resale value nosedived .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: resale value nosedived .

And this folks, this right here is the reason why reselling these older TV's are becoming a PITA!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Changhong-40...item43c8da4a1f

I cannot compete with that, I have a nice 40" Sammy 1080p LCD up for 175 from 2009, just a few more bucks and a buyer can get this LED!

ugh....

Majority of today's buyers market just want cheap and do not give one crap about quality as long as it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinju View Post
      And this folks, this right here is the reason why reselling these older TV's are becoming a PITA!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Changhong-40...item43c8da4a1f

I cannot compete with that, I have a nice 40" Sammy 1080p LCD up for 175 from 2009, just a few more bucks and a buyer can get this LED!

ugh....

Majority of today's buyers market just want cheap and do not give one crap about quality as long as it works.
      Over 3000 sold wow!! I wouldn't buy a TV with out viewing it in person, especially a no name brand like this one. Some people have money to throw away.

I wouldn't let "a sale" like that keep me from buying and selling in the used TV market. Brands like eTEC, APEX, Broksonic, Coby,and other no name brands I wouldn't buy them broken. You couldn't give them to me !!

Comment

Oh its not keeping me from tinkering/selling its just insane how cheap these panels are getting.

Oh well!

Comment

My philosophy of TV buying has changed since I bought my first 1080P set in 2006m back when they were still new technology. I paid $1000 for a 37" Westinghouse monitor to use with Autocad, that brand would be considered the equivalent of Changhong now. I fully expected it to die at any second while using it for my consulting business, but it continued to work fine. 4 years later I bought a Samsung CFL backlit set for my living room, figuring I'd go upscale with a known brand and wouldn't have to worry about it going bad for a long time. End result is this: after 3 years of very light usage, the Samsung is getting ready for the landfill because of backlight problems, the 8 year old Westinghouse is still going strong after at least 15000 hours of use. Never expected that.

Here's the other thing, if I was to buy a Changhong, Seiki, or equivalent, I would go to Costco and get a Square Trade 4 year warranty for $39 and hope it lasted through the manufacturers 1 year coverage. Chances are good Square Trade would just refund the purchase price once they took over rather than repair a $380 TV. I'm VERY reluctant to spend more than $400 for ANY brand right now.

Comment

The first couple of years Westinghouse was active their panels were made with top shelf parts. I sold a 2006 40" 1080p Westy all it needed was a soldier joint reflowed and after 20k hours it still looked great. It used DVI inputs no HDMI yet but no matter it still is going strong.

These off brands are probably made by the big house panel makers anyway, Armtran/LG Samsung ect.

Comment

Resale value? At this point it doesn't even exist. I have a 46" Samsung listed for $250, with a wall mount (no base). Someone just offered me $150, claiming he could get a new 40" at Walmart for $120. I'm not competing with Black Friday, I can wait until Walmart runs out of stock.
              ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

I think the black friday !@#$ is even worse with other electronics items. I was set to sell this soundbar set I got very cheap early last summer. Finally tested it, and listed on scambay. After shaving down the price for about a week, bestbuy comes in new with "limited quantity" and sells for $50 less than the lowest going price for the item USED. Plus, free shipping. This item is way heavy and expensive to ship and difficult to pack (if not NIB). You can't win against them. At least not now....

Comment

I think the big stores actually undersell their electronics, and other stuff, on Black Friday. They probably take a small loss on the item, but more than make up for it in impulse sales. And it clears out all their old stock so they can make room for the new stuff.

Comment

Agreed. And we all know the so called "black Friday" crap on sale are usually bottom of the barrel tvs that take a dump 6 months later.
                    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Was wondering if you'd be joining the discussion. I can only imagine what the picture looks like on a 40" $120 TV.

Comment

I'm selling a 42" Vizio plasma tomorrow for $150. That's cheap and it's a great picture. But, it's 6 years old. That's the first question asked usually. In no particular order, it's always: Is it a smart TV? How old is it? And, is it 1080p? Most of them don't even know what 1080p is. But they want it. I still part out a lot of good TVs. But I sell the ones which aren't worth parting out. I'm seeing 20 or 30 TVs a month now that I'm in all these selling groups on Facebook. Mostly broken screens.

Comment

man I remember four years ago and I sold a 480 P gateway plasma for 300 bucks. that sucker was built really well like a tank.Now that the markets been infiltrated with super cheap LED TVs made by these companies that compromise quality for quantity. I get quite a few calls on these cheap TVs burning up in 6 months from people that opted out of the warranty. And usually they are not repairable panel problems or something in the power supply took out the main board and the t-con Board and its just not worth repairing. Crazy
                          Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Black friday dealt a big blow to my sales & enquiries. I noticed they picked up considerably afterwards though, I guess people got disappointed when the stores ran out. They had 40" 1080p LED TVs for £139, I can't compete with that.

So many time wasters today, text like 3-4 times and then never reply, some say they'll come after work but never do, etc. It's really pissing me off. I don't know why it's particularly bad this month. Maybe it's harder to sell TVs around Xmas, it sure seems like it.
                            Last edited by tom66; 11-29-2014, 11:47 AM.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I don't think used TVs/electronics make good christmas gifts, so that's probably the issue you're facing.

The average person looking for a cheap TV and they compare craigslist with Walmart.com or whatever won't know the difference between a new crap TV and an old better quality TV except that the only one will be heavier, thicker, not "smart", and not ave these things called "HDMI" and "LED" and "120Hz" and whatever else is on the box on these new TVs.
                              Last edited by shovenose; 11-29-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Most of the old ones I've encountered do have HDMI. Just not 3 or 4 of them. I don't usually mess with anything prior to 2007 though. I'd agree that people would want new electronics as gifts. When I was growing up, I'd have loved a used TV as a gift. Times have changed. We live in a world where everyone is spoiled.

Comment

Last year it was the same, then in January and February, I have picked up a couple of TVs.
                                  We have to take a brake this holiday season with the TV business.
                                  In general is super slow. I'm not pushing anymore. If I see something worth while I will pick it up, but I take it easy from now on.
                                  We need to repair all kind of electronics, I'm already repairing home theater receivers, Kenwood navigation units, sometime a car amp.
                                  I have picked up a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 with backlight problem, it was a loose ribbon cable. Reinserted it, put some tape over it(which it wasn't there originally, most likely the culprit) and it's working great.

Comment

It is a time of year where people don't want to spend ANY money. as mentioned before, its about quantity, not quality anymore. 'yay! more boxes to open than last year'

I work in the car business at a dealership selling car parts and occasional wrenching. We are slow too. But just wait until people get their tax returns and start blowing their money. No black friday sales then.

Comment

Have you guys noticed that everybody exaggerates the size of their TV? A 32" becomes a 37", a 42" becomes a 45",47” becomes a 50", 52" becomes a 55", etc. They start by boasting about the size of the TV, exaggerating so they can make people believe they have something better than their friends. Then a few years go by, and they believe their own lie. I had a woman arguing with me about a 46" Apex which she swore was a 48". I said, aside from the fact that I can tell the size of most TVs from the model number, the picture you sent me, of the label on the back of the TV, clearly says 46" on it.

Comment

you all will probably not like what I have to say then. Being kinda new to all this I figured that since I didn't know alot about resale value I would start small. So I put an ad out in various places that I would buy ANY flat panel TV for $5. If the screen was broke than I would harvest the parts. This actually worked great for a while. Making sure the boards worked and selling them or using the caps/diodes/etc. for other projects. But then I started to get some TVs in that were "just not working". Switched a couple caps/fuses and had me a nice TV. Now here it is...I sell cheap. I have $5-15 inmost TVs I offer for sale. So if I get $60-75 than I made a nice little profit in about 1-2 days. And boy do the TVs keep coming in. Maybe I shouldn't divulge my tactics. I might get shunned. Not to mention that if a friend or family member ever need a TV it is a very quick sale. Or since its only $15 then I can give out TVs. My best friend recently moved and had to leave her stuff behind. Guess who she came to buy a TV. Of course I gave it to her. 37" Magnavox (2009? i think) that I had $17.34 into. But I understand the woes of a market especially when you remeber the good ol' days. I was REALLY into baseball cards back in the day.
                                        Doing this on the side to make some extra money for my daughters dance competition.

Comment

I'm not mad at ya. You're in a completely different area than me. Just stay there. Lol

Here's my current pricing schedule for broken screens, and most dead sets as well. I used to ask for the model numbers and estimate each TV individually. It just seemed like it was too much to ask of people, to send the model number. This current way, I get around 30+ a month. Maybe 5% I barely break even on, but I make it up in the other 95%.

32” to 36” - paying $35
                                          37” to 42” - paying $45
                                          43” to 49” - paying $55
                                          50” and above - paying $65

Please tell me where you can get them all day for $5.

Comment

Working...
                                          X