Mackie CR4 monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mackie CR4 monitors

replace the diode and remove any other glue . i would first see if the glue has become conductive . i know some does do .

Comment

If the diode lead has been corroded off, my first suspect would be the caps closest to the diode leaked its acid electrolyte. What are the numbers on the diode? I see `41' I suspect it could be a 1N4741 (11v zener) or it might just be a regular diode

From looking at the board view, It looks like the other 2 zener diodes are for clamping the lower +/- voltage supplies, this one that is corroded seems to feed a seperate circuit, likely Q1/Q2 . Thats why the speaker still works but was noisy, Q1 & Q2 might be muting transistors?
      If q1 & q2 are connected to the amp ic's input pins I suspect that corroded diode is just used for muting the amp during power up.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by R_J; 07-04-2019, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I tested the glue with a multimeter for conductivity, nothing showed. I did, however, peel off what I could, as in some areas the glue easily flaked. But in the other areas it was way to hard and I was afraid not to tear the components it was glued on. The two little caps look normal, not bulging on either side. Plus, the position of the board is upright, the electrolyte could not have leaked towards the diode which is on its right. Just my guessing. :-)

By tracing the paths, I see that the broken diode was connected to one of the big resistors, which in turn comes from the AC power output of the transformer. Now, the label on the transformes says that it outputs 14V. Could the defective diode be the 0.5W 14V one, or 1N5244B?
        Last edited by UserXP; 07-05-2019, 03:23 AM.

Comment

I also found some interesting info on this page. But instructions are scarce, though there is some info on the incoming/outgoing voltages in the area:
          https://www.mikrocontroller.net/arti...paratur_Repair

Comment

Are there another 2 numbers on the other side of the diode in your picture? If two of the numbers are 41 it can't be 1N5244b It might just be a 1N4147 glass diode.
            Did you look at the picture of the board, I traced out the voltage path for the +/- voltages and that broken diode is not part of that circuit even though one side is connected to the (-) voltage supply.

Your transformer will have 3 wires from it 14vac-center tap-14vac. the center tap connects to gound and each of the other two wires connect to the bridge rectifier ~ and ~.
            the output from the + of the bridge (reference to ground) will be 14v x 1.414 = +20vDC and and the - of the bridge will have -20vDC

The +- 20 volts supplies the TDA7265 output ic. each supply then pass through one of the large resistors and is clamped at + or - 12 voltsdc by Z3 and Z4 to supply the rest of the circuit. Your broken diode is NOT part of that circuit. your broken diode is part of the voltage monitor circuit
            If you follow Q2 collector you will see it is connected to pin 5 of the tda7265 which is the MUTE pin.
            Last edited by R_J; 07-05-2019, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Yes, it traces towards the circuitry in the right corner of the PCB in that area. Interestingly, I clearly remember that mute worked when headphones are plugged in (I tried that when troubleshooting to see if the crackling noise wil be heard on the headphones as well, and it was).

I can't make out if there are any other markings on the diode, it broke in such a way that the whole negative end is completely missing together with some additional glass in its vicinity. I can see some black remnants of what may have been an additional number, but I cannot read it, it's too incomplete.

I would like to first replace that diode with a correct one to see what will happen. It may not remove the crackling sound, but it would be a start.
              Should I go for the 1N4147?

Comment

I suspect when you plug in the headphones it just disconnects the speakers, as the output ic is still needed to drive the headphones.
                This circuit is likely used to to keep the amp ic MUTED when you first turn on the switch, so you dont get a large POP in the speakers when you first turn on the power switch.
                What is the diodes board designation? is Z? or just D? It could be a zener or it could be a regular diode.

I suspect it is a zener (11v) and once the -12v supply is at 12 volts, the diode conducts and un-mutes the amp. if the voltage on the -12v supply is less than 11v the diode does not conduct keeping the amp muted. the crackling noise could have been caused by the diode injecting noise into the mute circuit, or it could be caused by one of those caps in that circuit that is bad (dryed out but looks ok)

Have you tried the amp with the diode removed from the circuit? and if you did, is the crackling still there?
                Last edited by R_J; 07-05-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks, R_J.
                  No, I didn't try to turn it on without this diode, I didn't know what could happen or if it could cause another damage. Is it safe to do so?

All the glass diodes are marked with Z(number) on the board. This one is Z5, I managed to peel of some of the black gunk because it was covering the markings.
                  The "pop" sound was never present when turning the speakers on. I really wander how it all worked like that with this blown diode.

OK, so we have the most evidence that it is an 11V zener diode?
                  Last edited by UserXP; 07-05-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Why not a more common 1N4148 ?

To me, that blacked PCB it's way more worrying. I'd say it's carbonized around the diode and will be conductive. You'll need to scrape away any carbonized parts of the PCB before attempting repair.

Comment

I would leave that pc board alone, It's not going to conduct anything at 12 volts, I have seen a lot worse. I would resolder the two large resistors and the two zener diodes, and either check the caps in that circuit or just replace them. The diode could very well be an ordanary 1N4148 It is hard to guess wthout any more numbers than 41 and without seeing the actual circuit. What is the board designation?????? is it D1
                      As for trying it without the diode, well it was'nt connected before so the amp should work.
                      Last edited by R_J; 07-05-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Guys, I managed to find this picture labelled as an extract from the Mackie CR3 schematics. The CR3 and CR4 models share the same board, so this should apply.
                        Here it says that the blown diode next to the R77 really is a 1N4148. There are other marked components in its vicinity which seem to match their physical layout on the PCB itself, if I'm not mistaken. Can this schematics extract help?

But, I couldn't fing anything about these "Cap-Top" capacitors. They don't seem to have their webpage, not a word about their series, nothing. Maybe they are some industrial capacitors produced by the very factory that assembles the PCB for the speakers. Without those data, choosing the replacement capacitors will not be an easy guess.

Thank you all for participating, I really appreciate your help. Hopefully we'll manage to restore the speakers to their former glory.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by UserXP; 07-05-2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I would'nt worry about series etc. just replace the caps with some good quality caps. Some people like to worry too much about .0001mohm esr difference etc. when in reality it does'nt make that much difference and its not a switching/high frequency power supply

Comment

Well, here is an update: I bought the 1N4148 diode, soldered it in place and solder-refreshed the joints of some surrounding components where the blackened area of the board is. I assembled the speaker and it works for now, no crackling noises so far. Maybe removing the rust and glue residue also helped. I will continue to monitor the monitors to see if they are really fixed.
                            Thanks everyone for helping me out. It still remains to be seen whether this has worked or not.
                            Maybe someone else could find this thread and the experience with these CR4s useful. :-)

Comment

i had issues with mine in my studio when i first bought a set lasted about 9mnths, then did exactly the same turned out caps that diode, i removed glue had exactly the same issue,

i then moved onto M-AUDIO BX8 loads better,, better made cicruit than mackie, as mackie are over priced for what they do,

Comment

Thanks for that input. Mine were on whole day yesterday, no signs of any unwanted noise so far.
                                But I agree with you, I like the looks of Mackies, the driver provides very good sound - but the electronic part appears to be poorly made for the price.

Comment

Hi, people.
                                  I have a hypothetical question, I'm hoping to hear your thoughts.

Since these monitors use a dual 14A, 1.2A power transformer, which produces a lot of heat, which in turn is generally bad for the onboard electronics, would it be feasible to:

- remove it from the active speaker;
                                  - remove the power cable and use its existing opening to mount a power plug;
                                  - use an external 14V AC power transformer and plug it into the plug to power the active speaker?

Would this mod be sufficient to supply both +14V rails with an external power adaptor of, let's say, 2A current on its single 14V AC output? The bridge rectifier on the monitors PCB could be used to make that power DC. Would it be possible to split a single +14V rail to supply both +14V connections on the PCB (the three pin connector with red-black-red wires). If so, perhaps it would dramatically reduce the heat within the powered speaker and thus prolong its life and/or avoid further misbehaviour thereof. What do you think?
                                  Last edited by UserXP; 07-12-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

You would need a center taped transformer. The transformer output is 14vac - Common - 14vac
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by R_J; 07-12-2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

complete supply outside would be better than just the transformer alone
                                      only problem might be is from extended wiring needed .
                                      Last edited by petehall347; 07-12-2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input.
                                        Well, I even considered buying a ready-made 14V power supply, similar to those powering cordless phones, laptops, printers and alike. I would like it to be a respectable manufacturer and one that will not go super hot like the current one (although just being outside of the enclosed case will surely lower its temperature). The idea would be to take out the power cable and use its circular opening on the back plate of the active speaker to mount a coresponding jack there and connect it to the corresponding points on the PCB.
                                        The only concern is what rating of such an external power supply should I go for, 14V, 1 or 2 amps?
                                        Last edited by UserXP; 07-13-2019, 01:38 AM.

Comment

needs to be a dual supply .

Comment

Working...
                                          X