Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus N71VN burned Power Connector

Hello People,
    This asus X77V as a Burned Power socket, when i connect the charger, the connector gets very hot and the IC near also gets warm.
    Motherboard is N71VN REV 2.1
    Is there a way to know if it's the socket or this IC 4835GM that is faulty ?
    Some tips please.

Attached Files

Re: Asus N71VN burned Power Connector

resolder that pin and re-test.
    look into the connector and make sure the pin is not actually burned - or you need to replace the connector - AND the one that plugs into it!

Comment

I have removed the power connector and i was having continuity between the + and -, removed the IC and still have continuity, measured some pins and i'm getting 1,2 Ohms.
      I guess that there is a short somewhere ?

Attached Files

Comment

maybe a ceramic cap - there is a member called "ratdude" with the same issue.

Comment

Remove those three filters and see if you still read 1.2 ohms at the drain of the mosfet you removed. is still then its further inside the board, if not then check the little cap probably cause. If not the cap then you might have shorts within the layers because of the burned +ve leg of the power jack

Comment

Most likely you've got burnt pcb, there was a loose connection on the input pin - temperature went up and burned the pcb inside - clean the black part (it has turned into conductive coal) and open the pcb carefully with scalpel -remove all the black residue inside the pcb. After that try to isolate so that the + an - do not make contact. It is hard to make it a good fix because the input connector gets physical handling all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by khaahk View Post
              Most likely you've got burnt pcb, there was a loose connection on the input pin - temperature went up and burned the pcb inside - clean the black part (it has turned into conductive coal) and open the pcb carefully with scalpel -remove all the black residue inside the pcb. After that try to isolate so that the + an - do not make contact. It is hard to make it a good fix because the input connector gets physical handling all the time.
              I also think that this is the cause, i will give a go in cleaning !
              Can i use a fiber glass pen to clean the coal ? or there is something better ?
              Thanks to all for the tips

Comment

pen is good

Comment

I had another Asus model do that. The short circuit was deep inside between the PCB layers. I carefully ground away the burnt material with a rotary tool until the short cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
                    I had another Asus model do that. The short circuit was deep inside between the PCB layers. I carefully ground away the burnt material with a rotary tool until the short cleared.
                    Can you explain what is "ground away the burnt material with a rotary tool" ?
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post

Meaning ground "from verb GRIND" away the burnt material.....
                      Rotary tool t.ex dremel!!
                      Last edited by tibd; 05-11-2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Is there any Hope for this guys ?
                        i have lifted the first coper layer, but as you can see there another layer Under.
                        From those that was capable repairing such mess, what are the hints ??
                        Thanks
                        Attached Files

Comment

It looks like that whole copper pad is connected to the hole where the connector lead goes in. If you scrape off the insulating layer above that large copper pad and expose the copper, you could solder a wire on that copper and then solder the wire to the connector pin.

Or, you could solder the wire directly over the ends of those three inductors or resistors which are connected in parallel. Liquid flux would help do a proper solder job.

Use a nice sharp blade to trim the copper foil that's not stuck to the pcb.
                          If there's a short around that area, you could maybe enlarge the hole, use a bit of heatshrink on the pin to prevent it from touching the edges of the hole but if there's still a short inside the pcb you have to sort that out first.
                          Last edited by mariushm; 06-25-2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                            It looks like that whole copper pad is connected to the hole where the connector lead goes in. If you scrape off the insulating layer above that large copper pad and expose the copper, you could solder a wire on that copper and then solder the wire to the connector pin.

Or, you could solder the wire directly over the ends of those three inductors or resistors which are connected in parallel. Liquid flux would help do a proper solder job.

Use a nice sharp blade to trim the copper foil that's not stuck to the pcb.
                            If there's a short around that area, you could maybe enlarge the hole, use a bit of heatshrink on the pin to prevent it from touching the edges of the hole but if there's still a short inside the pcb you have to sort that out first.
                            Thanks for your tips Buddy, but i still have the short, first i need to remove the short, + and - are shorted .

Comment

if you desolder the 3 inductors,you may limit the short to the connector-pads.

if that is the case, you can bend the pin up on the connector and link it to the other area with a jumper.

Comment

True, removing the three inductors may solve the issue. If it doesn't, the ceramic capacitor at the top (by the H6538 text) may be shorted, check that out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  if you desolder the 3 inductors,you may limit the short to the connector-pads.

if that is the case, you can bend the pin up on the connector and link it to the other area with a jumper.
                                  Yeah, good idea Pally.

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                  True, removing the three inductors may solve the issue. If it doesn't, the ceramic capacitor at the top (by the H6538 text) may be shorted, check that out as well.
                                  This is my next Step, thank you both.

Comment

Ok, No more Short between + and - (i think).

From here, how can i proceed to the next test ?
                                    If Possible please, make a drawing from the photos above.
                                    Thanks
                                    Attached Files

Comment

can you bend the socket pin up without it snapping?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        can you bend the socket pin up without it snapping?
                                        Thanks Buddy,
                                        i just measured and still this short (check picture)
                                        I'm gonna remove this smd
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X