HP ProBook 4510s low voltage battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP ProBook 4510s low voltage battery

From AliExpress I bought battery described as replacement for HP HSTNN-IB89 which is 14.4V

What eventually arrived is marked HSTNN-1B1D, 10.8V

Contacted vendor who said “Our battery is 10.8V ,you can install it to see if charge”

Advised vendor that I was unwilling to risk damaging notebook by using battery 75% of required voltage

After opening dispute with AliExpress, vendor subsequently said “we have checked it,they are compatible you can used it”

Should I believe vendor, or is there downside(s) to trying lower voltage battery?
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: HP ProBook 4510s low voltage battery

Perhaps your aliexpress battery has lower cell counts then the original one. Should work but eventually you will have lower backup hours.

Comment

Thanks mcplslg123

I've now fitted the battery, which worked fine and charged up without issue

FWIW, this is the second Jigu branded battery I've bought

Other was for a VAIO VGN-FW41E, where it's still going well after ~25 days

Unlike HSW one from Aliexpress' Sunway Electronic Store which died before 10 recharges in same ProBook 4510s

Contacted latter vendor who asked questions about how battery was treated, then stopped communicating after being unable to elicit any proof of abuse

Jigu ones came in branded boxes with English and Cyrillic writing - HSW in a plain brown box showing how much pride its manufacturer has in their product
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

@pfrcom, I was sure it will work but you need to observe the backup time you get from fully charged replacement battery compared to the original one. I beleive you will get almost 25% less backup hours.

Comment

Went to use ProBook after unused overnight for ~12 hours

Noticed orange charge light flickering, even though charger not plugged in

Sinking feeling, pressed power button, nothing

Notebook started with charger connected, but Windows 10 battery icon said 255% charged

Dual-boot MX Linux showed a question mark on its battery icon, right click wouldn't show any status

So:

1. Is this ProBook 4510s a battery killer?

2. Does HP somehow intentionally manage to stuff-up anything other than a genuine battery?

Comment

Market is filled with garbage batteries. I had 2 bad ones for a 4710s in a row, and happened for other laptops and for other people too.
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I discovered this application:
              PassMark BatteryMon,
              try to use it to understand the battery status

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
                PassMark BatteryMon,
                try to use it to understand the battery status
                Battery's controller seems to have had a fundamental failure (message after clicking BatteryMon Start)
                Attached Files

Comment

For comparison, here's what BatteryMon showed when I refitted the HSW battery which died before 10 recharges
                  Attached Files

Comment

Have now opened another dispute on AliExpress with vendor Top Laptop battery Electronic Technology co., LTD

Their first response – couldn't be more shifty

“Dear friend, I guess you bought wrong battery ,our battery voltage is 10.8V ,but your old battery is 14.4V .In fact, the voltage 10.8V and 14.4V is incompatible.And we did not sent wrong model ,and our battery same as description ,here is your correct battery link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1836...4b407056iYxtqW we can give you 10% discount to buy new battery ,and you can sell that wrong model to make money ,thank you .”

In contrast to their previous messages

“Our battery is 10.8V ,you can install it to see if charge”
                    and
                    “we have checked it,they are compatible
                    you can used it”

Vendor's lack of ethics illustrated by their suggestion to sell the dodgy battery they've already supplied, and misrepresented

Comment

Working...
                    X