This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Well, mine sums up to about $437 new, so, guess I got a good deal. Needs a remote tho, but otherwise, it's interesting to use a 40" LCD TV as a 1080p monitor. Might as well remake my setup to have wireless KB and mouse so I can enjoy sitting on the couch and playing PS3 and PC.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Back with two more free scores. 2x HP DV9000s. One is Intel/GF8600M GS 256M based, the other one is a AMD, though not sure if it's a Athlon or Turion.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

probably turion - mobile athlon is rare.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          probably turion - mobile athlon is rare.
          I've seen some Acer 5520 sport a Athlon 64 X2 Mobile. I even have a few mobile Athlon chips, the best being a TK-57.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

x2 is turion class - socket S1 afaik - sake as the TL series processors.

Comment

Given an Acer 720 Celeron dualcore 2gb/16gb Chromebook that even google doesn't support anymore. After hacking up the firmware a bit it now supports UEFI booting (Win8+ or Linux). Mint runs nice on it all things considered. I wasted more time on this than its worth...but atleast its completely usable & can be updated indefinitely into the future now...not headed to the shredder/landfill.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                x2 is turion class - socket S1 afaik - sake as the TL series processors.
                S1G1 has Athlon 64 X2s as well. Look up the TK-5x series.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD...K57HAX4DM.html
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

JVC S-3600U. It got stuck in S-VHS mode and then the motor driver IC for the video head died. Out of service indefinitely.
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                    JVC S-3600U. It got stuck in S-VHS mode and then the motor driver IC for the video head died. Out of service indefinitely.
                    I have a nearly identical S-VHS unit (HR-S3901U, one model number off)... If you're not planning on fixing it, let me know (spare parts?).
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      I have a nearly identical S-VHS unit (HR-S3901U, one model number off)... If you're not planning on fixing it, let me know (spare parts?).
                      I hope to get a new driver IC or replace the whole circuit board that mounts on top of the video head. Maybe PM for further discussion about this?
                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        Given an Acer 720 Celeron dualcore 2gb/16gb Chromebook that even google doesn't support anymore. After hacking up the firmware a bit it now supports UEFI booting (Win8+ or Linux). Mint runs nice on it all things considered. I wasted more time on this than its worth...but atleast its completely usable & can be updated indefinitely into the future now...not headed to the shredder/landfill.
                        ha, same thing for me last month got a free c720 with only 2gb maxes out at chrome 76, it came with a bloated battery so I replaced it. long story short they will not charge the battery with bottom of the case off as it has a switch that opens when the bottom is off, that was a very time consuming mistake on my part. also Iam sure you found it weird how they had long cables connecting some remote electrolytic caps.
                        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                          ha, same thing for me last month got a free c720 with only 2gb maxes out at chrome 76, it came with a bloated battery so I replaced it. long story short they will not charge the battery with bottom of the case off as it has a switch that opens when the bottom is off, that was a very time consuming mistake on my part. also Iam sure you found it weird how they had long cables connecting some remote electrolytic caps.
                          Where is this switch? Mine doesn't charge either, but I put the bottom back on and no screws are missing. The bottom had to be removed to hack the firmware (you have to remove a screw to make the BIOS ROM writable), but I saw no switches anywhere. I just presumed the battery was dead, it had sat a long time. I bought a new batt for 13 bucks...it has not arrived yet.

FWIW, I downloaded all the updates for Mint today. All things considered, it runs surprisingly well. Dandy little web browser.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Where is this switch? Mine doesn't charge either, but I put the bottom back on and no screws are missing. The bottom had to be removed to hack the firmware (you have to remove a screw to make the BIOS ROM writable), but I saw no switches anywhere. I just presumed the battery was dead, it had sat a long time. I bought a new batt for 13 bucks...it's not arrived yet.

FWIW, I downloaded all the updates for Mint today. All things considered, it runs surprisingly well. Dandy little web browser.
                            look near the exhaust vent with the back off and you will see a microswitch, you can tape it shut with the back off and the battery should charge, also ive noticed with acers sometimes they have to be plugged in for hours before the battery starts to charge.
                            My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                              look near the exhaust vent with the back off and you will see a microswitch, you can tape it shut with the back off and the battery should charge, also ive noticed with acers sometimes they have to be plugged in for hours before the battery starts to charge.
                              It's been plugged in for days....no go. I'll take a peek tomorrow. Batt indicator just says 'not charging' (in both windows and Linux)...its sitting @ 13%, but if you unplug it, it dies instantly...which is what lead me to conclude bad batt.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

It's been plugged in for days....no go. I'll take a peek tomorrow. Batt indicator just says 'not charging' (in both windows and Linux)...its sitting @ 13%, but if you unplug it, it dies instantly...which is what lead me to conclude bad batt.
                                Defo a bad battery. Had a HP DV6000 do the same, except it would say charging. I could see the LED for charging reset each time it tried to charge the battery past 13%.

Ironically, the same battery started charging on another DV6000 that had a Intel board(mine was AMD) , and could keep charge just fine.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Battery charge controller was probably sensing a major cell imbalance past 13% and resetting the charge controller to stop it from charging, while at the same time, locking itself out so the battery is electrically isolated from the rest of the machine.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Maybe? It wouldn't kill power instantly if I unplugged it.

Anyways, scored a new board for my DV6000 (actually the whole bottom case, w/ Intel board (and a free T7250)) and it's a Intel. At least this one doesn't heat up so bad compared to the old AMD board that had a Go7200. (this one came with a 8400M GS 256MB).

Wonder if I can find a way to flash the VBIOS to report itself as a 8400M GT. That'd be interesting to test.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

(sigh) Thought I had rescued four 1T 15K SAS drives. Should have looked closer; two 1T's and two 450G's. <frown> Well, still a bargain at "free"!

Time to add another shelf to the SAN...

Comment

Yup, just as I suspected, it was definitely the battery. Replacement came today, and life is now good....this post from it, on batt power....and it charges too!

FWIW, I did find the little switch, its on the opposite side of the exhaust fan.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Yup, just as I suspected, it was definitely the battery. Replacement came today, and life is now good....this post from it, on batt power....and it charges too!

FWIW, I did find the little switch, its on the opposite side of the exhaust fan.
                                          glad to hear it works, I knew it was at the back of the unit but your right other side of exhaust fan OOPPS

Comment

Working...
                                          X