MacBook Pro 17" A1297 broad red Vertical Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro 17" A1297 broad red Vertical Lines

Need your help.... I am working on a MacBook Pro logic board 820-2914-B. The initial problem was broad vertical all over the LCD screen. As per its known problem of these logic board models, the Video chip AMD 216-0810005 gets faulty., & in several case of mine a BGA reflow with new flux worked fine & the display turned to normal. In this case its not the same., I checked all the voltages as per the circuit diagram & in the end I had to replaced the BGA Video Chip AMD 216-0810005. I soldered the new chip on the board, still same. I took a known good chip, re-balled & soldered it on the logic board, still the same, no difference, the back light is bright & fine, & I see the blinking folder after a while. I read some forums & they say to replace the video ram chip (Set of 4) after checking all voltages are good. Then ordered brand new ram chip (x4) & installed them, no difference in video, still broad red vertical line. Did anyone come across like this problem? Now both the video chip & rams installed on the logic board are new & known good working. Kindly help & any tips towards this repair will be greatly appreciated. , am I doing something wrong???

Re: MacBook Pro 17" A1297 broad red Vertical Lines

Wrong VRAM strapping resistor settings?
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Thanks., so in this case what is my next step, what should I do????

Comment

Put the correct combination of GPU/VRAM/strapping resistor. If the GPU and the VRAM are the exact same model as original, no one messed with it before and no strapping resistors were knocked off that's not the issue though so try replacing GMUX.

Comment

Piernov., you are so helpful... Piernov do you know the correct combination of GPU/VRAM/strapping resistor?? as in your experience you must have come across these combinations a lot. I would appreciate if you provide me with the given combination IGPU/VRAM/strapping resistor series #s to make my life more easier, rather than searching online. I really appreciate all your help. Thank you.

Comment

i was solved the issue before its with the gmux can you attach the picture with the lines ill confirm to you is the lines same i got. sorry if any grammer mistake in my english

Comment

Thanks Sibhu, no problem about the English, no worries as long as we all understand what you mean.. I am attaching the Photo of the MacBook Problem I am having.. please have a look. Thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

Any help will be greatly appreciated.... Please educate me, thanks

Comment

this looks like a tipical bad bga chip. even if u have it new can probably be the cause.if video ram are the same exact chip no need to change the vram resistor.

u can however read somewere how to disable the dedicated amd chip and see if with integrated grapghics card u have all fine. if so probably bga chip is still a bad one.

Comment

Thanks., let me check... can you inform me from where will I get a good working AMD chipset???

Comment

I have heard this term "VRAM strapping resistor settings"..I googled it but could not find definite answers.. If someone has the time, & explain this term to all of us who are eager to know what is this "VRAM strapping resistor settings", how does it work so close with the GPU that if the setting is place wrong we will not get any video. Thanks in advance....

Comment

reflow VRAM chips

Comment

I have done this but nothing happens, just wanted to know what "VRAM strapping resistor settings" really mean???

Comment

I am so surprised that I being new in this field., many people are using this term "VRAM strapping resistor settings" but no one is considerering informing me what is this setting. Can anyone help me learning this term. Thanks

Comment

Info in the schematics is often not exhaustive and can be even wrong. Resistors must be checked on a working board with same GPU, same VRAM vendor and size.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here you go, thanks a lot... I appreciate

Comment

Working...
                                X