the hair dryer trick ! Brilliant.

So options-wise...

- Replace the mainboard ? I've found one on ebay for £40.00 ish which seems ok.

- Never switch it off ? i.e will standby heat be enough to keep it from dying again ?

Anything I missed ?

Great result and thanks to all again

wert

Comment

Did not expected that. I had no power, ordered new power supply, still no power. No power LED at all, 23.5V on some wires, fuses good. Heated up big chip on main board with hair dryer, reconnected cord and power is back.

Comment

My power card(s) were not functionning...
                                I made several mistake during the repair ( I tested with the command ribbon under the power card by error and it shorted... )
                                I had an extra one, so not too much bad.
                                So I changed the fuse, a varistor and and a diode.
                                And it still does not power up untill I blow heat on the motherboard....

I did not want to try the heating fix so I buy another broken 2408 for 10 €
                                The display panel is out of order on this one but the other parts seems to work.
                                I took the motherboard to put on my 2408 and it worked....at the beginning....

The monitor does power up and works (!) but after a certain amount of time it seems to shut off.
                                The monitor seems to heat a lot...not sure if it is normal...
                                I could try to exchange my repaired power cards with the others to see it if change anything but as I have no more usage for this monitor, I give up.
                                I gave it to a friend.(with a Samsung Syncmaster 244 T still working from 2006 !!!, it was my dual monitor at works but since my employer provided me 2 Aoc 4k 27"

Comment

Dell 2408WFPb / 2408WFP x 2

Originally posted by wertert View Post
                                  Hi All

Amazing that this thread from 2011? is still helping people ! I had one of these monitors which died sometime last year. Couldn't throw it away.

It's now working again thanks to the hair dryer trick ! Brilliant.

So options-wise...

- Replace the mainboard ? I've found one on ebay for £40.00 ish which seems ok.

- Never switch it off ? i.e will standby heat be enough to keep it from dying again ?

Anything I missed ?

Great result and thanks to all again

wert
                                  Hi All

Update for you. Had to move rooms at home during lockdown so my problem monitor was switched off and unplugged. It got cold and now will not power up even if I heat the same area as before. I also managed to short the control ribbon cable against the power supply ( like the last poster ).

Not wanting to give up I've purchased another monitor for £20.00. Powers up ok but it's got the very common black vertical line 2 inches from the left hand edge.

So the question is. Can I combine these 2 monitors ( 1 dead / 1 blackline ) and produce a working one with zero defects ?

Main issue I have is i'm not sure what the various boards do inside the casing. Do you think the best bet is to swap the LCD panel over ?

Thanks again

Wert

Comment

You have two small PCB on the left ( they are the power supply ) and a bigger PCB which is the main "motherboard".
                                    The first power supply in which you plug the electricity is an isolation transformer and the second one is the AC->DC transformer.
                                    I would just put the working motherboard you just bought on your old monitor, that the easiest and the only solution.

Personnaly I made the same move : I bought a 2048 with a defective LCD panel for 10 € but it was at least displaying something.
                                    I put the motherboard on my 2048 and at first it was working.
                                    ( Before that I could warm the old motherboard with a dryer and it would work ! )

The only problem after the exchange is that the monitor would switch off after a while.
                                    It was probably a power heating problem with the power supply I fixed not as good as necessary.

As I was not having the use of the 2048 anymore, I gave the two to a friend who swapped the power supply too and voila, it works again !

Comment

You have two small PCB on the left ( they are the power supply ) and a bigger PCB which is the main "motherboard".
                                      The first power supply in which you plug the electricity is an isolation transformer and the second one is the AC->DC transformer.
                                      I would just put the working motherboard you just bought on your old monitor, that the easiest and the only solution.

Personnaly I made the same move : I bought a 2048 with a defective LCD panel for 10 € but it was at least displaying something.
                                      I put the motherboard on my 2048 and at first it was working.
                                      ( Before that I could warm the old motherboard with a dryer and it would work ! )

The only problem after the exchange is that the monitor would switch off after a while.
                                      It was probably a power heating problem with the power supply I fixed not as good as necessary.

As I was not having the use of the 2048 anymore, I gave the two to a friend who swapped the power supply too and voila, it works again !
                                      Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to take it slow and no break anything. Removing the old motherboard from the dead monitor. This is the board with the 2 large heat syncs on it. Removed 4 flat head screws holding it down. Doesn't want to budge. Do I need to remove the hexagonal bolts securing DVI & VGA sockets to the socket plate? ie that also secure the plug/lead.

Comment

The hexagonal screw from VGA and DVI may probably not have to be unscrewed.
                                        (You can unscrew all by precaution)

But there at least is one screw on the HDMI port and 2 others on the cinch sounds block .
                                        Please look at this photo :
                                        https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Dell-24...-/123799118769

And if it doesn't move may be there reamains at least one screw...

Comment

The hexagonal screw from VGA and DVI may probably not have to be unscrewed.
                                          (You can unscrew all by precaution)

But there at least is one screw on the HDMI port and 2 others on the cinch sounds block .
                                          Please look at this photo :
                                          https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Dell-24...-/123799118769

And if it doesn't move may be there reamains at least one screw...
                                          Update - thanks again to nabla666 for the advice.

All worked out ok. Had to swap the main board ( 2 large heat syncs ) and the first smaller power board. I think I damaged that earlier. New combo screen works well. I also have a few spare parts ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                          X