ELITEBOOK FOLIO 9470m System Fan (90B) Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ELITEBOOK FOLIO 9470m System Fan (90B) Error

Someone pls help. I have Elitebook Folio 9470m laptop that its fan has been tested okay, even on other motherboard, but it continued showing same error and fan won't spin. System shuts down when hot. What chip can I check for this error?

Re: ELITEBOOK FOLIO 9470m System Fan (90B) Error

Fans are controlled by KBC

There is some small stuff creating data lines you can check.

How did you test the fan? -oh i see on other board - that sux means its board fault. Check page 22

here - have an schematic :P
    Attached Files

Comment

@reassor. Yes, the fan tested ok and worked on similar laptop, but it didn't work on that particular one. Thanks so far, I will check the schematic now.

Comment

@reassor; is there any KBC pin I could reset or test with multimetre to pin down the error? I count on your continued assistance, Bro.

Comment

Not that simple if its kbc.

First off check if thats your motherboard i gave you schematic for. There should be string of numbers on 1 side printed on mobo.

But it should be simmilar in general. As you can see on schematic page 22 :

- TACH_FAN_IN_1126 goes directly to KBC
          - PWM_3S_FAN# comes from KBC
          - THERM# comes from U4450

Lines with # mean they activate when they are low

Lets say U4300 has 5v on pin 5 and pin 1 and 2 have around 3.3v ).
          Then the logic gate will stay closed and you will have no voltage on pin 4.

In reality 1 and 2 will or should stay above 1-2v for gate to stay closed and if you reach 0.8v - 0.0v on both then gate will open and fan will get its "power"

This is all theory.

Check resistors R4300 (22ohm) and R4301 (0 ohm)

If nothing of this works or is too hard for you :

TBH if thats your laptop and you do not care too much about noise just create a jumper between pin 5 of U4300 (if there is 5v) and pin 1 of R4300
          Fan should start spinning full blast (i hope its a 5v fan )

Comment

@reassor. Thanks alot, board is 6050A2569401-MB-A01. Yes, it is a 5v fan, but most of the time, I get either 5v or 5.1v on pin 1 of CN4300 (FAN connector). Pls, is that fluctuating voltage okay?

Comment

@reassor. U4300 pin 1 has fluctuating voltage of between 0.5v to 1.3v, pin 2 has around 2.8v but sometimes goes up to 3.1v, pin 3 looks GND, pin 4 has no voltage at all. Regards.

Comment

@ reassor. Thank you a million times. I created a jumper between U4300 pin 5 and R4300 pin 1. Fan now spins, though steady. I am so grateful, but please always feel free to assist me some other time(2). I am a newbie. Cheers, Mentor!

Comment

R4300 is there to lower that incoming 5v alittle im guessing to something like 4.8v

Pin 4 did not have voltage cause THERM# didnt get into "low" state to open the logic gate.
                  You by creating that jumper just bypassed the whole thing ;p

no speed control but atleast its cooling right?

I'm begginer as well even tho im 40y old ;p - so always check my thinkin - i can be wrong (im most of the time - its called learning)
                  Last edited by reassor; 10-28-2021, 12:17 PM. Reason: just glad i could help.

Comment

if you want to experiment alittle i would suggest lifting up pin 2 from U4300 (desoldier this pin only and bend it up) since it seems like this line is blocking the gate - there might be something wrong with U4450 or R4453. Before doing that get rid of the jumper.

By lifting pin 2 of U4300 you making that line low always so only pwm line will have actual impact on the gate. Since you wrote that its going "0.5v to 1.3v" - it should trigger the gate - its just for sience
                    Last edited by reassor; 10-28-2021, 03:22 PM. Reason: adding stuff

Comment

Thank you so much @ reassor. Yea, U4450 is the thermal sensor IC. Finding most tiny components as capacitors and resistors is difficult as there are no labels for most of them. I will try harder to find them.

Comment

im happy i could help with stuff i learned since i joined here
                        im also happy you could understand what i was trying to explain as a noob im

so happy story - 1 noob helped another one ^^

im drunk ;p

Just out of curriosity - do you still get fan error? (KBC related)
                        Last edited by reassor; 10-29-2021, 11:25 AM. Reason: adding stuff

Comment

@ reassor. Yes, the first time the laptop booted up after the jumper, it showed fan error, but when I set time through the BIOS, it didn't come back again. Though, I noticed graphics of the laptop changed and looked garbled and colours change intermittently. Mentor, is there any materials that would assist me better read schematic diagrams and solved related board issues (videos, pdf and related). Please, assist me once more. I ever appreciate.

Comment

I will show you a trick to solve the right and left click problem that does not work on Hp Laptops (the present case here is Hp Folio 9470m)
                            Attached Files
                            Smile at Grace, Well-being is in sharing By Giving something else to You

Comment

Can anyone give me boardview for Elitebook Folio 9470m? Your assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Hi, i had the same issue with hp folio 9470m where the system is booting normaly but the the cooling fan couldn't run causing system fan (90B) error. I tried your method of shorting pin 5 and 1 but unfortunately the fun couldn't run whereas i had tried it with another board but it ran perfectly. So probably its damaged, but when i tried with another fan it was running when i short pin 5 and 1.
                                And my question is, can this AND gate be replaced with an equvalent AND gate available or ot needs the same gate replacement?

Comment

See attached - you are referencing U4300 single AND gate ?

This is not a critical gate and can be replaced with any brand that will physically fit on the PCB.

The part is a SOT23-5 = SOT25 = SMV package. They are all the same dimensions / pinout. The gate is to work @ 3v3 which is common to most of the parts on the market. Do check the Vcc (working voltage) of the device before purchasing.

If in doubt, link the datasheet of what you plan to purchase for another review.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi, am erick_njomo and am new in BADSCAPS.NET FORUM. i would like to gain some ideas on pc troubleshooting skills, i have a HP ELITEBOOK 840 laptop and at first it was just showing dark screen and light on the power button, henceforth later, when i try to plug in the charger, charger adapter led goes of, showing like a shortcircuit sort of, because while trying to insert the charger head some sort of shortcircuit sound is heard and a burning smell around the charger head input.
                                    Please, assist on this issue.

Comment

@mon2 thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Erick_njomo View Post
                                        Hi, am erick_njomo and am new in BADSCAPS.NET FORUM. i would like to gain some ideas on pc troubleshooting skills, i have a HP ELITEBOOK 840 laptop and at first it was just showing dark screen and light on the power button, henceforth later, when i try to plug in the charger, charger adapter led goes of, showing like a shortcircuit sort of, because while trying to insert the charger head some sort of shortcircuit sound is heard and a burning smell around the charger head input.
                                        Please, assist on this issue.
                                        Its a different model to the 9470m,which is what this thread topic is about.Start a new thread please.
                                        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
                                        X