Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASUS A52JK fan at 100% speed

Originally posted by bios View Post
    Hello ala borbe, Can you please share some idea oh how to repair a corrupted bios. do you use other software to edit the eeprom? I'm using TL866CS programmer. or anyone can give some idea so we can do our home work

im interested too

Comment

well there is no magic there.. all done manually with hex editor

i was going to make some kind of mini tool, since ive taken some C++ courses but i do not have time right now (working two jobs)

anyway, i do it like this

first you make full dump of bios (in this case 4mb, file named "A52JK Bios Dump.bin")
      then download official update from Asus website (2mb named "K52JKAS.208")
      open 2mb file in hex editor
      and select first 4 or 8 bytes depending on version change (image 1)
      open dump file and do hex search for selected bytes in dump (image 2)

select all bytes from first file (ctrl+a) and paste over found bytes but be sure that found bytes and pasted bytes match adresses (image 3)

new saved file must be same size like dump file

save new file and flash with programmer

this is like a mini tut, made in educational purposes... i use this to fix asus bios, but similar method can be used for many other vendors. also thre are cases where this does not apply
      Attached Files
      Im Back... sort of...

Comment

so let me get this.

you just take the Online bios and compare it in hex editor with the original one from the notebook and if you see a line similar but corrupted you copy from the ONLINE and paste in to the original laptop bios?
        Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

yes,
          keeping first part which contains data like ME region and LAN MAC address intact and specific for that unit only... there is somewhere data on fan speed, so that must remain intact.

overwrite only main bios, which is obtain from web update, and also that is a part which get corrupted cos ezflash and bupdater only update that main part, does not touch nothing before it (i call it main cos there are data that actually initializes devices like cpu, chipset, vga, lan and then read that first part and set devices with data read from it)
          Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Thank you ala borbe for sharing your knowledge.

Comment

Good day. Since you mention about processor upgrade, I would like to ask about the same thing related to my laptop.

I own an ASUS A52JK that was bought in 2010. It comes with Intel® HM55 Express Chipset & Intel® Core™ i5 430M Processor. The specification for the laptop is available in the link below:
              https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/A52JK/specifications/

Beside the Intel® Core™ i5 430M Processor, this laptop model also comes with different processors (according to the link above), which are:
              a - Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor
              b - Intel® Core™ i5-520M Processor
              c - Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor
              d - Intel® Core™ i5-450M Processor
              e - Intel® Core™ i3-370M Processor
              f - Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor
              g - Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor

My laptop is still in good condition, however lately it feels slows whenever I'm running newer programs such as Ms Office 2013 & 2016. At first I decided to buy a newer laptop (an MSI GE62 6QD Apache Pro, an ASUS ROG GL552VW or an ASUS ROG G501VW. Before purchasing the new laptop, my friend of mine suggested me to upgrade the HDD in the laptop to SSD. After upgrading to SSD, another friend of mine suggested me to upgrade the CPU to i7 (provided that the socket is the same).

According to ark.intel.com website, the processors that are compatible with Intel® HM55 Express Chipset are listed in the link below:
              http://ark.intel.com/products/43183#@compatibility

Out of all the processors listed in the link above, I am interested with the following processors:
              a - Intel® Core™ i7-940XM Processor Extreme Edition (8M Cache, 2.13 GHz Base Frequency, 3.33 GHz Turbo Frequency, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 55 W TDP)
              b - Intel® Core™ i7-640M Processor (4M Cache, 2.80 GHz Base Frequency, 3.46 GHz Turbo Frequency, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 35 W TDP)

I have 1 question - can I simply remove the existing Intel® Core™ i5 430M Processor and then replace it with either one of the 2 i7 processors above (Intel® Core™ i7-940XM Processor Extreme Edition OR Intel® Core™ i7-640M Processor)?

If not possible, can I replace the existing Intel® Core™ i5 430M Processor with the fastest i5 processor that is compatible with Intel® HM55 Express Chipset? According to the http://ark.intel.com/products/43183#@compatibility link, the fastest compatible i5 processor is:
              a - a - Intel® Core™ i5-580M Processor (3M Cache, 2.66 GHz Base Frequency, 3.33 GHz Turbo Frequency, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 35 W TDP)

If still not possible, I think the only possible thing that I can do is to replace the existing Intel® Core™ i5 430M Processor with the fastest i5 processor that comes together with ASUS A52JK model. According to the https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/A52JK/specifications/ link, the fastest ASUS A52JK model is:
              a - Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor (3M Cache, 2.53 GHz Base Frequency, 3.066 GHz Turbo Frequency, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 35 W TDP)

I hope I can get advice and guidance from all of you regarding this matter. Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by ala_borbe View Post
                well there is no magic there.. all done manually with hex editor

i was going to make some kind of mini tool, since ive taken some C++ courses but i do not have time right now (working two jobs)

anyway, i do it like this

first you make full dump of bios (in this case 4mb, file named "A52JK Bios Dump.bin")
                then download official update from Asus website (2mb named "K52JKAS.208")
                open 2mb file in hex editor
                and select first 4 or 8 bytes depending on version change (image 1)
                open dump file and do hex search for selected bytes in dump (image 2)

select all bytes from first file (ctrl+a) and paste over found bytes but be sure that found bytes and pasted bytes match adresses (image 3)

new saved file must be same size like dump file

save new file and flash with programmer

this is like a mini tut, made in educational purposes... i use this to fix asus bios, but similar method can be used for many other vendors. also thre are cases where this does not apply
                Thanks alot

Comment

Working...
                X