3300uf 6.3v for xbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3300uf 6.3v for xbox

Seems like this brown cap all the way on the left corner is in parallel with the other two caps I replaced on the lower right side. Is that possible being they are so far away?

https://prnt.sc/uabe84
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Ryzen 3600x
    16GB Patriot 3600MHz
    MSI B450 Gaming Plus
    MSI Air Boost Vega 56
    Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
    Rosewill Capstone 750W
    Hakko FX-888D Station
    FX-8802 Iron
    MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

yes, the caps are often placed close to the chips that consume the most power.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        yes, the caps are often placed close to the chips that consume the most power.
        I mean, I have never seen it before where a cap is in parallel with caps far away on the board. Continuity with the positive lead determines that right?
        Last edited by jayjr1105; 09-02-2020, 10:47 AM.
        Ryzen 3600x
        16GB Patriot 3600MHz
        MSI B450 Gaming Plus
        MSI Air Boost Vega 56
        Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
        Rosewill Capstone 750W
        Hakko FX-888D Station
        FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
          I mean, I have never seen it before where a cap is in parallel with caps far away on the board. Continuity with the positive lead determines that right?
          Correct.

It's actually very common for the voltage rails from the power supply to run all across the board and have parallel caps everywhere where there is high-power consumption, as stj noted. Those brown caps in particular supply that you pointed out appear to supply the VRMs. So it's normal what you see.

Comment

Placing caps close to varying and pulsing loads decreases the trace resistance and inductance between the load and the energy stored in the capacitor. With ICs with very fast high magnitude load transients there often is a network of capacitors of different value and type, some that are very low ESR and ESL but low capacity to respond fast, some that are higher in capacity but also higher ESL to handle what the faster lower capacity caps could not handle. Sun Microsystems was doing this in the mid 1990s.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Great, thanks for those explanations. My final question is, should I replace that final 3300uf brown cap with a 2200uf to match the other two? Remember I replaced the bottom right one AND populated that empty cap spot with two 2200uf 10v Panasonic FM's. A third Panasonic 2200uf on the left side would complete the original 6600uf total capacitance.

Last edited by jayjr1105; 09-02-2020, 01:29 PM.
              Ryzen 3600x
              16GB Patriot 3600MHz
              MSI B450 Gaming Plus
              MSI Air Boost Vega 56
              Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
              Rosewill Capstone 750W
              Hakko FX-888D Station
              FX-8802 Iron

Comment

no, because your decreasing the cap value.
                if you replace a 3300uf cap, use a 3300uf cap or use a 2000uf polymer.

if the circuit didnt need 3300uf them M$ wouldnt have paid for one.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  if you search the forum i'v done a number of posts about this subject and how to upgrade to polymer caps
                  did u notice any difference in performance when upgrading to polymer caps?

Comment

Originally posted by bulkchart32 View Post
                    did u notice any difference in performance when upgrading to polymer caps?
                    Caps either do their job or don't. You won't see any differences unless you hook it up to a scope maybe.
                    Ryzen 3600x
                    16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                    MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                    MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                    Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                    Rosewill Capstone 750W
                    Hakko FX-888D Station
                    FX-8802 Iron

Comment

well it doesnt crash - so the polymers work

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                        Caps either do their job or don't. You won't see any differences unless you hook it up to a scope maybe.
                        so high quality caps won't reduce the amount of frame drops while playing a stressful game?

Comment

framedrop is because the hardware is pushed to the limit.

Comment

If you don't go the polymer route, I've concluded that these are best cheap option for 1.0-1.4 xbox's.
                            https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...332MHD/2598225

And these for 1.6 models since they are closer together and you should go with 10mm wide caps
                            https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...C10X25/6049998

Yes 27mm height is acceptable on the right side of the board, just not under the optical drive.

Both caps are very low (not quite ultra low) ESR and have adequate ripple current.
                            Ryzen 3600x
                            16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                            MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                            MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                            Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                            Rosewill Capstone 750W
                            Hakko FX-888D Station
                            FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Hi, I was looking information about the following:

I have an xbox 1.0, that has 5x 1500uf caps and I am wondering if can I change those by 3 x 3300uf caps? Would it be safe for the console?

Comment

yes, but using 5 polymers is better.
                                and the 3300uf caps are tall - so dont put one in the way of the heatsink clip

Comment

Thank you for the quick answer @stj

I don't have many options to buy replacement components, I can only work with things in Amazon, because I live outside US and I want to fix my xbox soon.

Maybe I can order the polymer capacitors for the future, so I can replace them some months in the forward, should I use the same specs 1500uf 6.3v and 3300uf 6.3v (I have 1.0 - 1.6 xboxes)?

Comment

find my thread about fitting polymers - it has lots of links to aliexpress.

Comment

Working...
                                    X