EU: All phone chargers must be standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU: All phone chargers must be standard

The EU has decreed in it's almighty wisdom that all phone chargers will have to be MicroUSB in the future. This is actually a good move - no more of the boxes of old chargers for things I no longer have. I'm more than a bit concerned about the EU sticking it's oar in normally, but this seems to be a good move.

Here's a link:
    http://fudzilla.com/mobiles/item/213...phone-chargers

Shame you Americans don't have a law like this.

Re: EU: All phone chargers must be standard

So Apple will have to come out with a micro USB > dock connector?

Comment

All underwear worn must be pink.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

That's why I love Europe

Comment

or apple will no longer sell ipods and iphones in the EU...
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            Are you having a giraffe?

Comment

I think that should apply to PDAs and certain other handheld devices (even those without a phone function) as well.
              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

most new phones i have seen here are already microusb.
                makes it easy to charge friends phones in an emergency without pulling the battery and putting it on the maha.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7343
                  seems to be taking a while to get it going....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12093013

The specifications only cover chargers for smartphones because, said the Commission, these are likely to be the most widely used type of phone in Europe within the next two years.
                  lol i think we already had a thread on "dont wanna buy no smartphone"

still if it gets rid of the stupid sony ericsson connector that would be good.
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake View Post
                    still if it gets rid of the stupid sony ericsson connector that would be good.
                    And the HTC one.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      The article said that Apple was one of the companies on board with the legislation. So likely they just add an additional port to their phones in the future. Although I'd just like to see it replace the clumsy dock connector altogether.

Comment

Motorola has done away with the proprietary connector ans is using either the USB or micro USB on regular phones and bluetooth headsets. I haven't looked at the Driod-based phones they're making. (I have no want or need for a smartphone).

Remember those ***** 3-pin connectors Motorola used to have on their phones that seemed to never work?
                        Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

droid 2 and droid x use micro usb.
                          now everyone in the shop and most of our friends can share usb cables.
                          Originally posted by delaware74b View Post
                          Motorola has done away with the proprietary connector ans is using either the USB or micro USB on regular phones and bluetooth headsets. I haven't looked at the Driod-based phones they're making. (I have no want or need for a smartphone).

Remember those ***** 3-pin connectors Motorola used to have on their phones that seemed to never work?

Comment

Sounds like a useful idea to me, I guess.
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                            X