X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you repurpose server PSUs for?

So far, I have repurposed server PSUs (all hot swap) for the following:
    • Portable multi-purpose test set with dual channel variable PSU
    • Variable frequency/voltage electrically isolated pure sinewave AC inverter
    • Low noise quad channel 0-600V DC PSU using UPS transformers with an inverter based on a trailing edge dimmer

If you have repurposed at least one server PSU, please let me know what your application is.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: What do you repurpose server PSUs for?

interesting list.
    most people just use them for car diagnostics or running radio transmitters.

Comment

Also for running car amps in a home setting with big car subwoofers.

Old vid, but this where I first saw it:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U__WjDU92Kk

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
        If you have repurposed at least one server PSU, please let me know what your application is.
        I have a pair of them (85A @ 12V -- 1000W) that I've stacked to form a 24V supply for an electric wheelbarrow (previously was an electric wheelchair so it goes forward/backward, left/right as well as "dumps" the load). As it never leaves the yard (and, thus, can always be within reach of a long extension cord), it's silly to put 75AHr batteries in the thing! (you usually have to modify the supplies to isolate GND from CHASSIS else you end up shorting one out when you stack them)

I know some folks use them to rapid charge batteries in RC aircraft.

I have several 2200W supplies that I'm waiting to find a use for. I may repurpose them for architectural lighting.

Comment

Working...
        X