Samsung LN32B540 - won’t turn on but gets standby power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LN32B540 - won’t turn on but gets standby power

My Samsung LN32B540 never turned back on after I had to turn off the power at the mains at house. It won't turn on, but the red standby led lights up when it is plugged in. If I hold down the power on the remote, the standby light turns off which I think means it is trying to turn on, but there's no sound or backlight. If I try to turn it on/off from the power button on the TV instead, it doesn't do anything at all.

It was plugged into a surge suppressor and was off (on standby) when I turned off the power,, so I don't know if it got a power surge or was on its way out anyway. I opened it up to have a look, and I see at least one bad capacitor (a 1200uf 25v). Is that enough to have caused this issue? I don't have a multimeter or know how to solder, but I am willing to learn if that's all I need to do to fix it. Pics attached.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung LN32B540 - won't turn on but gets standby power

Yes it could be the only problem, only way to know is replace it, go with low esr 1200uf and 35 or 50 on the voltage for replacement, youtube has the how to videos.
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-26-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

One reason why I never leave my TV set on standby when not in use and always switch off at the mains socket. In standby some of the circuitry is still running (low power) and the capacitors tend to dry up over time. Your post is a good example of this issue.
      Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
        One reason why I never leave my TV set on standby when not in use and always switch off at the mains socket. In standby some of the circuitry is still running (low power) and the capacitors tend to dry up over time. Your post is a good example of this issue.
        Is it possible the others have dried up as well and I'll need to replace those? Or just the visibly swollen one?

Comment

I would replace the 1200µf/35v cap, and also CP809, CM804 and CM808, these 3 caps in the primary can dry out and look ok.
          Last edited by R_J; 05-26-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
            +10, and there's this for turning it off when you're just too dead tired to get up: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078J2WDL4...erz_origin3-20

Comment

Working...
            X