Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitachi 55" TV dead after 18 months (Vestel 17MB100)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitachi 55" TV dead after 18 months (Vestel 17MB100)

I couldn't find any other thread that matches my TV problem but have been told it is a common fault. The fault is a flashing LED as if it is in upgrade mode that happens after a few seconds and stays forever. I can't remember all the tricks that have been tried like holding the select button when powering on but nothing worked. The shop sent me a flash drive to plug in a USB port but that did nothing either and they said it was dead which is disgusting for a piece of solid state electronics. I took the back off eventually after removing 34 screws to check for blown caps but everything looks new as you would expect for only 18 months use. The board is a Vestel 17MB100 and I think it died when it was doing an upgrade because the TV screen came up then it checked for an upgrade turned off the screen and stayed with the flashing LED for over half an hour.
    I have some questions to start.
    1) Is the flash drive meant to be bootable (mine isn't) or just a bunch of files?
    2) Can a serial lead be plugged in to see a boot up log like some other TVs?
    3) Any ideas on how to fix it or find out what is wrong?

Re: Hitachi 55" TV dead after 18 months

Your tv its probably a vestel. You need to flash the correct firmware for your tv using a usb stick. You just throw a bunch of files into the usb stick, a working remote control and you are good to go. A blinking led light dosent necessarily mean that its a bad firmware, but a firmware update solves the problem 90% of the time.

Comment

normally first format drive as fat 32 . but that should have been done .

Comment

I have a USB from Hitachi with the appropriate files that reads on a computer. When they first sent me the USB I tried it in both USB ports and held the Button on the back of the TV but it didn't change the LED blinking.
        It is still the same now but with the back of the TV off I can hear a faint hiss from the power supply that seems to tick as if the switching part of the PSU is on is this normal? I would have thought the standby or even flashing LED wouldn't start any of the heavy supply running or is the blinking LED state a turned on PSU state?
        Last edited by Ruptor; 09-27-2021, 04:32 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

If it is Vestel:
          1. format a stick (preferably 4-8 Gb) with FAT32
          2. unzip and put the files directly on the stick
          3. Unplug the TV
          4. insert the stick in the tv. Preferably usb next to CI card
          5. press and hold the OK key on the remote control
          6. Plug in the TV.
          7. The left LED on the TV will flash slowly at first and, after a few seconds, faster
          8. release the ok key
          9. wait for it to finish. It can take 3-10 minutes

Comment

Re: Hitachi 55" TV dead after 18 months (Vestel 17MB100)

I tried that with the remote OK instead of the button on the back of the TV but no change. The flash drive sent to me by Hitachi with appropriate files looks like the picture. Any more suggestions?
            Attached Files

Comment

Try a smaller capacity usb drive (2.0). Format the usb stick and copy paste 5 files.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky29 View Post
                Try a smaller capacity usb drive (2.0). Format the usb stick and copy paste 5 files.
                I can try and fudge a smaller capacity SD card in a USB adapter but why would Hitachi send me a USB stick that wouldn't work because it is too big for their TV?

Comment

Hold down the OK key for a longer time. It can take up to 1 minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruptor View Post
                    I can try and fudge a smaller capacity SD card in a USB adapter but why would Hitachi send me a USB stick that wouldn't work because it is too big for their TV?
                    My bad, I thought Hitachi sent you the files and not the usb stick. Try holding ok for a bit longer or keep pressing ok button repeatedly.

If it dosen't take firmware then it might be a hardware problem or a problem that can't be solved just with a usb stick.

Comment

I thought Hitachi sent you the files and not the usb stick. Try holding ok for a bit longer or keep pressing ok button repeatedly.
                      I held the OK button & the button on the back of the TV for 2.5 minutes but no change. I just found a 2 GB SD card I can use but won't bother given your last post. Pressing the button lots of time made no difference either.
                      What about the faint hissing and ticking coming from the PSU does that point to any thing? In this LED flashing mode should the PSU be fully on?

Comment

Probably a mainboard (firmware) related issue that can't be solved using the usb so you might need further help from a technician. You might need to reprogram or replace the emmc, but you never know, its not that easy diagnosing through a forum.So I don't know about faint hissing but I think its constantly trying to start up the mainboard.Your best bet is to get it fixing under warranty but I guess your warranty is voided becouse you already opened the back, but you can give hitachi a call and ask them.
                        Your tv model maybe 55HK6T64U or 55HGW69; so I checked for a mainboard replacement but I might need more info to get you the correct replacement, otherwise get a board and then update the firmware sent from hitachi.

Comment

Your best bet is to get it fixing under warranty but I guess your warranty is voided becouse you already opened the back, but you can give hitachi a call and ask them.
                          Our TV is 55HK6T64U and had a 1 year warranty that is why they said buy a new one when the USB stick didn't fix it. Can you point me to a circuit diagram of the PSU that I can replace parts on if it is faulty and any information on the Vestel CPU board? I found a manual that appears to cover a lot of boards but it jumps from 95 to 130 with no mention of my 100 board that seems to be an oddball.

Comment

Service manual hitachi 55hk6t64u
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                              Service manual hitachi 55hk6t64u
                              Thanks a lot I have a chance of finding where the fault is now. I will report my findings and solution if one is available.

Comment

It must be a faulty mainboard not a faulty PSU.

Comment

get a board and then update the firmware sent from hitachi.
                                  If a board is 17MB100 and it looks the same as mine can I use my Hitachi USB and change it for my TV?
                                  My Main Board 23348885
                                  New Main Board 23306084

Comment

If a board is 17MB100 and it looks the same as mine can I use my Hitachi USB and change it for my TV?
                                    My Main Board 23348885
                                    New Main Board 23306084
                                    They look the same but the screen is different. The image might be ok or it might be flipped, solarized.You never gonna know until you try.

Probably even the remote might be different. You might need to flash the firmware from Hitachi again but you need a toshiba remote control to flash it.

There are few listings for your board on ebay...

Comment

Our TV is 55HK6T64U and had a 1 year warranty that is why they said buy a new one when the USB stick didn't fix it. Can you point me to a circuit diagram of the PSU that I can replace parts on if it is faulty and any information on the Vestel CPU board? I found a manual that appears to cover a lot of boards but it jumps from 95 to 130 with no mention of my 100 board that seems to be an oddball.
                                      Did you buy it using a credit card? Some credit cards will double the factory warranty if purchased through them.

Comment

Originally posted by Spitz View Post
                                        Did you buy it using a credit card? Some credit cards will double the factory warranty if purchased through them.
                                        Yes maybe but it failed over 9 months ago and I was so disgusted with it I put it out of sight to stop me from smashing it up.

Comment

Working...
                                        X