This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello, I started fixing push bikes when I was a kid, moving onto motor bikes and then cars. I was very lucky to have friends who were apprenticing mechanics and engineers who shared lots with me. I apprenticed as a carpenter where I worked until my 30's when I got sucked back into full time education, eventually completing a full time Comp Sci degree. With a bit of an overlap of five years for funding. And so I then worked in IT for the next 25+ years. Hardware, software, databases, networking...a bit of a jack of all trades...but of course always because I wanted to. Loved it all, then was luckily enough to take an offer of redundancy which I also love. I spent a lot of intense years helping other people with their problems and now I have more time for mine. Though of course I did fit a lot of my own stuff in during that time as well

The other day, while investigating a motorised central heating valve (I know, don;t shouldn't fix it if it ain't broken, but...) when I managed to trip the main RCD. Anyway after finishing up I came downstairs to watch the news and sat in front of the telly, which had the sound on, and looked up to a blank screen. By the next day, along with youtube, I managed to strip the telly, isolate a blown(?) lcd which was left open and desoldered and bridged it using an old paint stripper heat gun - I was assuming it was a write off. Putting it back together I became somewhat downhearted as the lcd's lit up, before disappearing again within a second. Anyway once all back together it worked, what luck. (I'm guessing the lcd driver was shutdown by the control board because of no load or no signal maybe?) Half the lcds are out, though I'd checked they were all closed, and one bridged in a mega bodge - what a result I thought. And watching it now you'd never know it had any problems.

So, with a sudden interest in TV's, and plenty of time from lockdown, I nabbed a broken TV locally with vertical rainbow lines for another poject. I bought a cheap T-Con board off ebay thinking that was was the problem am waiting for a remote to be delivered from amazon tomorrow - as it's one button has limited functionality. Then I started reading about tab bonding problems...and so found myself here looking for more info. I'm thinking it might be a more in depth problem now but am looking forward to trying some more improvisation, shall we call it.

Looks like a wealth of experience and information and I'm hoping to use it to get it working. Before moving on to the proper work of laying new loft insulation, which arrived today.

Anyway, hello again and am looking forward to reading more of your posts...

Comment

Hello, I enjoy fixing things. I know a lot about electronics, but if I'm being honest, I just registered to have access to things on the forum

Comment

I have no idea what to say, I have this need to know how things work and if I don't know I'll spend eternity finding out! I have no real technical qualifications and knackered a lot of things with my lack of knowledge, but saying that I know more than my children do and I am their go to person when they can't sort out their phone, laptop, Xbox and surround sound so I must be doing something right! 😂 At the moment I'm trying to find out how to reset a administrator password on HP 840 G3....don't ask how I got to this... I'm nuts! 🥺

Comment

Well, i am 37 years of age. Been fixing things since computer processors were named with just three numbers e.g. 286, 386 ato. Now i need new wisdom, and it seems like this is the place.

Comment

Hi all,
            Im setya living in indonesian, i am 21 years, i like fixing electronics.
            Just registered to have acces for this forum.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hello, obviously I'm new here. But I'm wanting to learn how to fix my own stuff and that's why I'm here. Thank you all to for having me.

Comment

Hola soy un nuevo miembro

Comment

Hello all! I'm sure no one actually reads this, but anyway... Here I am.

Comment

Hello, my name is luthfi. I am from north sumatera, indonesia.
                    I am a student who like fixing things. I have learned to fix some basic problem of smartphone. Now i need to learn how to fix laptop problem. Indonesian forum doesn't give any much help. So i hope this forum will help me to learn fixing laptop problem.

Sorry for my bad english.

Comment

Hi from a wet and windy Isle of wight in the UK.
                      My names Martin and am retired so busyng myself with stuff I've always wanted to do!
                      Just started to get into video card repairs and found this useful forum.
                      Had a faulty Gigabyte GTX780ti given to me and have spotted a SMD capacior blown. No other visible damage so trying o identify the cap (marked C121) with a view to replacing it.
                      Thanks if anyone has any useful tips/advice/info
                      Cheers

Comment

Honestly I just registered to have access to things on the forum, but since I must introduce myself, female, 26 from Kentucky. I work in TV repair replacement part sales and joined here to teach myself some new things.

Comment

Hey guys, new to the forum and the threads but love all the information that's posted so far. Hoping to learn and contribute if possible. Name is massi from NYC. Thanks.

Comment

Hello guys! I do electronics and I like to fixing stuff instead of putting them into trash... I discovered this forum after unsuccessful attempts to remove the supervisor password of an old laptop of mine... Thank you for the support all of you are providing on these forum.

Comment

Hello from Northern Canada.

I'm not a TV tech but my father was until he retired 10 years ago. I have some CRT's that I'd like to get service info on before I pull him out of retirement to fix them. He still has drawers full of original Sony parts so I'm hoping to go digging through them.

Cheers!

Comment

Hola a todos soy nuevo y ando en paginas buscando ya sea como hacer un perfil para reballing para ps3 xbox 360 xbox one o ps4 realmente eh sacado perfiles pero algunos me funcionan para cierta consola y otro me sacan ampollas a los gpu :c

Comment

Hello, awesome information in the threads. I love fixing stuff...

Comment

Good day and hi from South Africa. I am joining this forum to try an d source a replacement motherboard for a JVC Smart TV. I am so frustrated with the companies selling these TV's that, when you need support from them, they tell you that they no longer support the product and can't find parts. So what frustrates me most is that I now sit with a prefecltly fine 65" Display with no issues, perfectly fine power supply etc. for this TV, but the Android part won't work. I did source a board from China with the exact same board specifications, but it seems that motherboard only works on 42" models... wish me luck in finding such a replacement board

Comment

Hi,

I am just a novice in electronics, but i love it....!!!!

I would like to learn about this world, but for that I will have to ask a lot, so be pacient with me.

I almost forget to say that I am no english native speaker. I am from Spain

Thanks

Comment

Hello, awesome information in the threads. I love fixing stuff...

Comment

Hey everyone,thanks in advance for all the questions I'm going to ask hehe! I've learned a lot already.
                                          TRushing

Comment

Working...
                                          X