Fixing a laboratory waterbath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fixing a laboratory waterbath

no idea how much free space is in the connector pass throughs on the board but maybe pinning through with single strands of wire might help .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
      no idea how much free space is in the connector pass throughs on the board but maybe pinning through with single strands of wire might help .
      I dont have anything that small. It looks like the inside has metal "tweezers" that hold the pin when inside and I dont want to deform them.

I m letting the board sit in 99% isopropanol overnight. Hopefully it s gonna dislodge whatever is in there. I suspect somebody in the lab spilled some sticky solution in there. I was also able to melt some solder where the holes are to make them smaller. The pins dont get in rhat easily but at least there is contact.

Now why did the car lamp start flickering when the LED board was on I dont know. Something grounded? The LED board barely has anything on it. I guess it might make it easier to solve.

Comment

The pin connection on the right hand side of the green looks like crap it appears to be flux from the picture if so re-solder them or is it just the way the picture was taken
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
          The pin connection on the right hand side of the green looks like crap it appears to be flux from the picture if so re-solder them or is it just the way the picture was taken
          It s not the way the picture looks. It was actually quite bad. Cleaned it off but havent reappplied solder yet.

Is the car lamp blinking for sure caused by a short to ground in the LED board if it only happens when it is connected?

Comment

If that car lamp glows very brightly, interpret it as if you just had to stick in another fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
              If that car lamp glows very brightly, interpret it as if you just had to stick in another fuse.
              It s not very bright. You can just see the filament warm up. And now that I think about it, it could just be blinking because of the constantly changing number on the LED which varies the power drawn.

Could it just be normal that the car light lights up slightly? I dont wanna look for an issue where there is none.

Comment

Yes it's fine for it to be dim. Don't worry about it, it's expected.

The sole alert is if that it glows brightly - it saved you from replacing another fuse.

Comment

While I try to figure out how to properly fix the connections between boards, can someone explain to me how the knob system works? In this case, the knob serves to pick a preset temperature.

Is the plastic knob supposed to have a circuit that touches the the metal parts of opposite sides to activate the circuit? I m just guessing here. I need to understand how it works to see hownit can be fixed.

The actual knob (not shown in this picture) goes into the white round thing on the top board of this picture.

Comment

That's about it, just selects different resistors...

Comment

That's about it, just selects different resistors...
                      Thank you. I was asking because the knob I have does not have any metal in it. I think I might have broken it while trying to remove it from the board and maybe the metal part got lost.

I think I m going to buy a new rotary switch. The one on the board works by creating a contact between the center golden circle and the outer golden metal. I d like to get a similar one. Is there a specific name for this?

If you have other suggestions to replace this switch let me know! Thank you

Comment

if you're inclined to look for the small metal piece lost, it probably looks like a bent leaf.

The unfortunate thing is that getting an exact match will be hard...mainly to fit in the board. Rotary select switch is pretty much is all you can look for, and it appears to be a 5 throw 2 pole (DP5T) rotary (of which it really just needs 1 pole but the original designer appears to have cheesed the switch to make it easier to route PCB tracks?) perhaps if you can't find the leaf it's easier to just hardwire it to the adjustable setting?

Comment

if you're inclined to look for the small metal piece lost, it probably looks like a bent leaf.

The unfortunate thing is that getting an exact match will be hard...mainly to fit in the board. Rotary select switch is pretty much is all you can look for, and it appears to be a 5 throw 2 pole (DP5T) rotary (of which it really just needs 1 pole but the original designer appears to have cheesed the switch to make it easier to route PCB tracks?) perhaps if you can't find the leaf it's easier to just hardwire it to the adjustable setting?
                          I didnt think of that! That would save me the trouble of looking for a proper rotary switch. I m gonna see if I can do that right now.
                          Last edited by vrasp; 06-17-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

How do I hardwire it? I thought I just had to wire the fifth outer pin (that corresponds to the manual temperature selection) to the inner pin (golden metal ring). Things started getting smoky and I turned it off immediately. The smoke came from one of the capacitors or the resistance next to it. I think I reacted quickly enough. If I have to replace it it's no big deal. However, I don't understand what pins to wire.

Basically, I did this:
                            Last edited by vrasp; 06-17-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

The capacitor is fine. It is the resistance that blew.

Are you able to see the lines? I can't tell what ohm this is.

Comment

go through your pictures to find a good close up of the resistor .

Comment

go through your pictures to find a good close up of the resistor .
                                  I did, it s really difficult to see.

The bands look like Red brown something (grey?) brown red. Of course the blown resistor had to be the one that is the least visible in the pictures.

Is there a trick to figure out the resistance of a blwon resistor before it blew?

Comment

tell us what it connects to ?

Comment

appears to be a kind of jumper... which could explain the need for 20V as there'll be a drop across this resistor to reduce heating of the regulator...

Comment

tell us what it connects to ?
                                        It's getting 20v AC from the transformer and on the output it goes to the bridge rectifier which goes to the voltage regulator.

appears to be a kind of jumper... which could explain the need for 20V as there'll be a drop across this resistor to reduce heating of the regulator...
                                        The voltage regulator is a 7812. If I am able to find out more or less how much current is in this circuit I can calculate the resistance needed to lower the voltage from the 18v of my toroidal transformer to about 13-15v. Is that a good approach? I could connect my multimeter in series to measure the current where the resistor was, and calculate a resistance that would drop the voltage by, let's say, 5v.

Comment

The resistor may still be good. Measure it.
                                          I don't understand why it smoked, sure you didn't short something else by mistake?

Comment

Working...
                                          X