Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

I have been using 2R5TPE330M9 from an Aliexpress seller. There are some on ebay also.
    I have been warned that the part numbers can be fake. I tested some of mine lately. The ESR measured close to the specified 9 milliohms.
    extra:
    These seem to be the best price, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10pcs-Ori...cAAOSw9N1V2EHK
    Last edited by rievax_60; 01-03-2016, 04:17 PM. Reason: extra

Comment

e89 not success too something

Comment

hello everyone
        Today i got time to replace my toshiba A300 nec\tokin cap with 4 330uF 2.5V.
        I solder the + of the cap to the outer line and the - to the inner line and i putted back every thing and...... BOOOOOM NOTHING HAPPENED.
        At first it did power up but without display and after a min i powered off the laptop and now it wont power on and with no LEDS
        WHAT DID I DO WRONG!!!!!!!

P.S
        i 4got to take pics. sorry.

Comment

Hi either bad token caps under cpu or just bad battery also on amd models only cmos battery under 3v again only on amd platforms
          Techman1025

Comment

Originally posted by techman1025 View Post
            hi either bad token caps under cpu or just bad battery also on amd models only cmos battery under 3v again only on amd platforms
            techman1025
            what???????????

Comment

I have had good experience with the 330uF tantalum caps from this seller at AliExpress:
              http:/aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-SMD-tantalum-polymer-capacitors-2R5TPE330M9-2-5V-330UF-POSCAP-polymer-capacitance-ENGINEERING-OF/32403881109.html

First repair (an L300) last year went flawless except for a slight warping of not too well covered case plastic.. (No, I do not take the motherboard out all the way).

Steps followed:

- Bought a 'non working' L300 Toshiba, complete but rebooting, for €20

- Disassembled re http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...-process-1.htm, but only up to having access to the Tokin, eg step 15

- covered the whole with 4-fold folded aluminium foil, pressed it on the Tokin, and only cut out a rectangle slightly larger than the cap. Kept the rest well covered and pressed the aluminium well around the Tokin cap.

- put a paint stripper hot gun on the cap until loose. (about 8 minutes) Still stuck. Took it out in parts using heat and scalpel.
              - Removed the excess solder with solder remover wick.
              - Put on four of the above mentioned caps slightly diagonally with low heat Sn/Pb resin core solder.

- Reassembled the laptop together using the 27 or so removed screws. Switched it on.
              - Patted myself on the back: '" well done, boy "

- Gave the well working laptop away to a needy person. Still in use after 8 months.

Bought an A300-U29 this week (€ 15). Reboots ... Just came i yesterday. Looking forward to the weekend. I still have 15 caps left from the above mentioned seller.

Endnote: But I did buy a hot-air soldering system. The hot-air paint stripper - a 35 year old Black-and-Decker - works OK, but is a little unwieldy. Although it repaired also bad-balled Nvidia chips in two (previously!) non-working Medion laptops. And I need the hot-air station for HP 200LX palmtop screen reflow anyway...
              Last edited by journeymanny; 02-10-2016, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Another successful repair, using caps from old scrap boards.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello everyone.
                  I did a repair using scrap boards.When i start the laptop, the on light turns ON,The HD lamp just flashes and the fan in working fine.After 5 sec the lamp just turns OFF and after 2 more sec it turns ON again the fan start working again, but nothing works and there is no screen.Where can my mistake be? I have tryed that with different scrap boards and capacitors.
                  Thanks
                  Attached Files

Comment

Maybe you need more capacitors

Comment

I have tried 6- 5x330 and1x220 and again to upper case.Оf these
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by tempro; 02-22-2016, 01:46 PM.

Comment

hey guys. i have a problm with my toshiba satellite a300. when i plug in th adaptor, it shuts down and i remove the net tokin. i got the same tokin from china and now the laptop turns on but without display. am i doing something wrong? i am holding the tokin with my finger to test
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi to eveyone,

I have an Acer 6920g laptop with following symptoms:It is restarting when I plug in AC charger and it is crashing before restaring.When the laptop runs only with battery I don't have any problem.I have tested the dc jack and the power supply with success.Reading the posts of the forum I suggest that I have a damaged nec/tokin 0e907 capacitor and I have ordered yesterday 4xsmd talantum capacitors 330uf 2.5v .Are these capcitors suitable?I would like to help me with the replacement process.Is it difficult to remove nec/tokin with a sharp knife and soldering then the capacitors.What tools and materials are necessary to have in order to get the best result?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by marsele View Post
                            Hi to eveyone,

I have an Acer 6920g laptop with following symptoms:It is restarting when I plug in AC charger and it is crashing before restaring.When the laptop runs only with battery I don't have any problem.I have tested the dc jack and the power supply with success.Reading the posts of the forum I suggest that I have a damaged nec/tokin 0e907 capacitor and I have ordered yesterday 4xsmd talantum capacitors 330uf 2.5v .Are these capcitors suitable?I would like to help me with the replacement process.Is it difficult to remove nec/tokin with a sharp knife and soldering then the capacitors.What tools and materials are necessary to have in order to get the best result?

Thank you.
                            Basically should be a failed Tokin. You need a hot air blower to remove the chip. 4pcs Tantalum should be sufficient, but you can search within this forum, as it can be fitted with 6pcs, and last longer. Remember to cover the adjacent area so you don't damage other parts.
                            Mainly repair laptops, sometimes LCD/LED monitors. Also accepts changing/reballing/reflow BGA job request.

Comment

Just curious...
                              Am I the only A300 user that hasn't problems with NEC TOKIN capacitor since I bought the laptop? Everything in my Satellite A300 (model: Satellite A300-1MM) is OK.

Comment

probably kept cpu temperature low, helping the tokin cap stay ok

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                  probably kept cpu temperature low, helping the tokin cap stay ok
                                  I hadn't cleaned my laptop since i bought it and it was reaching 100oC!
                                  I cleaned it before three weeks and I applied new thermal paste and now it does not go above 74oC in 100% load!

Comment

Hey All!
                                    Chiming in as I have a Toshiba Satellite Model l355-s7812, I must admit I screwed up and did not record which of the 2 chips I had(it was one of them). Anyway I just ordered these of FLEE BAY
                                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400823984919...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just let me know if they seem in spec's, I read the whole thread(took a few days) I still don't know how to read the writing on the new one's and just want to be safe.I know someone posted the link to help reading them, but I read this over several days.......
                                    THANK YOU!
                                    X99 5930K
                                    X99-gaming 9
                                    EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                                    Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                                    SSD'S
                                    Corsair AX1200

Comment

Opps: just to add it was working fine with only battery then reboot with power plug. I'll pop the power brick open.
                                      X99 5930K
                                      X99-gaming 9
                                      EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                                      Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                                      SSD'S
                                      Corsair AX1200

Comment

Good information abalcon64.
                                        Just joined to find solution to locking up Toshiba A300 on ac power.
                                        Investigated caps 330uf 2.5V but none have anywhere as low an ESR as the original
                                        Tokin.
                                        Can you recommend minimum ESR rating that needs to be used?

Comment

Take a look on schematics from other similar laptops, there you will find your answer. Me, i have always used capacitors marked "330" from scrap boards, like this:

None of the fixed laptops ever came back.
                                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                                          X