Lenovo Edge E531 boot option vanished in bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo Edge E531 boot option vanished in bios

Hi i have a Lenovo Edge E531 with a CPU 2.2GHz (Intel core i7-3632QM) with firmware HEET35WW (1.16) upgraded with Win 10 OS.

Have a issue that my boot menu vanished in bios.
    When trying to boot system, screen is just black.
    If trying to press F12 at startup the screen is black and all one can see is a blue marker blinking up in the left corner of the screen.

I have tried loading setup default in BIOS, this did not help.
    I have tried removing, battery and bios battery and connected both batterys back and then booting system again. but this did not resolve the issue.

Read somewhere that this could somethimes happen with Win 10 removing something from Bios/UEFI?
    Solution as i understand was to try to reflash the bios, but as i cant get it to boot on a bootable USB-stick/DVD and not booting the harddive its not possible the ordenary way.

So i figured i get my self a CH341A SPI-Programmer.
    Problem is that i dont know what chip i should try to connect it to on the motherboard or where it located.
    Found a picture of showing a chip, that i guess is the Bios chip?
    But as the dumpes on this page have two or more bin files i am wondring if there are more chips top flash and what files i should flash to what chip?

Please could some one give me some directions and tell me if this is the correct Bios chip and what file to flash to this chip?

This is the picture i found that was to tell where the bios chip is located... (Found it at https://www.all****)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-14-2022, 02:48 PM.

Re: Lenovo Edge E531 boot option vanished in bios

Originally posted by Minime_2003 View Post
    Please could some one give me some directions and tell me if this is the correct Bios chip and what file to flash to this chip?

This is the picture i found that was to tell where the bios chip is located... (Found it at https://www.alls******)
    That isn`t the bios chip, it is where the password is stored. There could be 1 or 2 bios chips ,not sure.Look for 25Q32 ,25Q64 etched on top. Make multiple backups and check them to make sure each backup is the same and has some code in them,not all FF`s ,then post your backups here in a zip or rar attachment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...40&postcount=2
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-14-2022, 02:51 PM.
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thank you, i will look in to that and see what i can find.

Comment

Hi so i have found a chip on top of the board near by the CPU.
        Marked "25Q64F VSIG" Dumped two files and this is what i got.
        Attached Files

Comment

So i managed to figure out that the "25Q64F" chip seems to be some kind of backup, when reading this file its the same size as the "*PCH.bin" file.
          Tried flashing this and assabled the laptop, but when checking the bios it was not updated.
          Looked at the motherboard schematics and saw that the chip i found was on U5 on the motherboard. There was supposed to be a "25Q32" chip next to it on U6.
          But this was a "cFeon" chip? According to the schematics this was to be the bios chip.
          So i dumped this chip and flashed this with the "*main.bin" file as the dumpfile that i made was the same size.
          Assabled the laptop again and booted it and entered the bios.
          Finally The bios was updated and also fixed the issue with the missing startup option in bios menu...Sweet!
          Thanks for all the help and great guides.
          Last edited by Minime_2003; 10-04-2022, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X