Toshiba Satellite C650 D AMD mas10ad no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Satellite C650 D AMD mas10ad no power

Hello there guys! I need some help here from the experts please! I have a Toshiba C650D AMD that does not have any signs of life.
    I was able to trace voltages across the mobo and find out that DC Battery out was 3.5V instead of the usual 10-12V. Also since this circuit is the main power supply of dc always on voltages there is no 3.3V and 5V.

I read that there is a problem with Q6002 but I am not getting any voltage in its Gate pin and that confuses. Output is 3.5V. Should that be 19V??

Please have a look at my picture. It has all my readings:

And for reference I am missing 11V on Source of Q6001:
    Originally posted by fddizon View Post
    hi,

I have here the same issue toshiba satellite c655-s5128. works on battery but not charging, does not work using AC adapter. Q6002 tested good.

max17435E
    acin 19v
    acok 5.27v
    acin 1.68v

battery connector
    pin 6-7 3.4v
    pin 5 .12v
    pin 4 0v
    pin 3 fluctuates
    pin 1-2 11v (unit off with battery)
    q6002 drain 19.24v
    q6002 source 10.96V (unit off with battery)
    gate 0v

is max7345E faulty?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 01-02-2014, 02:26 PM.

Re: Toshiba Satellite C650 D AMD mas10ad no power

Q6002 is a P channel mosfet, so it should be fully opened (conducting) when gate is low. Change it and see if it fixes the problem.

Comment

Oh, is it activated on zero voltage or low voltage (1-2 Volts)? If it is on zero voltage it is definitely defective.

Actually this is a N4800ls N-channel mosfet.
      http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds31736.pdf
      Last edited by Dimitrios; 01-02-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

My mistake, yes it is an N channel mosfet. So it is ok. The max17435 should bring ACOK to low state, when ACIN is over 1.4 V (as it is). Beacause the ACOK is high, then max17435 should be faulty. I believe i have seen a couple of Toshibas with faulty 17435 ic-s.

Comment

Yes you are right! I thoroughly inspected MAX17435 datasheet and indeed it is defective. DC power jack was shorted some time ago and maybe it caused this chip to become faulty. Ok then will try to replace it but there are almost 50 little SMD components right next to all sides of the chip and should not be easy. Will try with hot air and a preheater and definitely cover the components with aluminum tape. It is tricky though! Maybe this video will help others too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Qt5CtUlqY

Thank you very much for your help, highly appreciated!

When I have the new chip and solder it will post back the results, will take a while though!

Comment

Ok, new chip arrived and already replaced the faulty one. I am not sure if I did it right but it seems so. Now I am getting variable and not stable voltage at ACOK, between 1.4V-8V. Did I solder it correctly or the problems lies somewhere else I wonder. I think it may needed new solder there...
            What do you think guys?

Comment

Did you test Q6002?

Comment

sorry for posting here i'm noob and i need some help. I have a c850 with no power at all, no led lights, i found a schematic here but my laptop kas a hannstar motherboard i check dc jack and it has 19v. Any help will be much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrios View Post
                  Ok, new chip arrived and already replaced the faulty one. I am not sure if I did it right but it seems so. Now I am getting variable and not stable voltage at ACOK, between 1.4V-8V. Did I solder it correctly or the problems lies somewhere else I wonder. I think it may needed new solder there...
                  What do you think guys?
                  VBAT is also stable or fixed at 3.5v?

Comment

Originally posted by lord View Post
                    Did you test Q6002?
                    Drain is 19.5V, Gate is variable 0.1-1.8V and Source is variable 5.5-8.3V...

Originally posted by whaldsz View Post
                    VBAT is also stable or fixed at 3.5v?
                    VBAT also shows variable 5.5-8.3V constantly changing...

Thank you all for your help! I think something is messing my voltages on the battery section...

Comment

Measure some voltages on MAX17435 without battery
                      Pin 3 (DCIN) -
                      Pin 4 (LDO) -
                      Pin 19 (ACIN) -
                      Pin 10 (ACOK) -
                      Pin 22 (VCC) -

Comment

MAX17435 without battery:

Pin 3 (DCIN) - 18V R6016 drops it from 19.5V??
                        Pin 4 (LDO) - 5.5V
                        Pin 19 (ACIN) - 1.7V OK
                        Pin 10 (ACOK) - 0V
                        Pin 22 (VCC) - 0.2V ?Not soldered properly?

Weird. Noticed that R6014 gets 5.5V from LDO and exits 0.2V. Same with R6014.

Comment

R6014 - resistance 10 ohms ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrios View Post
                            MAX17435 without battery:

Pin 3 (DCIN) - 18V R6016 drops it from 19.5V??
                            Pin 4 (LDO) - 5.5V
                            Pin 19 (ACIN) - 1.7V OK
                            Pin 10 (ACOK) - 0V
                            Pin 22 (VCC) - 0.2V ?Not soldered properly?

Weird. Noticed that R6014 gets 5.5V from LDO and exits 0.2V. Same with R6014.
                            In your first post, pin 10 is 5.5v. After new chip is soldered, pin 10 is 0v or variable? R6014 could have changed resistance or the new chip is shorted (in this case R6014 could be getting very hot), hence, pin 22 is .2v only?

Also, it's highly possible that there's shorted/failing capacitor along VBAT rail. A quick resistance test between SOURCE of Q6002 to ground would confirm this.

Comment

Originally posted by khaahk View Post
                              R6014 - resistance 10 ohms ?
                              R6014 has 10K ohms [20K scale multimeter], should be 10 Ohms and R6016 has 230 Ohms should be 10 Ohms ,right? The rest of the resistors are measured ok within specs!

Originally posted by whaldsz View Post
                              In your first post, pin 10 is 5.5v. After new chip is soldered, pin 10 is 0v or variable? R6014 could have changed resistance or the new chip is shorted (in this case R6014 could be getting very hot), hence, pin 22 is .2v only?

Also, it's highly possible that there's shorted/failing capacitor along VBAT rail. A quick resistance test between SOURCE of Q6002 to ground would confirm this.
                              Pin 10 is 0Volts. So is and D6001 pin3. I think there is something wrong with the solder there. It seems empty without solder. Will clean flux tomorrow and see with a magnifier glass. Also Q6002 to ground tested negative no continuity.

What about the resistors? It is strange to have changed values...

Comment

about the resistors, try to replace them if possible or check the resistance out of circuit. these resistors should not read GREATER than their rated value when out of circuit.

But you should find the shorted component before you power on again, or these resistors might be busted again.

Comment

UPDATE: I bought a new motherboard and posting the correct values of MAX17435 charger plugged in without battery just for reference and to help others!

Pin 3 (DCIN) - 19V
                                  Pin 4 (LDO) - 5.5V
                                  Pin 14 (PDSL) - 27V
                                  Pin 19 (ACIN) - 1.7V
                                  Pin 10 (ACOK) - 0V
                                  Pin 22 (VCC) - 5.5V

Q6002 S-D 19V
                                  Q6002 Gate 27V
                                  R6036 27V

Comment

Where can I buy this ic chip. Mine is n4800ls 10 34

Comment

You can replace it with AO4422 just like stated at this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27041

Comment

hello i have problem with c650d main board with power button connector in board im broke the board connectors where the connector is gone to make a jumber?

Comment

Working...
                                        X