This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION

Willawake says : Sorry dood, i edit your post to say that this is the discussion about the psu pictorial thread. if you want to say it, please say it here.
    Last edited by willawake; 01-07-2006, 05:15 PM.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

Originally posted by japlytic
    ABS-6G76 satellite receiver
    MDS STB3110 satellite receiver
    Topfield TFPVR5000t
    Hey japlytic.

I have had a Topfield TFPVR5000t since March04. (The Toppy is the best toy EVER, IMHO)
    What is your opinion of the PSU and the caps on it, and the caps on the main board for that matter?
    I notice alot of them are "Sam Young", while the big one is a "Sam Wha".

I open it up regularly for HD removal/quick-transfer (I've got a WD250 in it) and do a quick visual inspection of the caps each time, just for safe measure.
    Last edited by willawake; 01-07-2006, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cods69
      Hey japlytic.

I have had a Topfield TFPVR5000t since March04. (The Toppy is the best toy EVER, IMHO)
      What is your opinion of the PSU and the caps on it, and the caps on the main board for that matter?
      I notice alot of them are "Sam Young", while the big one is a "Sam Wha".

I open it up regularly for HD removal/quick-transfer (I've got a WD250 in it) and do a quick visual inspection of the caps each time, just for safe measure.
      I had mine since early 2005. Topfield must have later gone onto the cheaper Samxon capacitors for the mainboard, compared to your earlier one. The components in the power supply were quite decently sized, and has been fine for over a year, despite running a little hot.
      Last edited by willawake; 01-07-2006, 05:18 PM.
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I've had bought 300W Maxpower/Everpower PSU as a replacement for SkyHawk 250W - but it was weaker and the voltages were bad - so I promptly bought DTK PTP-3007 and sold that crap.

Comment

my 250W Channel Well CWT-250ATX is approximately 12 years old. This PSU is so old, the 92mm fan blows into the computer case instead of into the PSU.

Primary caps are 470uf Matsushita, secondary side is a forest of Fuhjyyu... not one appears bad. This PSU was in regular use up until a month ago.
          Last edited by willawake; 01-07-2006, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Can't be 12. There was no ATX before 1997 (IIRC). And I see "98" on the transformer.

Comment

I guess '98 would be about right - I only got that unit and a 10gb IMB hard drive a year ago in exchange for a Fujitsu 6.4gb hard drive. It belonged to a friend, who bought the case it came in well before I'd even met him.

As it turned out, the IBM was DOA so I'm not sure I got the better part of that bargain

Comment

Notice the nice substantial heatsinks on the Deltas (and O/P trannies) and the Sparkle? Ya gotta keep the junction temps on those O/P rectifiers and power MOSFETS (possibly power transistors in the Sparkle) within reason. The power ratings are real on those.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Did you also notice what appears to be a large burnt spot on the above Sparkle? I only noticed it after I posted the picture here... As far as I know, the PSU is still operating normally.
                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood
                    Did you also notice what appears to be a large burnt spot on the above Sparkle?
                    Was it caused by the larger resistor that's standing up? Because in either a 300W or 350W Fortron/Sparkle, I found that such a resistor was dissipating almost exactly its max power rating, either 5/8W or 1W. Aren't resistors supposed to be rated for at least twice their operating power?

Comment

Yes, I did see that. It looks like a 1W or (more likely) 2W. It could be disspating its rated power or a bit more, or it may simply be mounted too close to the PCB. Normal design practice at places I've worked at was to mount resistors 1/2W and higher spaced off the PCB to avoid scorching the board. Good design practice would be to use resistors at ~70% or less than their reated power (taking into account the operating ambient temp. US mil-spec requires 50% max.
                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                        L&C DR-A300ATX, 300w, +5v 30a, +12v 10a, +3.3v 20a. +5v & +3.3v 160w max. 470uf VIVA primaries, secondary side Jun Fu & Rulycon, 2 caps and fan missing due to started recap work...

You're going to recap an L&C?

Since there is no ugly integrated-into-PSU-case fan grill on that, does it use a removable wire fan grill?

Please post the after-the-recap photo of that L&C after you recap it.
                        My gaming PC:
                        AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                        ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                        PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                        G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                        TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                        WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                        ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                        Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                        Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                        Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                        Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                          You're going to recap an L&C?

Since there is no ugly integrated-into-PSU-case fan grill on that, does it use a removable wire fan grill?

Please post the after-the-recap photo of that L&C after you recap it.
                          Nahh, it was just for fun... And to have an emergency extra PSU at hand...

I already recapped it, See here...

The missing fan was because I put a 92mm fan in the bottom of the PSU instead, to reduce noise. And because the 80mm one started to fail and I had a 92mm one just on my bench

That PSU came from a real cheap case, has powered a friends comp a few months before he got a real PSU, and after that my brothers till the caps failed and it would no longer turn on...
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

FSP700-80GLC power supplies as research have shown are 700W power supplies.
                            Maybe they used the board for the FSP700-80GLC but changed the components?
                            Last edited by willawake; 01-07-2006, 05:33 PM.
                            My gaming PC:

Comment

Probably. The protection circuitry board is also marked "FSP700-60GLN." Not that I need the extra power

The OST caps worry me a bit though.

Comment

The heatsinks in the 300W P/S are larger than the 400W? Puhlease! And there is no fring way those heatsinks in the "600W" unit are good for 600W continuous! 200W continuous might be pushing your luck.
                                PeteS in CA

Comment

I trust Fortron to rate their units more or less accurately - this one's supposedly 85% efficient, so the sinks wouldn't need to be quite as big as my maybe 65% efficient 530W with monster heatsinks. I've seen Tom's Hardware pull the full 700W from Aopen's version of the FSP700-80GLN too without issues. The sinks in that one are even smaller to allow the 120mm fan. Not sure about the 600W rating myself, but I am quite sure it'll do more than 200W.

Forgot to mention earlier that topmost sink is bolted to the case. I really need a digital camera

Comment

(referrng to the FSP460-60PFN) Holy packed, man! Does air actually flow through that? Sorry... I just had to comment...
                                    Last edited by willawake; 01-07-2006, 05:35 PM.
                                    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

looks like my fsp300-60gt.
                                      7 years of 24/7/365 and the yec caps are just starting to go.
                                      not bulging or leaking.just more ripple than i like to see.wasnt causing a problem yet but i will recap anyway.found during a routine cleaning and pm .
                                      confirms that bad qc may be the reason for bad caps.yec are well known crap but we have some here with lots of hard hours on them that are just now failing.
                                      btw i see a few fsp psu on sale at 22.00.
                                      i think the store ordered some so expect a full report :-)

Comment

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                        Enermax EG365AX FMA, 353w, +5v 32a, +12v 26a, +3.3v 32a. +5v & +3.3v 185w max. 220uf Hitachi primary cap, secondary side Pce-Tur, no bulging after years of use...
                                        That's some good 350W power supply, but the pictures were a bit big.
                                        My gaming PC:

Comment

Working...
                                        X