• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can a Bestec be made good?

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    I meant that they work or dont. Theres no sort of working with capacitors
    That isn't true either.
    Most caps fail gradually over a period of time.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Let me rephrase what i meant: a bulged cap is as bad as a leaking cap

Comment

Third time's the charm!
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Lol yeah im not real good at explIning stuff esp when i am usingan iphone and want ro make my message as short as possible

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            Any bestec that has a model of ATX-xxx-12E (xxx=wattage) has the 5vsb.
            You're right, they all have 5vsb - it is the ATX standard after all .
            Stupid jokes aside, only the Bestec ATX-250 12E (and only that model) has the 2-transistor "mobo killer" 5vsb circuit. I think Everell and Severach did a pretty extensive research on that one.

Comment

The Bestec ATX-250 12E is a GREAT power supply. I am still using one in one of my computers. The original 5vsb circuit has some design problems, but adding a small pc board with DM311 pwm chip takes care of that problem. Any glue that has turned brown or black must be removed (because it becomes conductive). And of course, the cheapo capacitors should be replaced. Best of all, you can install a fan on the back side of the power supply case, remove resistor R102, then install fan wires where R102 was. (If fan is too noisy just add a little series resistance in one of the fan leads) When computer is off but plugged into the wall outlet, the added fan will keep everything cool. When you power up the computer, the added fan shuts down and the original fan comes on and continues cooling the power supply. So don't say too many bad words about this really neat power supply!
              Attached Files
              Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

very impressive! i love it when someone takes a compromised design and turns it into something decent keep up the good work!
                My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Nice job! Did you cut out where the fan is? I suggest you do becuase if the fan has the shove the air thorugjt the little vent slits in the psu casing there will be more noise and lower airflow

Comment

I used a nibbler tool to cut out a big hole before mounting the fan. Lots of air flow!
                    Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Just chiming in here, I decided to disassemble my 2004 emachine, I don't have the specs with me right here ATM. But it has slowly become slower from what I think it should be. Loading google . com in chrome takes about 30-45 seconds.

I took it all apart and air canned the electronics and washed the plastic parts. It was extremely gross. It has a 300W PSU but again, I didnt think to get a pic. All I took a pic of was the MOBO. The Bestec 300W PSU looked fine. I did notice the CapXon 2 large caps and most of the rest were Jamicon and some black/yellow ones, which looked like a brand I have seen at Radio Shack, looked like it was a 'L' something.

This computer has been running for 10 years and of that time, I would leave it running in sleep mode or standby when I wasnt using it, I rarely shut it down. The glue has turned orange brownish. It is hard to tell how the caps are under the bundle of wires coming out of the corner.

Just wondering if the clumps of dust is making the computer slower?
                      Everything looking fine with the PSU does that mean it is good? It boots up fine and runs

side note, I saw some Sanyo caps on mobo, and they looked odd, it seemed like the caps were about to pop or the stress lines are deeper and more pronounced than say Rubycon. Sanyos were of a 'K' style also.

Comment

start a new thread wih lots of foto's

Comment

Working...
                        X