Mouser replacing Xicon caps with Lelon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouser replacing Xicon caps with Lelon?

I repair arcade monitors, and as such have used the Mouser lists to order just what I need for a specific monitor at the click of a button.

When I went to order some today, I was told this:

The Xicon series of Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors are obsolete. These products will be replaced by product from Lelon Electronics Corporation. Most changes, if any, are cosmetic in nature (sleeve color, sleeve text, etc.).

Once stock has been depleted, this part will no longer be available. Mouser has added a suggested replacement for the original item. It is recommended that the specifications on both items be reviewed to assure the replacement part can be used in the application. 5-0210-14
    This upsets me a bit as I've had really good luck with Xicon as a company. And I note that Lelon is on the "bad caps" list.

Re: Mouser replacing Xicon caps with Lelon?

i repair arcade monitors too,
    and i wouldnt use either of those brands.

i NEVER want to see a chassis i have repaired again - ever.
    using brands like that are likely to bring the chassis back after a year or 3.

we both know how poorly cooled most arcade cab's are.

Comment

I've never had an issue with Xicon caps. Most of my jobs are still out there on the street, years later.

Comment

Lelon is definite crap if Lelon was manufacturing Xicon then my instincts were right to stop using them. I used them a bit in the beginning before ditching them for Panasonic and Chemicon.

Check out either Panasonic, Nippon Chemicon, or Nichicons cap lineups they are way better than those Xicon ever were.

All the brands above are high quality Japanese cap manufacturers. Who most importantly don't skimp out on the aluminum purity for their caps plates.

If you use General Purpose caps alot which to my knowledge is all Xicon manufactured I'd recommend the Nippon Chemicon KMG series they are well made 105C GP caps. I always bought them from Newark.com but Mouser has them too. Just type Chemicon KMG in the search field.

If you are recapping the power supply sections though and they use switching PSUs instead of linear PSUs you'll want a low ESR series on the secondary like the Panasonic FC series for example.

I've never used Xicon but I do know that their 85C GP series has a sky blue sleeve and their 105C GP series has a radioactive green sleeve. Come to think of it Lelon uses the same color for their 105C.
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 03-20-2010, 12:47 PM.
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Man I can't believe Mouser would actually stoop so low as to sell that Taiwanese crap brand.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Xicon are good caps but little or none available in the way of low ESR.

They choose their 'equivalents' totally by data sheets which doesn't reflect the actual quality of the product.
            In other words the bean counters at Mouser are F*cking stupid because they have no real world experience.

Pass on the Lelon.
            Switch to Nichicon or Chemicon.
            Those are probably both better ESR AND cheaper than Xicon was anyway.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

guess who i'm not buying from! (if the shipping hikes weren't enough of a turnoff)

damn marketing dummies... they should have learned the lesson about having salesmen do an engineer's job from apple, the original macs and the original apple /// were both fanless-- to make them quiet-- but they got so hot they would warp floppy disks and desolder parts off the mainboards. an engineer would have known better, but the marketing idiots had no idea... and mouser has made the same blunder with cap quality...
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

i was disappointed to find lelon on mouser also
                as i had just removed a dozen or so + elite off a monitor psu

Comment

Working...
                X