resale value nosedived .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

resale value nosedived .

anybody besides me notice a resale value on these TVs dropping dramatically lately? For a few months now I've been trying to sell a few TVs I have around the house I have repaired. and let me tell you it is sluggish. Trying to sell these things on a website like Craigslist is almost impossible without somebody trying to talk you down so far its not even worth selling.

It was fun while it lasted but now that new companies are coming out like TCL and Hisense have completely crushed my resale value.

I've had a 55 inch LG LCD 1080p for 400USD kicking around the house now for almost 4 months and nobody even wants to try to bite on it.

I'm starting to wonder if its even worth it anymore.

I go to the department stores look at these TVs on the shelves or on display in the pictures are absolutely rubbish. The ones that I repair specially the older plasmas rival these newer sets even the older 720 p's have a way better picture. everybody wants a brand new for super flat led style TVs that seem to have a very limited lifespan and the sad thing is people know this but they still want to buy them.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Re: resale value nosedived .

Yep, ever since the black friday special started in november of last year, my sales have dropped too. And anybody that does contact about my tv's always lets me know, "That same tv is new for $400". Im not to worried about it though, still making sales, just not as easy as it used to be.

Comment

Lol totally agree. "Is that a smart tv"? No its not. Go get a computer or a boxee box. Even DVD and bluray players have smart capabilities now. I love it when people say that. I can go.down to Walmart right now and pick up a blah blah blah for that price. I tell them have fun with the reliability and call me when it blows up a month after the warranty expires. And when that happens I'll call you back with a non reparable answer cause the panel shorted. :-)

Comment

same here I have sold only one TV this year, I just listed a Vizio 47" on Craig's List. Nobody haven't to reply my ad yet, Vizio normally sale quick. I also have two 46" LED Westinghouse for sale that I have been trying to sale them since last year and I keep getting very low offers for it , like $200 to $240. I might have to consider these low offers to keep thing moving

Comment

same thing in Maryland , nobody's buying tv's or bringing them in for repairs

Comment

Getting hard in UK too, but mainly because everything is shitty LED - unreliable junk.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Same here in NY. Most TVs I fix end up getting parted out on Ebay. I just can't see myself selling a TV such as my Sony Bravia 40SL140 for $175 but that was the best offer I got in 3 weeks on Craigslist. I paid (overpaid, I know) $100 for it last August when I first got into this business and after replacing the AS15 on the Tcon I used it until I found something bigger with as good a picture. I could part it out and make more than that without even counting the panel.
              ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

The people in R.I. like to try and fix them themselves, and after they really mess them up they ask crazy prices. If I have to buy a board for a tv I will just part it out or lose money. Just may start working on I Pads or something else.

Comment

I usually either fix the bad board or buy a replacement so I can properly test everything before I part it out. I know I can always resell whatever board I buy.

Comment

Last year it was very slow for me too, this year seems better, but I'm widening my repair, I have 5 AVR Harman Kardons to repair, another Yamaha is coming, and I even try Kenwood double dins, car amps, laptops.
                    The most money I can make with TVs of course, but a little bit with many others, still adds up.

Comment

Yea I have been dabbling in PC mainboard repairs a little. If Its not at least a core i5 or i7 its not worth it

Comment

Got into this crazy hobby over a year ago. It was more for the "challenge" of repairing the non working panel. never even occurred to me to try and re-sell a repaired unit. Reason being exactly what you gentlemen have posted. Any re-sale attempt will result in negativity from most buyers eager to point out they can acquire a new set for cheap at wally world. We understand the difference in quality but the average consumer doesn't!! Nor do they care. Problem is, the market is so flooded with flat screen technology, it would be unrealistic to think a person could make their bread and butter by re-sale?? Yet......some of us are old enough to recall a time when a tv repair man was s steady solid gig. Tube tv's, they just don't make em like they use to!! Now those suckers lasted!! happy testing

Comment

You have to be realistic with your asking prices at the same time. $175 for a 40" seems about right. I would jump on it. $240 for a westinghouse 46" is spot on as well. I wouldn't hesitate to take it. The market is not what it was a year ago.

Current realistic prices around here are

32" - $100
                          40" - $150
                          42" (720p) - $150
                          42" (1080p) - $180
                          46/47" - $240
                          50" - $260

It is what it is.

Comment

I noticed it a little also, especially with craigslist.
                            But for craigslist I feel it's because of the format change they did. Since they changed the initial search to "most relevant post" instead "newest post". Most people just search and look at the first page they see whats "most relevant" now, while all the "new posted" ads can be easily skipped now.
                            Heck even I forget to change the filter to "newest" sometimes and I wondered what happened to some of my new posts.

I can usually get a sale within 3 days.
                            46": $300
                            42": $200-250
                            32": $100-140

But I find that in order to get these sales you got to be quick with the replies (like as soon as possible once the offer comes in). Otherwise they'll change their minds within the first hour...

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy1313 View Post
                              You have to be realistic with your asking prices at the same time. $175 for a 40" seems about right. I would jump on it. $240 for a westinghouse 46" is spot on as well. I wouldn't hesitate to take it. The market is not what it was a year ago.

32" - $100
                              40" - $150
                              42" (720p) - $150
                              42" (1080p) - $180
                              46/47" - $240
                              50" - $260

It is what it is.
                              Substitute £ for $ and thats about the going rate here, maybe a little lower....

I wouldn't expect more than £120 for a Sams. 42" plasma (PS-42A456) I have here...
                              --Just need to run it for a day or two and up for sale it goes....
                              TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                              http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                              PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Hmm, I can sell a 42" HD Ready TV for £180, if it's full HD around £200 to £220 is possible...
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy1313 View Post

32" - $100
                                  40" - $150
                                  42" (720p) - $150
                                  42" (1080p) - $180
                                  46/47" - $240
                                  50" - $260

It is what it is.
                                  I would agree that $175 is probably good for the average 40" but this one in particular has a Tcon which is rare and selling out of stock for $100 and up on Ebay.

Based on recent selling prices or lowest price current listings and only searching by TV model number:

Tcon- current lowest listing $141 (last 5 recent sales Jan 26 $149.99, Jan 24 $49.99 and $35.00, Jan 10 $50.00, Dec 16 $167.00)

Remote- $20.00

Balancer- $15.00

IR board- $15.00

Key control- $15.00

LVDS cable- $20.00

Power Supply- $30.00

Main current listing- $77.00 (last 3 sales- Feb 15 $50, Feb 12 $75, Jan 28 $80)

Base- $69.00

That's $402 not counting the panel.

Subtract 30% for fees, shipping, and packaging and that still leaves $281.00 and you still have the panel.

A similar panel from a KDL-40W4100 just sold for $275.00 last month and I have one currently listed for that.

If I sold the panel for $225.00 to get it gone quick and subtract 29.00 for fees, and $65.00 for packaging and worst case senario, shipping to California, that leaves $131.00.

So the total would be $412.00.

And these are real numbers. In practice I have made 2 to 3 times more by fixing a TV and then parting them out as opposed to selling them.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                    Hmm, I can sell a 42" HD Ready TV for £180, if it's full HD around £200 to £220 is possible...
                                    absolutley,i sell most 42's at an asking price of £220 across the board

with a knock,i get £180-£200,but this depends how much you pay for it ,the repair costs,most of mine is component level repair,but the repair cost can sore,when you have to buy main boards/t-cons,that just cant be repaired,sometimes it isnt worth it!,the way to make a little is if you pay £0 for a faulty tv,you then have a margin,ive been stung a couple of times and lost money.

but people latch on and dont budge on there asking price for a faulty tv,which cuts our nose out of it.

i never sell a tv without its stand,its original remote,and its been pat tested by myself,and passed for saftey.
                                    fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
                                    please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

I have a Sanyo DP46841 waiting on parts right now but I'm going to have to part it out to make a profit. I paid $70 for it, $20 for a remote, and then after 3 or 4 days of troubleshooting determined it had a bad CPU and it is unavailable. I have a main in route now at a cost of $80. So that's $170 invested. Its a pretty big panel to try to ship but I know I can do it. I just need the main so I can test it. I have no problem buying a part to test a TV with because I know I can always resell it.

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                                        I would agree that $175 is probably good for the average 40" but this one in particular has a Tcon which is rare and selling out of stock for $100 and up on Ebay.

Based on recent selling prices or lowest price current listings and only searching by TV model number:

Tcon- current lowest listing $141 (last 5 recent sales Jan 26 $149.99, Jan 24 $49.99 and $35.00, Jan 10 $50.00, Dec 16 $167.00)

Remote- $20.00

Balancer- $15.00

IR board- $15.00

Key control- $15.00

LVDS cable- $20.00

Power Supply- $30.00

Main current listing- $77.00 (last 3 sales- Feb 15 $50, Feb 12 $75, Jan 28 $80)

Base- $69.00

That's $402 not counting the panel.

Subtract 30% for fees, shipping, and packaging and that still leaves $281.00 and you still have the panel.

A similar panel from a KDL-40W4100 just sold for $275.00 last month and I have one currently listed for that.

If I sold the panel for $225.00 to get it gone quick and subtract 29.00 for fees, and $65.00 for packaging and worst case senario, shipping to California, that leaves $131.00.

So the total would be $412.00.

And these are real numbers. In practice I have made 2 to 3 times more by fixing a TV and then parting them out as opposed to selling them.
                                        this is all very true but trying to part out and sell on eBay the usual standard run-of-the-mill LCD TV you'll find that mainboards power supplies and tcon boards are usually flooded but the same boards that people are selling cheaper then what you were planning on selling for..

so if you can actually sell em and make a profit you got your hand in the bag. but what I've tried doesn't seem to happen so easily
                                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-18-2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X