Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Lubuntu?

Answering "Why Lubuntu"?"

I need to install Windows 10 to run a tax program. I installed it last week without any network so it let me create a local account.

Now I see this article.

I WILL NEVER use any OS that operates like below. My data is my data and it belongs to me locally.

Microsoft Wants to do Away with Windows 10 Local Accounts

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ocal-accounts/

As time goes on, it is becoming increasingly clear that Microsoft is trying to make local accounts a thing of the past and push all new Windows 10 users to a Microsoft account.

Historically, when setting up a new Windows 10 computer, users could choose to create a Local Account (Offline account) or a Microsoft Account.

A Local Account is one that is tied to the computer, cannot be used to login to other computers, is not integrated into Windows 10 cloud services such as OneDrive and the Microsoft Store, and does not require an email address.

A Microsoft Account, on the other hand, is associated with a user's email address and ties Windows 10 into all of Microsoft's cloud-based services, including Office, Outlook, OneDrive Xbox, etc.

By using a Microsoft account, Windows 10 will be more feature-rich at the expense of more visibility into your activity.

Microsoft makes it hard to create a local account

Since Windows 10 1903, Microsoft quietly changed the Windows Out-of-box Experience (OOBE) or setup experience so that many users are no longer able to create a local account during set up as they could previously.

Recently, this change also expanded to international users in India and Germany.

For those affected, the only way to create a local account during setup is to ... disconnect the computer from the Internet.

Yes, that's right, Microsoft now makes you disconnect the computer from the Internet to create a local account during setup!

If you don't want to disconnect your network, then you need to first set up Windows with a Microsoft Account and then when done with setup go into the Windows 10 'Family & other users' settings and create a local account.

Even that is a bit convoluted as you have to first start the process of creating a Microsoft account and finally on the second screen, be given the option that you wish to create a local account.

Once a local account has been created, you can delete the original Microsoft account you created during setup.
    Microsoft wants you in the cloud

As Windows 10 evolves, much of its functionality and features are tied to the cloud and your Microsoft Account.

Whether it be Your Phone, OneDrive, Office integration, Xbox, and the Microsoft Store, without a Microsoft Account Windows 10 is not as feature-rich.

Due to this, it makes sense for Microsoft to push users towards a Microsoft account rather than a local one to take advantage of all these integrated services.

Even more important, though, is all the juicy data that Microsoft can collect from a user utilizing all of their cloud-based services.

By utilizing a Microsoft account, Microsoft has greater visibility into what you are doing, searching for, and using to improve their software and promote new offerings.

While much of this data collection can be slimmed down, with our data being treated as currency, the more they can get the better.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: Why Lubuntu?

I'm still using Gentoo because of its customization and I don't like reinstalling... but it comes at a heavy CPU/RAM/disk cost. Very heavy cost...

I still am actively using an install I set up over a decade ago. Closing in on 2 decades. The hardware has changed but the software is still pretty much latest. Hardware had to change because it was getting too slow...

Comment

Working...
      X